Open Office Calc (Ersatz Excel) formula

In summary, the standings for each team are as follows: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I want a column in my score chart that displays ... "standings"
I want a column that displays what standing each team has. (I can't really Google a solution because I don't even know what to call it.)

This the idea:
- team 1 is "1st",
- teams 3 and 10 are "2nd",
- team 5 is 3rd,
etc.:

1646952264124.png

I can't think of a way of doing it that isn't very complex, involving some sort of text array ("1st", "2nd", etc.) where the top one gets knocked off each time it's used.

A simple sort descending won't work since there's duplicates (3 and 10 are tied for 2nd).
Also, I'd like to make it future-proof - meaning I can't count on the number of teams always being 10.

Maybe I can simplify it by only calculating up to 4th, but Still...

Technology news on Phys.org
I must be misunderstanding. Why can't you just sort the array according to column AI ?

• Informative
Likes DaveC426913
hutchphd said:
I must be misunderstanding. Why can't you just sort the array according to column AI ?
1646955141009.png

That ... was not what I was expecting.

I can't think of any excuses that don't sound stupid when they emerge from my face.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, hutchphd and anorlunda
DaveC426913 said:
I want a column that displays what standing each team has.
It looks like there's a statistical function, "rank", that does this.

Likes DaveC426913
PeterDonis said:
It looks like there's a statistical function, "rank", that does this.
That's exactly what I needed. I never occurred to me it might be built in.

But I think I may go with hutch's solution. It's actually the righter thing to do.

DaveC426913 said:
That ... was not what I was expecting.

I can't think of any excuses that don't sound stupid when they emerge from my face.
Don't feel bad. It happens to all of us from time to time.

Likes hutchphd
DaveC426913 said:
I think I may go with hutch's solution. It's actually the righter thing to do.
If all you want is to have the data sorted by rank, yes.

If you actually want the numeric rank explicitly, just sorting the array doesn't tell you that by itself. You still have to detect ties.

Likes hutchphd
PeterDonis said:
If all you want is to have the data sorted by rank, yes.

If you actually want the numeric rank explicitly, just sorting the array doesn't tell you that by itself. You still have to detect ties.
Yeah, I'm OK with implicit rank. It's pretty intuitive to readers. People are used to scanning a list of ranking still they find their own.

I was just stuck with the presupposition of keeping the teams in their original order, blinding me to more elegant visualizations.

What is Open Office Calc (Ersatz Excel) formula?

Open Office Calc (Ersatz Excel) formula is a mathematical expression used in the Open Office Calc program, which is an open-source spreadsheet software that serves as an alternative to Microsoft Excel.

How do I create a formula in Open Office Calc?

To create a formula in Open Office Calc, simply click on the cell where you want the result to appear, type an equal sign (=), and then enter the formula using cell references, mathematical operators, and functions. Press Enter to see the result.

What are cell references in Open Office Calc formula?

Cell references in Open Office Calc formula are used to refer to specific cells in a spreadsheet. They are represented by a combination of letters and numbers, with the letter indicating the column and the number indicating the row. For example, A1 refers to the cell in the first column and first row.

What are mathematical operators in Open Office Calc formula?

Mathematical operators in Open Office Calc formula are symbols used to perform mathematical calculations. The basic operators are addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (*), and division (/). There are also other operators such as exponentiation (^), percentage (%), and concatenation (&).

What are functions in Open Office Calc formula?

Functions in Open Office Calc formula are predefined formulas that perform specific calculations. They often have a specific syntax and require arguments or parameters to be entered. Some common functions in Calc include SUM, AVERAGE, MAX, MIN, and IF.