Orbital energy required to change a comets orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the heliocentric radial distance of Comet Halley at a specific time and date using data from Section A.3 and Table A.19. It also presents a problem involving the orbital energy of Shoemaker-Levy 9 and the hypothetical scenario of changing its orbit to that of Comet Halley. The solution involves finding the velocities and orbital energies of both comets at a specific time and comparing them using the vis viva equation. The question also mentions the use of Tisserands relation and the Jacobi integral/constant.
Deadstar

Homework Statement

Use the information in Section A.3 and the data in Table A.19 to calculate the heliocentric radial distance (in AU) of Comet Halley at 12h UT on July 16, 1994.

- Done, Section A.3 just talked about finding dates using Epochs and such.
Table 19 had comet details which will appear below

(b) Assuming that the heliocentric semi-major axis of Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 was the same as that of Jupiter (a approximately 5.20 AU), and that the masses of both comets are negligible compared to the mass of the Sun, estimate how much orbital energy per unit mass (in Joules per kg) would be required to change the orbit of Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 to that of Comet Halley.

Homework Equations

Halleys comet.
time of perihelion passage - 1986 Feb 9.5
Perihelion distance q (AU) - 0.5871
e - 0.9673
Inclination - 162.24 degrees
argument of perihelion - 111.87 degrees
longitude of ascending node - 58.86 degrees (we have never discussed this or the argument of perihelion before and i don't they are involved in the answer)
Epoch - 46480

The Attempt at a Solution

I reeeeally want to figure this out on my own (it's not an assignment, just a tutorial question by the way) but it's sapping so much of my time right now that if I don't sort it soon other courses will suffer.

So in that respect I would like the slightest of hints as to which direction to proceed in this.

This is part of an exercise sheet that was given out after lectures on the 3-body problem so it makes sense that will be involved.

My questions are...

Are the three bodies the two comets and the sun? Or is it Shoemaker-Levy 9, Jupiter and the sun?

Do I start by using Tisserands relation to find out the eccentricity and Inclination of Shoemaker-Levy 9?

[tex]\frac{1}{2a} + \sqrt{a(1-e^2)} \cos(I) = \frac{1}{2a'} + \sqrt{a'(1-{e'}^2)} \cos(I')[/tex]

Where a,e and I are parameters of a comet which then become...

a', e' and I' after a close approach to a planet.

When I have done this should I be trying to find velocities of each comet then will I compare them using the vis viva integral which is...

[tex]\frac{1}{2} v^2 - \frac{\mu}{r} = C[/tex]

where [tex]C = -\frac{\mu}{2a}[/tex]This equation came about during the 2-body problem which is why I'm skeptical as to whether it can be used here. It also states in my book that this formula shows that the orbital energy per unit mass is conserved but in the restricted 3-body problem I believe that doesn't happen.

So, anybody care to shove me in the right direction? Is the Jacobi integral/constant involved in this as well?EDIT: Some more thoughts:

I was having a little trouble with working out exactly what this question is asking but I think I have a better idea now.

I think the idea is that I have to calculate the energy required to 'save' Shoemaker-Levy 9 since on that day it crashed into Jupiter.

Given that I know 'r' in the vis viva integral for Halley (from part a), I need to find velocities and use the vis viva integral to compare energies (how exactly, I'm not sure... Is C the energy?)EDIT 2:

Will the velocity of Shoemaker-Levy 9 just be the escape velocity of Jupiter?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If so, I can use that in the vis viva equation and then compare it with Halley's velocity and energy.EDIT 3:Ok, so I think I've worked out what I have to do.I need to find the velocity of Shoemaker-Levy 9 at the time of its 'crash' into Jupiter. I'm assuming this will be the escape velocity of Jupiter at that time.Then I need to calculate the corresponding velocity and orbital energy of Halley at the same time.Once I have both velocities and energies I can compare them using the vis viva equation and work out the energy required to save Shoemaker-Levy 9 from its doom. So the only question now is how do I find the escape velocity of Jupiter at that time?

1. How is the orbital energy of a comet determined?

The orbital energy of a comet is determined by its mass, velocity, and distance from the object it is orbiting. This can be calculated using the formula E = -GmM/2r, where G is the gravitational constant, m is the mass of the comet, M is the mass of the object it is orbiting, and r is the distance between them.

2. Can the orbital energy of a comet be changed?

Yes, the orbital energy of a comet can be changed through various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects, the use of spacecrafts, or even collisions with other objects. These changes can result in the comet's orbit becoming more elliptical or changing to a different orbit entirely.

3. What determines the amount of energy required to change a comet's orbit?

The amount of energy required to change a comet's orbit depends on the desired change in its orbit, the mass of the comet, and the mass of the object it is orbiting. Generally, the closer the object is to the comet, the more energy is required to change its orbit.

4. Can a comet's orbit be changed without using external energy?

Yes, a comet's orbit can be changed without using external energy through natural processes such as the release of gas and dust from the comet's surface, which can act as a propellant and cause slight changes in its orbit. However, significant changes in the orbit would require the use of external energy.

5. How does the energy required to change a comet's orbit affect its trajectory?

The energy required to change a comet's orbit will affect its trajectory by altering its speed and direction of movement. A change in orbital energy can result in the comet moving faster or slower, as well as changing the shape and orientation of its orbit. This can also lead to the comet encountering other objects or being ejected from the solar system entirely.