Optics: Thin Lenses - Determining Focal Length

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the focal length of a magnifying glass based on an object appearing twice its size at a distance of 3.0cm from the lens. The equations used are -di/do=m and 1/f=1/di+1/do, and the calculations result in a focal length of 6 instead of the correct answer of 3. The possible error is in interpreting the distance of 3.0cm as the distance from the lens to the object rather than the image.
genevievelily

Homework Statement

In the photo (which I cannot post now, but it is a magnifying glass, and a dollar bill) the images through the lens appears twice the size and it is at a distance of 3.0cm from the lens of the magnifying glass. Determine focal length.

Homework Equations

1. -di/do=m
2. 1/f=1/di+1/do

The Attempt at a Solution

Since twice the size m will be 2. Using equation 1:

di=-m*do
= -2*3.00cm
= -6.00cm

This makes sense since image is upright and virtual, and in lenses virtual images are negative.

When I calculate focal length,

1/f=1/-6+1/3
f=6

But this answer is wrong the answer is 3. What am I doing wrong or what do I not understand?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
genevievelily said:

Homework Statement

In the photo...the images through the lens appears twice the size and it is at a distance of 3.0cm from the lens of the magnifying glass. Determine focal length.

Perhaps the word "it" here refers to the image rather than the object.

The answer is clearly wrong. If the object was placed on the suggested focal point, 3 cm, the image would be real and located at infinity.

You will get the right answer if you interpret the distance of 3.0 cm as the magnitude of the distance from the lens to the image.

Hello, thank you for your question. I understand that you are trying to determine the focal length of a magnifying glass based on the image size and distance. Your attempt at using the thin lens equation was a good start, but there are a few things that need to be corrected in order to get the correct answer.

First, when using the thin lens equation, it is important to use consistent units. In this case, your image distance and object distance are both given in centimeters, so your focal length should also be in centimeters. Therefore, the correct equation to use is 1/f = 1/di + 1/do, where di and do are both in centimeters.

Next, the magnification factor (m) should be positive since the image is upright. This means that the equation should be di = m*do, where m = 2 in this case.

Using these corrections, the equation becomes 1/f = 1/6 + 1/3, which gives a focal length of 3 cm, as you correctly stated.

I hope this helps clarify the issue and shows the importance of using consistent units and considering the sign of the magnification factor in the thin lens equation. Keep up the good work in your studies!

What is a thin lens?

A thin lens is an optical device that is designed to bend light and focus it onto a point. It is typically made of a transparent material, such as glass, and has curved surfaces.

How does a thin lens work?

A thin lens works by using the principle of refraction, which is the bending of light when it passes through a different medium. The curved surfaces of the lens cause the light rays to bend and converge at a specific point, known as the focal point.

What is the focal length of a thin lens?

The focal length of a thin lens is the distance between the lens and the focal point. It is typically measured in millimeters and is an important parameter in understanding the behavior of the lens.

How can I determine the focal length of a thin lens?

The focal length of a thin lens can be determined by using the lens formula, which states that the product of the object distance and the image distance is equal to the focal length. This can be done by conducting an experiment and measuring the distances or by using mathematical calculations.

What are some real-world applications of thin lenses?

Thin lenses have a wide range of applications in everyday life, including eyeglasses, cameras, microscopes, telescopes, and projectors. They are also used in various industries, such as medicine, telecommunications, and manufacturing.