Optimizing Refrigerator Efficiency: Solving for Necessary Power Draw

In summary, for a refrigerator that leaks heat at an average rate of 300W and operates ideally, it would need to draw 57.69W from the wall. This is calculated using the typical temperature range of 298K to 250K and the maximum coefficient of performance of 5.2. Working algebraically can lead to improved accuracy in calculations.
patrickmoloney

Homework Statement

Suppose that heat leaks into your kitchen refrigerator at an average rate of 300W. Assuming ideal operation, how much power must it draw from the wall.

Homework Equations

[tex]\eta = \dfrac{T_C}{T_H - T_C}[/tex]

[tex]W= \dfrac{Q}{COP}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

A typical refrigerator works between [itex]298 \, K[/itex] [itex]250 \, K[/itex]. The maximum possible coefficient of performance is

[tex]COP = \dfrac{250}{298-250}=5.2[/tex]

[tex]W = \dfrac{Q}{COP}= \dfrac{300 \, W}{5.2} = 57.69 \, W[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
patrickmoloney said:

Homework Statement

Suppose that heat leaks into your kitchen refrigerator at an average rate of 300W. Assuming ideal operation, how much power must it draw from the wall.

Homework Equations

[tex]\eta = \dfrac{T_C}{T_H - T_C}[/tex]

[tex]W= \dfrac{Q}{COP}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

A typical refrigerator works between [itex]298 \, K[/itex] [itex]250 \, K[/itex]. The maximum possible coefficient of performance is

[tex]COP = \dfrac{250}{298-250}=5.2[/tex]

[tex]W = \dfrac{Q}{COP}= \dfrac{300 \, W}{5.2} = 57.69 \, W[/tex]
Looks right.
The are many benefits in working algebraically, only plugging in numbers right at the end. One is improved accuracy. In the present case you would have got 57.6W exactly.

Yeah I think I'll do it algebraically so until the final line. Thanks very much.

1. How do I know if my refrigerator is not working properly?

If your refrigerator is not maintaining a consistent temperature or making strange noises, it may indicate a problem. You can also check for any visible damage or leaks in the refrigerator.

2. What should I do if my refrigerator is not cooling?

The first thing to check is the temperature setting. Make sure it is set to the recommended temperature (usually between 35-38 degrees Fahrenheit). If the setting is correct, check the condenser coils for dust and debris and clean them if necessary. If the problem persists, it may be a malfunctioning compressor or a refrigerant leak, and you should call a professional technician.

3. Why is my refrigerator making loud noises?

Loud noises coming from the refrigerator can be caused by a variety of issues, such as a faulty evaporator fan, a malfunctioning compressor, or a damaged condenser fan. It is best to have a technician diagnose the problem and make any necessary repairs.

4. How often should I defrost my refrigerator?

Most refrigerators have an automatic defrost feature, so you do not need to manually defrost them. However, if your refrigerator does not have this feature, it is recommended to defrost it every 6-12 months to prevent ice buildup and maintain its efficiency.

5. How can I prolong the life of my refrigerator?

Regularly cleaning and maintaining your refrigerator can help prolong its life. This includes cleaning the condenser coils, replacing water filters, and checking for any leaks or damage. It is also important to not overload the refrigerator and to avoid placing hot food directly into it. Proper maintenance and care can help your refrigerator last for many years.