Op amp integrator. design calculation not matching experiment.

In summary: And a sinewave will put an integrator in the linear range, so it'll look like an integrator. But don't depend on this for precision. The 741 is not precision.
ttttrigg3r
classic_circuit_1000.jpg

For the above op amp circuit: Vin= squarewave with 10Vpp and 1kHz. C=0.01uF. Vcc and -Vcc is 15V and -15V. Using the above specs, I calculate R using these equations:
C0328-Equation3.gif

Requirement: Create a triangle wave with output voltage Vo to be 10Vpp.
This is a gain of 1. Using the above, I find R=1/(2*pi*1000kHz*0.01uF)=15915 Ohm.
I used resistors to get up to 15.8ohms to be the input resistance.
Theoretically, this would give me close to the 10Vpp I want.
Experiment:
Using a 741 Op Amp and a 103 capacitor (0.01uF), I built the circuit and measured with O-scope. The output was 15Vpp. This is 50% off of the expected 10Vpp

What is the explanation for my experimental values to be way off?
Someone told me that the parts I'm using are probably not very accurate to their ratings, but it shouldn't cause this much of a difference.
I've also tried different capacitors and still the same thing happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vin= squarewave with 10Vpp and 1kHz.
R=1/(2*pi*1000kHz*0.01uF)=15915 Ohm.

yet you used 15.8 ohms...

also : You'll find out quickly how difficult it is to keep an AC integrator zero-centered.
Place a few megohms around your capacitor so it'll have some DC feedback.
Make sure RfeedbackCintegrator time constant is way longer than RinputCintegrator and you'll still have an approximately pure integration of your square wave input..

jim hardy said:
yet you used 15.8 ohms...

also : You'll find out quickly how difficult it is to keep an AC integrator zero-centered.
Place a few megohms around your capacitor so it'll have some DC feedback.
Make sure RfeedbackCintegrator time constant is way longer than RinputCintegrator and you'll still have an approximately pure integration of your square wave input..
I'm sorry I meant to write 15.8k. I did try a 2Mohm resistance across the capacitor. I'm still puzzled by the gain difference.

ttttrigg3r said:
What is the explanation for my experimental values to be way off?
Assuming a 50 % duty cycle, 10 Vpp, 1 kHz square wave input centered at 0 V, you apply ±5 V for 500 µs. That's an increment of:
$$
\Delta v_\mathrm{out} = \pm \frac{1}{15.8\cdot10^3 \cdot 0.01 \cdot 10^{-6}} \cdot 5 \cdot 500 \cdot 10^{-6} \, \mathrm{V} \approx \pm 15.8 \, \mathrm{V}
$$

Sanity check on the arithmetic:

Opamp basics: Iin = Ifeedback

Iin = 5volts/15.8K = 316 microamps
so Ifeedback must be the same

i=Cdv/dt,
so dv/dt = i/C
dv/dt = 316E-6/.01E-6 = 31600 volts/sec = 31.6 volts/ millisec,
That's 15.8 volts every half millisec.

About what you got ?

This is a gain of 1.
It doesn't work that way for integrators.

The gain of an integrator has units of volts per second per volt, or secs-1 for short.

* anyone figured out how to get sub- and super-scripts in this new software?

hmmm... M. Y. and N. O. - i like your more scholarly approaches.if gain is the term before the integral, 1/RC,

gain is 1/(15800 X 10^-8) = 1/.000158 = 6239

which with five volts of input will integrate at 31645 volts/sec , 31.6 volts/millisec, 15.8 volts per half cycle of a 1khz square wave.

Hmmm. same number i got by nuts&bolts method of evaluating currents.

So that integrator, with an input of +/- 5 volt square wave centered on zero, should swing between 7.9 volts above and 7.9 volts below wherever its output is centered (remember initial condition with integral).

OP reported 15V p-p, plenty close enough for 10% components and reading a 'scope screen by eye.

I just love it when math and hardware agree.

old jim

jim hardy said:
So that integrator, with an input of +/- 5 volt square wave centered on zero, should swing between 7.9 volts above and 7.9 volts below wherever its output is centered (remember initial condition with integral).

OP reported 15V p-p, plenty close enough for 10% components and reading a 'scope screen by eye.
I'd guess the OP sees ##\approx##15 Vpp since it's likely that the feedback cap starts out discharged. The opamp then just repeatedly swings from 0 V to one of its rails. IIRC one of the 741 packages can swing rail-to-rail if its output sees a high impedance (the oscilloscope probe should qualify).

milesyoung said:
I'd guess the OP sees ≈15 Vpp since it's likely that the feedback cap starts out discharged. The opamp then just repeatedly swings from 0 V to one of its rails.
That's quite possible. Mother Nature loves to toy with us...

Maybe he'll post a scope trace.
With a 25K resistor , both with and without a couple megs of DC feedback..

Thanks. I'm going to redo the circuit whenever I can. So from what I've seen here, my calculations and understanding of the gain is incorrect. Let me see if I can redo my math.

oops deleted an accidentt...

Gain for a sinewave will be different than for square. Integrating a sinewave doesn't change its shape like it does for square.

Related to Op amp integrator. design calculation not matching experiment.

1. Why is the output of my op amp integrator circuit not matching the calculated value?

There could be several reasons for this discrepancy. One possibility is that there are errors in your circuit design or construction. Double check all of your connections and component values. Another possibility is that the op amp you are using does not have ideal characteristics, such as input offset voltage, which can affect the output. Additionally, noise and parasitic effects can also contribute to the difference between calculated and experimental results.

2. How can I improve the accuracy of my op amp integrator circuit?

There are a few steps you can take to improve the accuracy of your circuit. First, use high quality components with low tolerances to reduce errors. Next, consider using an op amp with better characteristics, such as lower input offset voltage. You can also add filtering components, such as capacitors, to reduce noise and parasitic effects.

3. Can I use any op amp for an integrator circuit?

Technically, any op amp can be used for an integrator circuit. However, it is important to consider the characteristics of the op amp, such as input offset voltage and bandwidth, to ensure it is suitable for your specific application. Some op amps may be better suited for integrator circuits than others, so it is important to do thorough research before selecting an op amp.

4. How do I choose the values for the resistor and capacitor in an op amp integrator circuit?

The values for the resistor and capacitor in an op amp integrator circuit depend on the desired output voltage, input signal frequency, and op amp characteristics. The resistor value will determine the gain of the circuit, while the capacitor value will determine the cutoff frequency. It is important to choose values that will give you the desired output without causing stability issues or excessive noise.

5. Is there a limit to the input signal frequency that can be used in an op amp integrator circuit?

Yes, there is a limit to the input signal frequency that can be used in an op amp integrator circuit. This limit is determined by the op amp's bandwidth and the values of the resistor and capacitor in the circuit. If the input signal frequency is too high, the output will become distorted and the circuit may become unstable. It is important to choose values that will allow for the desired input signal frequency without causing these issues.