Optimizing Boat Frequency: Eastward vs. Westward Waves

In summary, the frequency at which the waves hit the front of a boat moving westward at 1.4m/s is 0.208 Hz. This can be calculated by considering the distance traveled by the boat and the waves, and using the formula for frequency (frequency = 1/time). The previous attempt at solving this question may have been incorrect due to not taking into account the time it takes for the waves and the boat to collide, resulting in an incorrect calculation of frequency.
FelicitaH
There are two parts to this question. I got the first part and thought the second would be relatively easy to answer, but I keep getting it wrong:

Ocean waves are traveling to the east at 3.2 m/s with a distance of 22m between crests.

a) With what frequency do the waves hit the front of the boat when the boat is at anchor? ** 3.2/22=.1455 Hz, which I got right.

b) With what frequency do the waves hit the front of a boat when the boat is moving westward at 1.4m/s?

Now, b/c they are moving towards each other, I substrated 1.4 from 3.2 and I got 1.8. I then got 1.8/22=0.0818, which is incorrect.

What am I doing wrong with regard to the second part?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are walking towards a wave, will the wave hit you more frequently or less frequently? Will it seem like the wave is moving faster or slower?

Similarly, will a boat moving towards the wave be hit with a higher or lower frequency than it would were it at rest?

Ask yourself these questions, and you will see if you did something incorrectly.

Ok. It would be hit at a greater frequency, so I should add instead of substracting?

That confuses me... because I thought that if two waves were moving toward each other it was destructive (or something like that) and so you would subtract from one another. At least, that's how I understood what my prof was saying.

FelicitaH said:
That confuses me... because I thought that if two waves were moving toward each other it was destructive (or something like that) and so you would subtract from one another. At least, that's how I understood what my prof was saying.
But is the boat a wave?

When two waves collide, they can cancel each other out if their characteristics meet certain requirements. You understood your professor correctly.

(Disclaimer: It turns out that the boat (and all matter) has a wave component given by one of de Broglie's equations. But you don't need to worry about that, as it is a negligible component.)

I just assumed I could consider the boat a wave. Not sure why.

So -- 1.4 + 3.2 = 4.6/22 = .2091

Is that correct then? I only have one more chance to answer this question correctly, which I why I'd just like to make sure, if that's possible.

*EDIT* Actually, that's wrong. That was an answer that I tried earlier...

Last edited:
The logic is sound, and the math appears correct. The question is - do you think it is the right answer?

Yeah, it's not right. I tried that answer earlier. Apparently it's too small.

my approach is nothing different than what has been done before, but assume the boat is at a point B 22 m eastwards of point A where the first wave is approaching.

When the wave collides the boat they both have traveled a distance total of 22 m, thus:

[tex]3.2\cdot t + 1.4 \cdot t = 4.6\cdot t = 22 \Rightarrow t = 4.8 s[/tex]

Then the next wave is again at a distance 22 m and collides after 4.8 seconds.

--> thus the frequency = 1/4.8 = 0.208 Hz

Related to Optimizing Boat Frequency: Eastward vs. Westward Waves

What is boat frequency and why is it important?

Boat frequency refers to the number of waves that a boat encounters per unit of time. It is an important factor to consider when optimizing a boat's speed and efficiency, as higher frequencies can result in more resistance and slower speeds.

What is the difference between eastward and westward waves?

Eastward waves refer to waves that travel in the same direction as the boat, while westward waves travel in the opposite direction. This can affect a boat's frequency and can impact its performance.

Which direction of waves is more favorable for boat frequency?

In general, eastward waves are more favorable for boat frequency. This is because the boat is moving in the same direction as the waves, resulting in a lower frequency and less resistance.

How can boat frequency be optimized for eastward vs. westward waves?

To optimize boat frequency for eastward waves, it is important to adjust the boat's speed to match the speed of the waves. This can help reduce resistance and improve overall performance. For westward waves, it may be beneficial to adjust the boat's course to minimize the impact of the waves.

What are some potential consequences of not optimizing boat frequency?

If boat frequency is not optimized, it can result in slower speeds, increased resistance, and potential damage to the boat. It can also impact the comfort and safety of passengers on the boat.