Optics finding index of refraction

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the refractive index of a transparent plate of glass using a microscope. The procedure involves focusing on a scratch on the surface and recording the barrel position, then lowering the barrel and refocusing on the scratch to obtain a second image. The plate thickness is 1.5mm and the equation nglass/nair = y/y' may be relevant in finding the refractive index, although the person is unsure of how to use the data given. They are seeking advice and clarification on the problem.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

4gk1A.jpg

In order to determine the refractive index of a transparent plate of glass, a microscope is first focussed on a tiny scratch on the upper surface and the barrel position is recorded. Upon further lowering the microscope barrel by 1.87mm , a focussed image of the scratch is seen again. The plate thickness is 1.5mm. What is the reason for the second image and what is the refractive index of the glass?

Homework Equations

nglass/nair = y/y'

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the reason for the second image, my problem is I'm not sure what to do with the data given, because all that I've tried my answers are too high or to low. I'm also not sure if that equation is relevant, or what to use. I've read my text a few times, and i see nothing that even relates to this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
does anyone have an idea?

Related to Optics finding index of refraction

1. What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material bends light as it passes through it. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

2. How is the index of refraction determined?

The index of refraction can be determined by measuring the angle at which light bends as it enters and exits the material, using a device called a refractometer. It can also be calculated using the material's density and polarizability.

3. What factors affect the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is affected by the density and composition of the material, as well as the wavelength of the light passing through it. It also varies with temperature and pressure.

4. Why is the index of refraction important?

The index of refraction is important because it determines how light propagates through different materials, and is crucial in the design and understanding of optical systems like lenses and prisms. It also plays a role in many natural phenomena, such as mirages and rainbows.

5. How does the index of refraction relate to the speed of light?

The index of refraction is inversely proportional to the speed of light in a material. This means that as the index of refraction increases, the speed of light decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Snell's law, which governs how light bends at the interface between two materials with different indices of refraction.