Optimizing Phase Current Measurements with Shunt Resistors

In summary: Channels 2 or 3 current can be read with software.This can be done with an oscilloscope or multimeter.Channel 1 current can be computed from Isum - I1 - I2.The current sum can also be read by software.
PhysicsTest
TL;DR Summary
To understand the logic of phase current measurement in 3 phase AC motors using shunt resistors from a reference application note.
I have seen an application note of how to measure the phase currents using shunt resistors as shown below
1611371469220.png

I am only confused with the connection when measuring the phase Ia current, it differs from the way the shunt resistor is connected for Ic and Ib, he could have done the same way like Ib and Ic. Is there any advantage doing like this? By using Ia he was also able to detect the fault in the phase currents? My question is what are the conditions under which the phase currents can be wrong like one condition i can think of is
a. Ia+Ib+Ic ##\neq ## 0.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The asymmetric wiring does seem very deliberate.
PhysicsTest said:
I have seen an application note of how to measure the phase currents using shunt resistors as shown below
Can you please give a reference to the application note.
Do you have a link ?

Baluncore said:
The asymmetric wiring does seem very deliberate.

Can you please give a reference to the application note.
Do you have a link ?
Yes, Thank you, please find the attachment of the application note, i am referring to the page no 34. The link for the same is
https://www.microchip.com/developmenttools/ProductDetails/dm330021-2

Attachments

• DS-52080a.pdf
    751.8 KB · Views: 157
Any advise?

The current sum is part of a hardware over-current detector.
The current sum can also be read by software.
Channels 2 or 3 current can be read with software.
Channel 1 current can be computed from Isum - I1 - I2.

Likes PhysicsTest
Baluncore said:
The current sum can also be read by software.
Channels 2 or 3 current can be read with software.
Channel 1 current can be computed from Isum - I1 - I2.
Thank you. I am confused about the channel notations, but i assume that Channel 1 -> I3, Channel 2 -> I1,
Channel3 -> I2. The hardware notation followed for measurement of current is different, since they want to incorporate all the three phase currents to detect the over current fault is my understanding.
Baluncore said:
The current sum is part of a hardware over-current detector.
This is based on the system, in this it corresponds to the voltage of ##3.3*30/31.5= 3.14V ##. Hence the ##I_{sum} - I_1 - I_2 =I_3## one of the phase currents exceeds this value then it detects the over-current?

Sorry for the earlier typo;
Notice that the outputs from the differential current sense amplifiers are referenced to Vref, which is half of the AVDD voltage = 3.3V / 2 = 1.65 volt.

1. How do shunt resistors help optimize phase current measurements?

Shunt resistors are used in conjunction with current sensors to measure the current flowing through a circuit. By placing the shunt resistor in series with the circuit, it creates a voltage drop that can be measured and used to calculate the current. This allows for more accurate and precise measurements of phase current.

2. What factors should be considered when selecting a shunt resistor for phase current measurements?

When selecting a shunt resistor, the most important factors to consider are the resistance value, power rating, and temperature coefficient. The resistance value should be chosen based on the expected current flow, while the power rating should be able to handle the maximum current without overheating. The temperature coefficient ensures that the resistance remains stable over a range of temperatures.

3. How can shunt resistors be calibrated for accurate phase current measurements?

Shunt resistors can be calibrated by comparing the measured voltage drop across the resistor with a known current value. This can be done using a precision current source and a multimeter to measure the voltage drop. Adjustments can then be made to the resistance value to ensure accurate measurements.

4. Are there any potential errors or limitations when using shunt resistors for phase current measurements?

One potential error when using shunt resistors is the voltage drop across the resistor may introduce a small error in the measurement. This can be minimized by using a low resistance value and a high precision measurement device. Additionally, shunt resistors are not suitable for high-frequency or high-voltage applications.

5. Can shunt resistors be used for both AC and DC current measurements?

Yes, shunt resistors can be used for both AC and DC current measurements. However, for AC measurements, it is important to consider the frequency and impedance of the circuit to ensure the shunt resistor can accurately measure the current. For DC measurements, the resistance value should be chosen based on the expected current flow and the power rating should be able to handle the maximum current without overheating.