Optimizing Distance: Finding the Minimum Value and Coordinates on a Line

In summary: So in summary, the given point P with x-coordinate a is on the line y=3x-7. The distance between P and Q, with coordinates (4,1), is determined by the expression PQ2 = 10a2-56a+80. The value of a that minimizes this expression is 2.8, which also corresponds to the coordinates of the foot of the perpendicular from Q to the line, N (24/5, 1 2/5). The equation of the line QN can be found by plugging in the coordinates of Q and N into the point-slope form.
lionely
A point P whose x-coordinates is a is taken on the line y=3x-7. If Q is the point(4,1)
show that PQ2 = 10a2-56a+80. Find the value of a which will
make the expression a minimum. Hence show that the coordinates of N, the foot of the perpendicular from Q to the line are (24/5 , 1 2/5). Find the equation of QN.

I'm having trouble with the first part

isn't P {a, (3a-7)} and Q2 ( 16,1)?

Physics news on Phys.org
lionely said:
A point P whose x-coordinates is a is taken on the line y=3x-7. If Q is the point(4,1)
show that PQ2 = 10a2-56a+80. Find the value of a which will
make the expression a minimum. Hence show that the coordinates of N, the foot of the perpendicular from Q to the line are (24/5 , 1 2/5). Find the equation of QN.

I'm having trouble with the first part

isn't P {a, (3a-7)} and Q2 ( 16,1)?

No. ##PQ^2## is the square of the distance from P to Q; it should have been written as ##(PQ)^2## or maybe as ##\vec{PQ}^2##.

Oh okay thanks for the 2nd part that value that makes the expression a minimum is it 2.8? and is Q on the curve? cause to do the last part I think I need the equation of the tangent at Q.

lionely said:
Oh okay thanks for the 2nd part that value that makes the expression a minimum is it 2.8? and is Q on the curve? cause to do the last part I think I need the equation of the tangent at Q.

You need to show your work.

PQ2 = 10a2 - 56a +80

dy/dx = 20a -56

a= 2.8

Q is not on the line, but N is. In fact, it's the orthogonal projection of Q into the line. The value of a you obtained is associated to the minimal distance between the line and the point Q, which is itself associated with the concept of an orthogonal projection. If you plug in 2.8 into (a, 3a - 7), you get precisely the point N, with the coordinates they mention. Having Q and N, finding the equation of the line QN should be straightforward.

Oh thank you!

1. What is the definition of a maximum and minimum?

A maximum is the highest value that a function reaches in a given interval, while a minimum is the lowest value that a function reaches in a given interval.

2. How do you find the maximum and minimum of a function?

To find the maximum and minimum of a function, you can take the derivative of the function and set it equal to 0. Then, solve for the variable to find the critical points. Finally, plug the critical points into the original function to determine which point is the maximum and which is the minimum.

3. Can a function have multiple maximum or minimum points?

Yes, a function can have multiple maximum or minimum points. These points are called local maximum or minimum points, and they occur when the derivative of the function is 0 at that point.

4. How do you determine if a maximum or minimum is a global or local point?

To determine if a maximum or minimum is a global or local point, you can use the second derivative test. If the second derivative is positive at a critical point, it is a local minimum. If the second derivative is negative at a critical point, it is a local maximum. To determine if it is a global maximum or minimum, you need to check the values of the function at the endpoints of the given interval.

5. Can a function have a maximum or minimum at the endpoints of an interval?

Yes, a function can have a maximum or minimum at the endpoints of an interval. This occurs when the function is not continuous on the interval or when the interval is open.