Optimization Math Help: Finding Minimum Enclosed Area with Wire Cut

• Thread starter fghtffyrdmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optimization
In summary, the circumference of a circle is 8 - x cm, while the circumference of a square is 16 - x cm.
fghtffyrdmns

Homework Statement

A piece of wire 8 cm long is cut into two pieces. One piece is bent to form a circle, and the other is bent to form a square. How should the wire be cut if the total enclosed area is to be small as possible? Keep [tex]\pi[/tex] in your answer.

Homework Equations

[tex]A= \pi r^{2}[/tex]
[tex]A= lw[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

this is the part I am confused about. I cannot seem to set up the question. I do now that I have to find the function, take the derivative and equal it to zero (use 2nd derivative test to check that it's a min), and solve.

Physics news on Phys.org

Let [tex]l[/tex] be the length of the piece that is used to form a square.

Prove that :

[tex]A(l)=\frac{l^2} {16} +\frac{\left(8-l\right)^2}{4\pi}[/tex]

Then you can derivate that expression.

Donaldos said:
Let [tex]l[/tex] be the length of the piece that is used to form a square.

Prove that :

[tex]A(l)=\frac{l^2} {16} +\frac{\left(8-l\right)^2}{4\pi}[/tex]

Then you can derivate that expression.

Whoah, where did that come from?

I was going to say, can't you just treat the square and circle separately?

fghtffyrdmns said:
Whoah, where did that come from?

I was going to say, can't you just treat the square and circle separately?
No, since you have to find the location to cut the wire so that you get the maximum area for both figures.

What if you make x be the length of the wire?

Then you get [tex]A= (8-x)^{2}[/tex] for the area of the square

That won't work, since you're assuming that all four sides are 8 - x cm long.

If your wire extends from 0 to 8 cm, and you cut it at x, that gives you two pieces of wire. One of them is x cm long and the other is 8 - x cm long. One piece will be used to form a square - all four sides. The other piece will be used to form a circle.

So which piece will you use to make the square, and which piece will you use to make the circle? Keep in mind that each piece will form the perimeter of whatever object you make out of it.

I still cannot understand this question : (

Let x be the lentgh

thus should you not get 8-x?

then you can plug it into the area of a cirlce equation to get pi(8-x)^{2}?

fghtffyrdmns said:
then you can plug it into the area of a cirlce equation to get pi(8-x)^{2}?
No, not at all.

Try to be more specific. x defines the point at which the 8 cm wire is cut.

You will end up with one piece that is x cm long, and another that is 8 - x cm long. You're going to bend these pieces to form a square and a circle. Is it reasonable that the circle's radius is 8 - x cm? That's the formula that you seem eager to use.

Mark44 said:
No, not at all.

Try to be more specific. x defines the point at which the 8 cm wire is cut.

You will end up with one piece that is x cm long, and another that is 8 - x cm long. You're going to bend these pieces to form a square and a circle. Is it reasonable that the circle's radius is 8 - x cm? That's the formula that you seem eager to use.

So 8 - x is the square while x is the square?

fghtffyrdmns said:
So 8 - x is the square while x is the square?
Huh?

Mark44 said:
Huh?

I mean x-8 is the square while x is the circle.

I can't think :(

I got [tex] A(x) = x^{2}+\pi(8-x)^{2}[/tex]

fghtffyrdmns said:
I got [tex] A(x) = x^{2}+\pi(8-x)^{2}[/tex]
Not even close.

You have the two pieces of wire: x cm for the square and 8 - x cm for the circle. Describe to me in words exactly how you will form the two figures from these pieces of wire.

It might help if you actually take a piece of string or something and try to make a circle out of it. What does the length of the string represent here?

Office_Shredder said:
It might help if you actually take a piece of string or something and try to make a circle out of it. What does the length of the string represent here?

Circumference.

Right - not the radius. Good.

And for the square, what does the length of that string represent?

So if you bend the x cm piece to make a square and the 8 - x piece to make a circle (BTW, it might be easier to use the x piece for the circle and the 8 - x piece for the square, what are the dimensions of each figure?

Mark44 said:
Right - not the radius. Good.

And for the square, what does the length of that string represent?

So if you bend the x cm piece to make a square and the 8 - x piece to make a circle (BTW, it might be easier to use the x piece for the circle and the 8 - x piece for the square, what are the dimensions of each figure?

the length is is each side. If I make (8-x) for the square, I would just get [tex]8x-x^{2}[/tex]

I don't seem to remember how to get area with circumference.

fghtffyrdmns said:
the length is is each side. If I make (8-x) for the square, I would just get [tex]8x-x^{2}[/tex]
How did you get that? What are the dimensions of the square?
fghtffyrdmns said:
I don't seem to remember how to get area with circumference.
I'm not asking for area. I'm asking for the dimensions of the circle, namely its radius.

I think it would be useful for you to take a wire coathanger and cut a piece out of it 8 inches long. Then cut your 8" long piece into two pieces, say 3" and 5". Take one of them and form it into a square and form the other into a circle. If you use the 3" piece to make a square, what are the lengths of the each side of the square? If you use the 5" piece for a circle, what is the radius of the circle.

Once you know the dimensions of each object, then you can calculate the area of each, and hence, the total area.

You can't tell the dimensions though. It doesn't say it was cut in half.

You take a piece of wire that is of length 8-x inches. You bend it into a square. What is the length of one side of the square? This question is definitely answerable. Do two steps:
1) What is the perimeter of this square?
2) Based on 1), what is the length of a side of this square?

Once you have done that you can calculate the area

Office_Shredder said:
You take a piece of wire that is of length 8-x inches. You bend it into a square. What is the length of one side of the square? This question is definitely answerable. Do two steps:
1) What is the perimeter of this square?
2) Based on 1), what is the length of a side of this square?

Once you have done that you can calculate the area

The length of the square is 8-x? Then you get 32 - 4x for perimeter

I am not following this.

If I have a piece of wire that is 8-x inches long, and I bend it into a square, you DO NOT get that each side is 8-x inches long. The perimeter will be 8-x inches long

Office_Shredder said:
If I have a piece of wire that is 8-x inches long, and I bend it into a square, you DO NOT get that each side is 8-x inches long. The perimeter will be 8-x inches long

Oh, I thought you said that's the length. I was wondering what's up. I know that the area of the square is going to be [tex]\frac{(8-x)^{2}}{16}[/tex]. It's the circle that I cannot seem to get.

Edit: ahhh, I got it now. [tex]\frac{x^{2}}{4\pi}[/tex]

I solved for the diameter using the circumference formula then divided by 2 get the radius.

Last edited:

Wait, if the perimeter is 8-x, wouldn't each side be 8-x/4?

[tex]
\frac{x^{2}}{4\pi}
[/tex]

is the area of the circle.

OK, good. to summarize, the length of each side of the square is (8 - x)/4, and the radius of the circle is x/(2*pi). The combined area of the two figures is A(x) = (8 - x)2/16 + x2/(4 * pi).

Now if I can remember back to the original problem, you wanted to maximize the total area. Can you do that?

fghtffyrdmns said:
Wait, if the perimeter is 8-x, wouldn't each side be 8-x/4?

[tex]
\frac{x^{2}}{4\pi}
[/tex]

is the area of the circle.
Each side would be (8 - x)/4 -- you need parentheses when you write it on one line, and yes, that's the area.

Each side would be 1/4th the perimeter so (8-x)/4 inches. So the area would be (8-x)2/16.

So what is your formula for the total area based on x?

Mark44 said:
OK, good. to summarize, the length of each side of the square is (8 - x)/4, and the radius of the circle is x/(2*pi). The combined area of the two figures is A(x) = (8 - x)2/16 + x2/(4 * pi).

Now if I can remember back to the original problem, you wanted to maximize the total area. Can you do that?

Yes, sir :).

However, I have a math-legality question about that. Since I'm diving by 16 and 4pi, can I factor it out then just take the derivative of (8-x)^2 and x^2? Or must I use the quotient rule on both?

You could use the quotient rule if you don't mind working harder than you need to. For example, you could use the quotient rule to differentiate f(x) = x/4, but that would be silly. Instead, you could notice that x/4 = (1/4)x, so d/dx(x/4) = d/dx(1/4*x) = 1/4 * d/dx(x), using the constant-multiple rule.

In your case d/dx[(8 - x)2/16 + x2/(4pi)] = (1/16) d/dx(8 - x)2) + 1/(4pi)*d/dx(x2). (I also used the sum rule for derivatives.)

Mark44 said:
You could use the quotient rule if you don't mind working harder than you need to. For example, you could use the quotient rule to differentiate f(x) = x/4, but that would be silly. Instead, you could notice that x/4 = (1/4)x, so d/dx(x/4) = d/dx(1/4*x) = 1/4 * d/dx(x), using the constant-multiple rule.

In your case d/dx[(8 - x)2/16 + x2/(4pi)] = (1/16) d/dx(8 - x)2) + 1/(4pi)*d/dx(x2). (I also used the sum rule for derivatives.)

Yes, that is what I mean :)

I got x = --
Edit: wrong answer.

Last edited:

We have A(x) = (1/16)(8 - x)2 + (1/(4pi)x2.
A'(x) = ?

Your answer should be an equation.

Mark44 said:
We have A(x) = (1/16)(8 - x)2 + (1/(4pi)x2.
A'(x) = ?

Your answer should be an equation.

A'(x) = [tex]\frac{-16+2x}{16} + \frac{x}{2\pi}[/tex]

However, I have to set the first derivative to 0 so I can find at which x value it should be cut so the area is small as possible (critical point - max/min value).

Your A'(x) is correct, but it would be better to simplify it. You can rewrite it as A'(x) = (x - 8)/8 + x/(2pi).

There is also a domain to consider, since A(x) is not defined for all real numbers. For example, even though you can calculate a value for A(-8), you can't cut the wire at -8 cm.

Your critical point will come at a point where A'(x) = 0 or at an endpoint of the domain. What is the implied domain for A(x) = (1/16)(8 - x)2 + (1/(4pi)x2?

0<x<8 (cannot be equal to since it makes no sense to cut 8 cm or 0 cm.) X is the element of any real number is the domain.

So I can't solve now?

Edit: 0 and 8 do not work .

Last edited:
<h2>1. How is optimization math used in finding minimum enclosed area with wire cut?</h2><p>Optimization math is used to find the minimum possible value for a given function. In the case of finding minimum enclosed area with wire cut, optimization is used to determine the dimensions of a rectangle that will enclose the largest possible area with a fixed amount of wire.</p><h2>2. What is the objective function in this problem?</h2><p>The objective function in this problem is the area of the rectangle, which is calculated by multiplying the length and width of the rectangle. The goal is to maximize this function to find the largest possible area.</p><h2>3. How do you set up the constraints for this problem?</h2><p>The constraints for this problem are the length of wire available and the fact that the rectangle must have four sides. These constraints can be represented as equations and inequalities, such as 2l + 2w = wire length and l > 0, w > 0, where l is the length and w is the width of the rectangle.</p><h2>4. What is the process for solving this optimization problem?</h2><p>The process for solving this optimization problem involves setting up the objective function and constraints, and then using techniques such as differentiation and substitution to find the critical points. These critical points are then evaluated to determine the maximum value of the objective function, which corresponds to the dimensions of the rectangle that encloses the largest area with the given amount of wire.</p><h2>5. Can this problem be solved using calculus?</h2><p>Yes, this problem can be solved using calculus. The optimization techniques used, such as differentiation and substitution, are based on calculus principles. However, there are also other methods, such as geometric reasoning, that can be used to solve this problem without calculus.</p>

Related to Optimization Math Help: Finding Minimum Enclosed Area with Wire Cut

1. How is optimization math used in finding minimum enclosed area with wire cut?

Optimization math is used to find the minimum possible value for a given function. In the case of finding minimum enclosed area with wire cut, optimization is used to determine the dimensions of a rectangle that will enclose the largest possible area with a fixed amount of wire.

2. What is the objective function in this problem?

The objective function in this problem is the area of the rectangle, which is calculated by multiplying the length and width of the rectangle. The goal is to maximize this function to find the largest possible area.

3. How do you set up the constraints for this problem?

The constraints for this problem are the length of wire available and the fact that the rectangle must have four sides. These constraints can be represented as equations and inequalities, such as 2l + 2w = wire length and l > 0, w > 0, where l is the length and w is the width of the rectangle.

4. What is the process for solving this optimization problem?

The process for solving this optimization problem involves setting up the objective function and constraints, and then using techniques such as differentiation and substitution to find the critical points. These critical points are then evaluated to determine the maximum value of the objective function, which corresponds to the dimensions of the rectangle that encloses the largest area with the given amount of wire.

5. Can this problem be solved using calculus?

Yes, this problem can be solved using calculus. The optimization techniques used, such as differentiation and substitution, are based on calculus principles. However, there are also other methods, such as geometric reasoning, that can be used to solve this problem without calculus.