Optimizing Pressure Distribution in a 3-Pronged Clamping Mechanism

• Thread starter remettub
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pressure
In summary, a mechanism that uses the toolmakers clamp principle will work better than one that relies on friction and a wire spring.
remettub
Hi all,

I'm designing a small 3-pronged clamping mechanism, and I'm having trouble figuring out the best way to keep the pressure even between the upper contact surfaces (pads). Here's a picture of my attempt from this afternoon:

20150913_201927.jpg

It's difficult to tell from the image, but the lower pad is directly under the halfway point between the top pads. I naively assumed that this would give me equal pressure under the top pads, even though the tightening screw is on the left, but of course in actuality the left pad applies considerably more pressure than the right (other design requirements make it impossible to put the tightening screw straight up through the center).

Since it took a good part of the day to design and make this guy, I'd like to have a clear understanding of how to predict the pressure distribution before I make the next version. I'm thinking it's either that there is a small amount of wiggle in the joint, or that the "C" path to the right pad is more flexible than the "\" path to the left.

If kept everything the same but shifted the lower pad to the right, would that balance the pressure more towards the top right? Is there a way to calculate how much to shift it? Or is it all about the relative flexibility on each side (I could give the left side an "S" shape to make it equally flexible). Or do I just need to tilt the bottom pad to compensate for the wiggle in the joint. Obviously my understanding is very limited at this point. Any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-remettub

Attachments

• 20150913_201833.jpg
    20150913_201833.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 359
Engineering news on Phys.org
Any eccentric clamp will have problems.

I suspect the problem is maintaining alignment of the sliding joint. Maybe you could consider a tube on the single pad side, that fits over a round pillar on the two pad frame. The round pillar would have an internal threaded hole for the tightening screw.

Alternatively, extend the frame all the way down to, or beyond, the single pad. That will put the tightening screw on the axis of symmetry behind the two pads.

Thanks Baluncore, it seems like you are saying there's no reliable way to model the pressure of an eccentric clamp. Is that correct?

I was hoping I could take measurements of the current pressure distribution, arm myself with knowledge, and then make an adjustment to the design to even it out, keeping the eccentric design.

Needs to be a mechanism .

(1) Separate the upper beam and put a pivot point half way between pads . Use screw tightening and bottom single pad arrangement but make an inverted L shape at top with a pivot hole on outboard end of leg . Use a pivot screw to connect the end of L pivot hole to the beam pivot hole .This causes primary line of action of tightening force to go from bottom pad to mid way between top pads and system is balanced .

Use friction or a wire spring to stabilise the two pad beam so that it stays in approximately the right place when not engaged to whatever is being held .

Or

(2) Use the toolmakers clamp principle with an additional screw or a fixed link if whatever is being held is always roughly same size .

1. What is meant by "clamping pressure" in scientific terms?

Clamping pressure refers to the force applied to hold two objects or surfaces together, typically using a clamp or similar device. It is a measure of the compressive force exerted on the objects to prevent movement or separation.

2. How is clamping pressure measured?

Clamping pressure is typically measured in units of force, such as pounds or newtons. It can also be measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch or pascals. The measurement will depend on the specific equipment or method being used.

3. Why is clamping pressure important in scientific experiments?

Clamping pressure is important because it ensures that the objects or surfaces being studied remain in a fixed position, allowing for accurate and precise measurements and observations. It also helps to prevent any unintended movement or changes during the experiment.

4. What factors can affect the clamping pressure in an experiment?

Several factors can affect the clamping pressure, including the type and size of the clamp or device being used, the material and surface properties of the objects being clamped, and the amount of force applied by the operator.

5. How can the appropriate clamping pressure be determined for a specific experiment?

The appropriate clamping pressure will depend on the specific experiment and the objects or materials being studied. It is important to consider the strength and fragility of the objects, as well as the desired level of stability. The clamping pressure should be enough to hold the objects securely, but not so much that it causes damage or distortion.