Op Amp Circuit Analysis: Finding Unknown Voltage V(b) with R1 = 1 Ohm

In summary: After doing a kcl at the negative terminal of the op amp, I found that the voltage at the second resistor is -1.414 V. In summary, the voltage at the second resistor is -1.414 V.
dcrisci
I have this problem where it's asking for the unknown voltage V(b). What information I get is what is in the image provided and that R1= 1 ohm.

Okay so as I start this problem I remember that the voltage drop across the terminals is pretty much equal to zero because the current flowing through the terminals is zero.

So what I'm thinking is that there will not be any current in resistor R1 because it is attached to the terminals and there is no current through the terminals. This means that the voltage at the non-inverting terminal will be equal to -1V and it will be the same at the inverting terminal (because of the no voltage across the terminals). Here's where I get confused (IF I'm still right up until this point).

I'm confused on where the current is coming from and where it is going but This is how I thought the problem would be solved. Would I use KCL equations from current flowing out of resistors 2R1 and 3R1 at the node to the right of 2R1 to find the voltage V(b) ? I keep thinking that the feedback loop (wire with resistor 7R1) needs to be included in this but am not totally sure how to go about this.

If I'm on the right track then that is awesome! Thanks for anyone's help before hand!

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1396462772.144014.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. Do a kcl at the negative terminal of the op amp.

That makes me so happy to hear that I'm actually on the right track with this for once! Hahah

I'll try it out and get back to here in a bit. Thank you!

dcrisci said:
Okay so as I start this problem I remember that the voltage drop across the terminals is pretty much equal to zero because the current flowing through the terminals is zero.

That's not quite right. There is no voltage difference between the input terminals, and no current flowing into them, for an ideal op-amp.

Current can flow into or out of the output terminal.

AlephZero said:
That's not quite right. There is no voltage difference between the input terminals, and no current flowing into them, for an ideal op-amp.
Current can flow into or out of the output terminal.
Okay thank you for that correction, I also kind of neglected the output terminal for this because I thought it wouldn't be needed to find the voltage at the second resistor

Related to Op Amp Circuit Analysis: Finding Unknown Voltage V(b) with R1 = 1 Ohm

What is an Op Amp circuit analysis?

An Op Amp circuit analysis involves the use of operational amplifiers (Op Amps) to analyze and solve various electronic circuits. It is a common technique used in circuit design and troubleshooting.

How do you find the unknown voltage V(b)?

To find the unknown voltage V(b), you can use Ohm's Law (V=IR) to calculate the voltage drop across the resistor (R1 = 1 Ohm). Then, you can use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to set up an equation with the known and unknown voltages in the circuit and solve for V(b).

What is the significance of R1 = 1 Ohm in this circuit?

The value of R1 (1 Ohm) is important in determining the voltage drop across the resistor and ultimately, the unknown voltage V(b). It is also used to calculate the current flowing through the circuit.

What are the key components of an Op Amp circuit?

The key components of an Op Amp circuit include the operational amplifier, resistors, capacitors, and power supply. The Op Amp is the main component that amplifies and processes the input signal, while the other components are used to set the gain, frequency response, and other characteristics of the circuit.

How can Op Amp circuit analysis be applied in real-world scenarios?

Op Amp circuit analysis is commonly used in various electronic devices, such as audio amplifiers, signal processors, and sensors. It is also used in circuit design and troubleshooting in industries like telecommunications, automotive, and medical equipment.