Orbital angular momentum Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for computing the wave function at t=0 and applying the time-evolution operator U(t) in a system with quantum numbers l=1 and ml=0. The options include using the explicit form of the initial wave function, working with the state in its abstract form, or expressing the initial state as a vector in the z-basis and using the AM operators as 3x3 matrices.
anakin
Homework Statement
Consider a a system described by the following Hamiltonian:

H=(L^2)/2I -gBLy

where I is a momentum of Inertia, B is the y-component of a uniform magnetic field while finally g is a constant.
At t=0, a measurement of L^2 and Lz gives, respectively 2h^2 and 0 as results.
Under these hypotheses determine:
1) The state of the system at a generic time t;
2) The mean values of the energy and of Lx;
3) The minimal time at which the state of the system is an eigenstate of Lx.
(Hint: Remember that Lx and Ly are a combination of Ladder Operators L+ and L-).
Relevant Equations
Lx = 1/2(L+ + L-)
Ly=-i/2(L+ - L-)
I think that the quantum numbers are l=1 and ml=0, so I write the spherical harmonic Y=Squareroot(3/4pi)*cos(theta).
I would like to know how to compute the wave function at t=0, then I know it evolves with the time-evolution operator U(t), to answer the first request.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good. Now you don't even need the explicit form of the initial wave function. Just write down the time-evolution operator for the ##\ell=1## subspace!

Do you mean last row?
IMG_20221031_141856.jpg

... Replacing H with the Hamiltonian describing the system and Y with the spherical harmonic !?

anakin said:
... Replacing H with the Hamiltonian describing the system and Y with the spherical harmonic !?
The initial state is ##\ket{1, 0}##. That can be represented as the spherical harmonic, ##Y_0^1##. Then you have to work out how to apply the time evolution operator to that function. Is that going to be easy?

Alternatively, you may continue to work with the state in its abstract form. Then you need to apply the time-evolution operator to that state. Is that possible?

Or, you could express the initial state as a vector in the z-basis. It would be ##(0, 1, 0)## in the usual convention. If you have seen the AM operators as 3x3 matrices in the case of ##l = 1##, then you may be able to express the time-evolution operator as a 3x3 matrix.

Lots of options!

Likes vanhees71
This latter method was what I had in mind in my previous posting.

Q: What is an orbital angular momentum Hamiltonian?

The orbital angular momentum Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy and motion of particles in an atomic or molecular system. It is derived from the classical concept of angular momentum, which refers to the rotation of an object around an axis.

Q: How is the orbital angular momentum Hamiltonian different from the spin angular momentum Hamiltonian?

The orbital angular momentum Hamiltonian describes the motion of particles in a system due to their orbital motion, while the spin angular momentum Hamiltonian describes the intrinsic angular momentum of particles. In other words, the orbital angular momentum Hamiltonian is related to the motion of particles around a central point, while the spin angular momentum Hamiltonian is related to the internal rotation of particles.

Q: What is the significance of the orbital angular momentum Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics?

The orbital angular momentum Hamiltonian is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics, as it helps to describe the energy levels and behavior of particles in an atomic or molecular system. It is also used in the calculation of spectroscopic data, such as the energy levels of atoms and molecules, which is crucial in understanding their chemical and physical properties.

Q: How is the orbital angular momentum Hamiltonian related to the Schrödinger equation?

The orbital angular momentum Hamiltonian is one of the terms in the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. It represents the total energy of a particle in a system and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain state at a given time.

Q: Can the orbital angular momentum Hamiltonian be applied to systems other than atoms and molecules?

Yes, the orbital angular momentum Hamiltonian can be applied to any system where particles have orbital motion, such as electrons in a magnetic field or planets orbiting a star. It is a general concept in physics and can also be used in other fields, such as solid-state physics and nuclear physics.