Orbital shaker - DC servo or stepper motor

In summary: I will get back to you on what I decide.In summary, a gearmotor is a better option than a servo or stepper motor for this application. It is also cheaper than either option.
Lluis
Hi,

I wish to build an orbital shaker (a bigger version of these examples:
https://learn.adafruit.com/crickit-lab-shaker

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2983846

As my aim is that it will work continuously for months around 100rpm what is preferred in aspects of heat and weight on top of it, DC servo or stepper motor? High torque? Any other parameters to consider?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome back to PF. How did your Scotch Yoke Mechanism work out from back in July? :wink:

Lluis said:
TL;DR Summary: How to change Scotch yoke mechanism parameters in order to calculate slider movement

I design out of curiosity this Scotch yoke mechanism (left image) based on a scheme (right image).

It came out nice. Thanks

Servo and stepper motors are overkill for applications that run at a single speed. Look for a gearmotor (search the term). A gearmotor is a motor combined with a gear reducer. A quick search found this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0721T1PXQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Gearmotor.jpg

I have no idea if this one meets your needs, nor do I have any knowledge of its quality. It's just the first one that popped up on a search for gearmotor with 100 RPM output. Given the low price, you might consider just buying it (or a similar one), and find if it works.

Likes DaveE
Lluis said:
As my aim is that it will work continuously for months around 100rpm what is preferred in aspects of heat and weight on top of it, DC servo or stepper motor? High torque? Any other parameters to consider?
Avoid brush motors if you want continuous operation. Find a BLDC servo motor that will do the work needed without generating too much heat.

Avoid stepper motors, unless you need precision positioning. Steppers are not the most efficient way of converting energy.

I would consider a common AC induction motor, driving an eccentric mass. If I needed speed variation, I would use a variable speed drive.

Likes DaveE
Lluis said:
It came out nice. Thanks
Glad to hear it. It's common courtesy to reply to threads that you start where you get good help. That did not happen in your previous thread; hopefully you are able to reply in this thread with your thoughts on the responses you've received. :wink:

If fixed RPM is OK then ... well, I would start with an old vinyl player :doh:

Rive said:
If fixed RPM is OK then ... well, I would start with an old vinyl player :doh:
With a belt drive to change up to 100RPM? :smile:

Thanks a lot for the infornation

1. What is the difference between a DC servo and a stepper motor in an orbital shaker?

DC servo motors use a continuous rotation motion, while stepper motors use a step-by-step motion. This means that DC servo motors are better for applications that require a smooth and continuous motion, while stepper motors are better for applications that require precise and controlled movements.

2. Which type of motor is more suitable for high-speed shaking on an orbital shaker?

DC servo motors are better suited for high-speed shaking on an orbital shaker due to their ability to rotate at high speeds without losing synchronization. Stepper motors may experience a loss of synchronization at high speeds, resulting in inaccurate shaking.

3. How do I determine which type of motor is used in my orbital shaker?

You can determine the type of motor used in your orbital shaker by checking the product specifications or by contacting the manufacturer. Additionally, you can visually inspect the motor in your shaker and look for any labels or markings that indicate the type of motor.

4. Can I switch between a DC servo and stepper motor in my orbital shaker?

It is not recommended to switch between a DC servo and stepper motor in your orbital shaker, as each type of motor is designed for specific applications. Switching between the two may result in inefficient shaking or damage to the motor and shaker.

5. Which type of motor is more energy-efficient in an orbital shaker?

DC servo motors are generally more energy-efficient in an orbital shaker compared to stepper motors. This is because DC servo motors only use the amount of energy needed to maintain a constant speed, while stepper motors use energy for every step they take.