Opening journal articles in new window.

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with opening PDFs in a web browser, specifically in Opera. The problem occurs when trying to open a second PDF, as it replaces the first one. The solution suggested is to hold down the shift key while clicking, which should open the PDF in a new window or tab depending on browser settings.
nobahar
Hello!

Somewhat trivial question:
When I open a pdf of a journal, it opens in a new window on the web browser (Opera). When I go to open a second article; sometimes when clicking on download pdf, sometimes when pressing "Go" in SFX Ex Libris, it replaces the other pdf. Sometimes I can overcome this by right-clicking on download pdf and clicking open in new window, I can't do this for "Go" on the Ex Libris screen. Anyone else encountered this. Does anyone know how to overcome this?

Thanks!
Nobahar.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Usually if you hold the shift key down when click it will open in a new window. I haven't used Opera in a while, but this seems to be a general rule for all browsers. Depending on particular setting, you should get either a new window or a new tab.

Thanks mathman!

1. Why do I need to open journal articles in a new window?

Opening journal articles in a new window allows you to easily switch between the article and other resources or tabs without losing your place in the article. It also allows you to keep multiple articles open at once for comparison or reference.

2. How do I open a journal article in a new window?

To open a journal article in a new window, simply right-click on the link to the article and select "Open link in new window" or "Open link in new tab" depending on your browser. Alternatively, you can hold down the Ctrl key (Command key for Mac) while clicking on the link to open it in a new window.

3. Can I customize how journal articles open in my browser?

Yes, most browsers allow you to customize how links open by default. You can change this setting in your browser's options or preferences menu. Some browsers also offer extensions or add-ons that allow for more specific customization of how links open.

4. Is it possible to open multiple journal articles in new windows at once?

Yes, you can open multiple journal articles in new windows at once by holding down the Ctrl key (Command key for Mac) while clicking on each article link. You can also use the "Open link in new window" or "Open link in new tab" option for each article to open them all at once.

5. Do I need to close the original window after opening a journal article in a new window?

No, you do not need to close the original window after opening a journal article in a new window. The original window will remain open and you can switch back to it at any time. However, you may choose to close it to declutter your browser or if you no longer need it.