Some multiple choice questions.

In summary, the conversation discusses various questions related to waves and optics. The first question determines the displacement of the medium in a regular sound wave, with the correct answer being parallel to the wave's velocity. The second question discusses the changes in wavelength and frequency of light when passing from one medium to another with a lower index of refraction, with the correct answer being that wavelength increases. The third question addresses the requirements for forming a real image using a single lens, and the correct answer is that the lens must be able to refract light towards the optical axis. The fourth question discusses the interference effects of two sound sources with the same frequency but different initial phase constants, and the correct answer is that they will create both destructive and constructive interference depending
goonking

Homework Statement

Hey, I just need a quick check on these questions.

1) In a regular sound wave, the displacement of the medium is:

A. perpendicular to the wave velocity
B. sometimes perpendicular and sometimes parallel to the wave velocity
C. parallel to the wave velocity.
D. neither parallel nor perpendicular to the wave velocity but at some angle relative to the wave velocity2)When light passes from one medium to another with a lower index of refraction,

A. its wavelength increases in the new medium.
B. its wavelength decreases in the new medium.
C. its frequency increases in the new medium.
D. its frequency decreases in the new medium. E. its frequency increases and its wavelength decreases.

3)In order to form a real image of an object, a single lens must :

A. be able to refract light away from the optical axis.
B. have a focal length longer than the object distance.
C. be able to refract light towards the optical axis.
D. have no obstructions between it and the object.

4)If two sources of sound have the same frequency but have different initial phase constants,

A. they will always create destructive interference effects no matter where they are positioned.
B. they will always create constructive interference effects no matter where they are positioned.
C. they will create both destructive and constructive that are dependent on the positions of the sources.
D. they won't interfere with other, because interference is only observed in transverse waves.
E. they won't interfere with other, because interference is never observed in transverse waves.

5)

upload_2015-9-30_17-31-43.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I answered A, sound wave is a transverse wave so medium is displaced perpendicular to velocity of wave.
2) I answered A, since frequency doesn't change when a wave enters a new medium, so if lower index of refraction, the V increases and so does wavelength.
3) I answered C because you need light to pass through the lens to have an image in the first place
4) I answered C
5) I answered A

Physics news on Phys.org
Sound waves are longitudinal, not transverse.

In 5, what sort of displacement (ie in what direction) did you have in mind? Can that displacement occur at the ends of the tubes, as the graph would indicate if it were a graph of displacement?

andrewkirk said:
Sound waves are longitudinal, not transverse.

In 5, what sort of displacement (ie in what direction) did you have in mind? Can that displacement occur at the ends of the tubes, as the graph would indicate if it were a graph of displacement?
ok, i corrected number 1, should be same direction as the wave's velocity.

for 5, i imagine the wave in a closed tube to be longitudinal so displacement is parallel to the velocity. the displacement cannot happen at the end of closes tubes so the answer should be B then.

are the rest correct?

1. What is the purpose of multiple choice questions?

The purpose of multiple choice questions is to assess a person's knowledge and understanding of a particular topic or subject by providing a list of possible answers and asking the person to choose the correct one.

2. How are multiple choice questions different from other types of questions?

Multiple choice questions differ from other types of questions in that they provide a list of possible answers and only one of them is correct, whereas other types of questions may require the person to provide their own answer or choose from several correct options.

3. Are multiple choice questions an effective way to assess knowledge?

Yes, multiple choice questions can be an effective way to assess knowledge as they allow for efficient grading and can cover a wide range of topics in a short amount of time. However, they may not be the best way to assess critical thinking or problem-solving skills.

4. How should I approach answering multiple choice questions?

When answering multiple choice questions, it is important to carefully read each question and all of the possible answers before selecting the best option. It can also be helpful to eliminate any obviously incorrect answers before making a final decision.

5. Can multiple choice questions be biased?

Yes, multiple choice questions can be biased if they contain language or content that may be more familiar or relevant to certain groups of people. It is important for test creators to strive for objectivity and avoid any potential biases in the questions and answers.