Operator that interchanges variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving an operator L and its eigenvalue equation. It is determined that the eigenfunctions can be either symmetric or antisymmetric, with eigenvalues of 1 and -1 respectively. It is also mentioned that the operator L is an involution and that a trivial solution of f(x,y)=0 should be discarded.
ELESSAR TELKONT

Homework Statement

I suppose that this is not directly a quantum mechanical problem, but this have been assigned as homework for the Quantum Mechanics course.

Let be an operator L and eigenvalue equation [tex]Lf=\lambda f[/tex]. This operator, applied to a function [tex]f(x,y)[/tex], interchanges the variables i.e. [tex]Lf(x,y)=f(y,x)[/tex]. What's the general property of the eigenfunctions of this problem? Get the possible eigenvalues.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well. I think that if [tex]Lf(x,y)=f(y,x)[/tex] then if [tex]f[/tex] is an eigenfunction, obviously, [tex]\lambda f(x,y)=f(y,x)[/tex]. One possible kind of [tex]f[/tex] that fills conditions is one that is symmetric, that is [tex]f(x,y)=f(y,x)[/tex] then [tex]\lambda[/tex] for this kind of eigenfunctions will be [tex]\lambda=1[/tex]. Others are the antisymmetric ones, those for is true [tex]f(y,x)=-f(x,y)[/tex] and then the eigenvalue for this kind is [tex]\lambda=-1[/tex]

But I'm sure that there are more conditions that generate other kinds of eigenfunctions, not only symmetric nor antisymmetric. My question is: there are more or the antisymmetric and symmetric ones are the only ones, and if there are more how I get them and their eigenvalues?

Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]f(y,x)=\lambda f(x,y)[/itex] is to be true for all [itex](x,y)[/itex], then surely it must be true for [itex]x=y[/itex]...what does that tell you?:wink:

it tells me [tex]\lambda=1[/tex]?

Here's another hint: what happens if you act on f with L twice? What does that tell you about [itex]\lambda^2[/itex]?

ELESSAR TELKONT said:
it tells me [tex]\lambda=1[/tex]?
Or that f(x,x)=0.

Or that operator [tex]L[/tex] is an involution, that's, it's its own inverse.

and then [tex]\lambda=\pm 1[/tex] necessarily and takes all values only if [tex]f\equiv 0[/tex]. In fact zero function is symmetric and antisymmetric function at the same time.

f(x,y)=0 is a trivial solution, and not really an eigenfunction...so it should be discarded.

That leaves you with [itex]\lambda=1[/itex] and symmetric eigenfunctions, or [itex]\lambda=-1[/itex] and antisymmetric eigenfunctions.

Related to Operator that interchanges variables

1. What is an "operator that interchanges variables"?

An operator that interchanges variables is a mathematical function that switches the values of two variables. This means that the value of one variable becomes the value of the other, and vice versa.

2. How does an operator that interchanges variables work?

The operator that interchanges variables works by using a temporary variable to store the value of one variable, then assigning the value of the other variable to the first variable, and finally assigning the value of the temporary variable to the second variable.

3. What are some common symbols used for the operator that interchanges variables?

The most common symbols used for the operator that interchanges variables are "=" and "<->". However, different programming languages may use different symbols or keywords to represent this operator.

4. What are some practical applications of using an operator that interchanges variables?

An operator that interchanges variables can be used in various applications such as sorting algorithms, swapping values in a database, and exchanging values between two different variables. It can also be used in mathematical equations and logic statements to simplify expressions.

5. Are there any limitations to using an operator that interchanges variables?

There are some limitations to using an operator that interchanges variables. It can only be used with two variables at a time, and it cannot interchange variables with different data types (e.g. integer and string). Additionally, it may not be suitable for large amounts of data as it requires an extra step to create a temporary variable.