Opinions about of experimental physics and its branches

In summary, the speaker advises to consider photonics as a potential field for specialization due to industry interest in optical systems, but also notes that it may still have unresolved issues. They also suggest considering engineering or business degrees for higher pay.
Immersion
Good morning, I request the guide of Physicists with experience in the experimental physics. I'm in my fifth year of bachelor in physics, because in my country (Colombia), most Bachelor degrees have a duration of five years. My plans are to perform a master's degree next year, and then continue to the doctorate and if possible pursue with P.h.Ds. The point is that yet i don't decide which field to I specialize in physics, because I love my job as a researcher and I love many branches of physics. The options that I have thought, are the areas of nanoscience, photonics, plasma physics, quantum optics, particle physics and computational physics, by high to low affinity. I want choose the specialization that can be exercised in the industry and the private sector, and also in the academy and that in turn is very well paid. Considering these factors, I would like to read your opinions about the branches of applied physics with those characteristics. I'm open to listen other areas of specialization that you believe meet what I describe. Thank you all for your valuable help, I'll be very grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Immersion said:
Good morning, I request the guide of Physicists with experience in the experimental physics. I'm in my fifth year of bachelor in physics, because in my country (Colombia), most Bachelor degrees have a duration of five years. My plans are to perform a master's degree next year, and then continue to the doctorate and if possible pursue with P.h.Ds. The point is that yet i don't decide which field to I specialize in physics, because I love my job as a researcher and I love many branches of physics. The options that I have thought, are the areas of nanoscience, photonics, plasma physics, quantum optics, particle physics and computational physics, by high to low affinity. I want choose the specialization that can be exercised in the industry and the private sector, and also in the academy and that in turn is very well paid. Considering these factors, I would like to read your opinions about the branches of applied physics with those characteristics. I'm open to listen other areas of specialization that you believe meet what I describe. Thank you all for your valuable help, I'll be very grateful.

You should scratch particle physics off your list. I don't think there is very much industry work going on in that field. Photonics might be a good bet; there is talk in industry of shifting from RF satellite communications to an optical system. There are still several issues that need to be worked out satisfactorily beforehand though.

I’ll just add this, it’s doubtful that as a physicist you’ll ever be “well paid.” Mastering in engineering would probably allow you to make more in a shorter period of time, or you could get a MBA and make more than both—probably combined.

Likes 1 person

What is experimental physics?

Experimental physics is a branch of physics that focuses on conducting experiments and making observations in order to gather data and test theories.

What are the main branches of experimental physics?

The main branches of experimental physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and particle physics.

Why is experimental physics important?

Experimental physics is important because it allows us to test and validate theories and models in a controlled and systematic manner. It also helps us understand and manipulate the physical world around us.

What skills are necessary for a successful career in experimental physics?

Some important skills for a successful career in experimental physics include a strong understanding of mathematics and theoretical physics, attention to detail, critical thinking, and strong problem-solving abilities. It is also important to have good communication and teamwork skills.

How does experimental physics contribute to advancements in technology and society?

Experimental physics has contributed greatly to advancements in technology and society. For example, the study of electromagnetism has led to the development of technologies such as electricity, computers, and telecommunications. The study of quantum mechanics has also played a key role in the development of technologies such as lasers and transistors. Additionally, experimental physics has helped us understand and solve real-world problems, such as climate change and energy production.