Spacetime and Geometry: Vanishing commutators

In summary: On the other hand, ##Y(f)## can be any nonzero vector, because ##f(x) = 1 + x## for every ##x## in the domain of ##f##.
George Keeling
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I am studying Spacetime and Geometry : An Introduction to General Relativity by Sean M Carroll and have a question about commutators of vector fields. A vector field on a manifold can be thought of as differential operator which transforms smooth functions to smooth functions on the manifold. For a vector field X and a function f(xi) we write

X(f) = g, where g is another function. We then define the commutator of two fields X and Y as

[X,Y](f) = X(Y(f)) - Y(X(f)

In the exercise I am working on, we are asked to find two vector fields whose commutator does not vanish. An important step is to show that if the commutator vanishes for one function f, it vanishes for all functions. This is implied by the question but not proven.

Homework Equations

Is my solution below correct?
Is there a more obvious solution? (I.e. Am I missing something?)

The Attempt at a Solution

I proved it this way using 'Reductio ad absurdum'.

Our starting point is f ≠ 0 and [X,Y](f) = 0. We have another function g ≠ 0 and [X,Y](g) ≠ 0.

We already know that commutators are linear (from the previous exercise), so

[X,Y](f + g) = [X,Y](f) + [X,Y](g)
or
[X,Y](f + g) = [X,Y](g)

Therefore f = 0, which breaks our starting assumption, with which there must be some error. The only non trivial possibility is that [X,Y](g) = 0. QED?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not true that " if the commutator vanishes for one function f, it vanishes for all functions". A commutator produces another vector field, and a vector field can yield zero when applied to one function, and something nonzero when applied to another. For example, in one dimension, let ##f## be the function that is equal to 1 at every point. Then ##X(f) = 0## for any vector field ##X##.

Likes George Keeling

1. What is spacetime?

Spacetime is the four-dimensional framework in which all physical events occur. It combines the three dimensions of space (length, width, and height) with the dimension of time.

2. What is the concept of geometry in relation to spacetime?

Geometry refers to the mathematical study of shapes, sizes, and relative positions of objects in spacetime. It provides a way to describe the curvature and structure of spacetime.

3. What do "vanishing commutators" mean in the context of spacetime and geometry?

"Vanishing commutators" refer to mathematical equations that describe how certain quantities, such as position and momentum, change over time. When these commutators vanish, it means that these quantities are not changing in relation to each other.

4. How does the concept of vanishing commutators relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

In Einstein's theory of general relativity, the spacetime continuum is described as being curved and dynamic. The concept of vanishing commutators plays a crucial role in the mathematical equations that describe the curvature of spacetime and the motion of objects within it.

5. Why is the study of vanishing commutators important in the field of physics?

The study of vanishing commutators helps us better understand the fundamental properties of spacetime and how objects move within it. It also plays a key role in developing theories and models that explain the behavior of the universe on both a large and small scale.