Optics-Lenses- 1cm thick glass slide is perpendicularly set

In summary, the question asks what happens to the image formed when a 1cm thick glass slide is perpendicularly set in an optical system using monochromatic light. The answer is that the new image is farther from the lens. The position of the glass slab does not affect the result and the medium used is likely to be rarer than the glass.
Giuliaa
Optics-Lenses-- 1cm thick glass slide is perpendicularly set

I don't know how to do the question below. It doesn't say whether the whole system in in the air or in a more refractive "environment" (i.e. submerged in oil). It too doesn't say the exact position where the lens is set, and I think that the exact place influences the formation of the new image!
Am I wrong??
By the way, the answer is C.

A 1cm thick glass slide is perpendicularly set in an optic system, as shown in the picture
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80147355@N05/7177962339/sizes/m/in/photostream/
A monochromatic light is used to form the image.

What happens to the image when glass is set?
a) Nothing happens, the image doesn't move.
b) The new image is closer to the lens.
c) The new image is farther from the lens.
d) No image is formed.
e) Two real images are formed, and they're less than 1cm distant from each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Giuliaa,
I assume the ray diagram given is in the problem text .Just for the sake of it I can fairly conclude that the medium used is rarer compared to the glass of the lens by the fact that it acts as converging.Anyway I stick to the assumption that the slab is more optically dense than the medium.I do not think that the problem is anyhow affected by the position of glass slab w.r.t. the lens (provided the slab isn't shifted to the object side or placed beyond the point where lens makes image of the object).By the diagram the question translates simply into asking whether the glass slab would shift converging rays towards or away from itself .Well the answer tells it all :)
Correct me if I am wrong.
regards
Yukoel

1. How does the thickness of a glass slide affect its optical properties?

The thickness of a glass slide can affect its optical properties in several ways. A thicker slide will cause more refraction, leading to a larger change in the direction of light passing through it. This can result in a distortion of the image viewed through the slide. Additionally, thicker slides may absorb more light, resulting in a darker image. However, a thicker slide can also provide more stability and support for delicate samples, making it useful in certain applications.

2. How does the angle at which a glass slide is set affect its optical properties?

The angle at which a glass slide is set can have a significant impact on its optical properties. When a slide is set perpendicularly, it allows for maximum transparency, as light passes through the slide without being refracted or distorted. However, if the slide is set at an angle, it can cause refraction and lead to distortion of the image. Additionally, the angle of the slide can affect the amount of light that is transmitted through it, potentially resulting in a darker or brighter image.

3. What is the purpose of using a 1cm thick glass slide in optics?

A 1cm thick glass slide is commonly used in optics for its stability and support. The thickness allows for a sturdy base for samples, making it useful for experiments that require precise positioning. Additionally, the thickness of the slide can also affect the amount of light that passes through it, making it suitable for certain types of microscopy and imaging techniques.

4. How does the material of the glass slide affect its optical properties?

The material of a glass slide can have a significant impact on its optical properties. Different types of glass have varying levels of transparency, refraction, and absorption, which can affect the clarity and brightness of the image viewed through the slide. Additionally, the material can also affect the durability and stability of the slide, making it important to choose the right type of glass for specific applications.

5. What other factors should be considered when using a 1cm thick glass slide in optics?

In addition to thickness, angle, and material, there are other factors that should be considered when using a 1cm thick glass slide in optics. These include the quality and cleanliness of the slide, as well as the type of sample being viewed. The surface finish of the slide can also affect its optical properties, as a rough surface can cause light scattering and reduce image clarity. It is also important to consider the type of light source being used, as well as any coatings or treatments on the slide that may affect its optical properties.