Servo or stepper motor for robotic leg?

In summary, a stepper motor is easier to calibrate and might be more powerful, while a servo is more energy efficient and potentially faster.
NotASmurf
Hey all, simple question, when building a robotic leg (a small one, bout 30 cm with two partitions, thigh and calf) would one use a stepper motor or a servo? We want the leg to keep its position (as though it were a dc motor attached to a worm gear) and be able to lift 2kg. Any advice appreciated. Also is a separate servo driver required for servos?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
A stepper can trip and miss steps.
Use a DC servo and a position sensor.

Likes NotASmurf
Last edited:
1.3 kg/cm is a torque value.
It means is can lift 1.3 kg of the end of horizontal 1 cm stick.
or for a 15cm (weightless) stick:
(1.3kg/cm) / 15 cm = 0.087 kg

It could lift 2kg on a 1.3/2 cm stick but that's probably not practical.
Draw a free body diagram of the leg in motion.
You need to consider acceleration (ie how fast you want to move the leg) to get an accurate value for required torque.

Stepper motors will only miss steps if the system is calibrated poorly, 3d printers use steppers and can perform 10 + hour prints without missing a single step.

(1.3kg/cm) / 15 cm = 0.087 kg
(kg/cm)/cm = kg
kg/cm^-2 = kg

So surely it should be kg/cm*cm =kg? ie 1.3 kg/cm *15cm = 19.5??

Oops. The problem is you used the wrong units for Torque, I ignored that and used it as a torque value without correcting the units.
It should be kg*cm not kg/cm so 1.3 kg*cm

T = Fr
Torque (Nm) = Force (N) X Radius (m)

or in your non SI units:
kg*cm = kg X cm
(using weight instead of force)

A lesson in always checking what the units represent physically for you - Your units are consistent but don't make sense.
A lesson in not copying and pasting values without checking units for me!

mass/distance represents linear density eg a rope or wire has a mass/length (maybe 0.02 kg/m for an average rope? I don't own a rope to check)
Mass/distance makes no sense as a motor output parameter.

Brushed core-less and brush-less motors give the most bang per lb when you consider power and efficiency. Maxon motor and micro motor produce awesome core-less motors and can offer them with planetary gears.

Mike_In_Plano said:
can offer them with planetary gears.

Is there a name for them when they have internal planetary gears to up the power? I need to know what to search for, I'm in south africa so there arn't many places I can go to :P. there is a local site that sells though hobbytronics.co.za

Stepper motor gives you precise position relative to steps with little overshoot or damping. I've used them in wafer probers and large xray emitter positioning. A servo requires feedback and response tuning and might oscillate a bit about the final position. A stepper can slip if given too large a load, or a mechanical shock. If so, it won't recover, whereas a position based servo will recover.

A stepper operated open loop (no position sensing) need to be calibrated somehow.

I've never tried to compare torque, etc, but I'd expect a servo to be more energy efficient and potentially faster. I'd expect steppers to be easier to implement.

1. Which type of motor, servo or stepper, is better for a robotic leg?

This is a commonly asked question with no definitive answer. It ultimately depends on the specific needs and design of the robotic leg. Servo motors are great for precise and controlled movements, while stepper motors are better for continuous rotation and higher torque. Consider the requirements of your robotic leg and choose the type of motor that best fits those needs.

2. What is the difference between a servo motor and a stepper motor?

A servo motor is a type of DC motor that uses a closed-loop control system to accurately position the motor shaft. It is typically used for precise movements and can rotate to a specific angle. On the other hand, a stepper motor is a brushless DC motor that moves in small, precise steps. It is better suited for continuous rotation and can provide high torque at low speeds.

3. Can I use a servo motor and a stepper motor together in a robotic leg?

Yes, it is possible to use both types of motors in a robotic leg. In fact, many robotic leg designs incorporate both servo and stepper motors to take advantage of their respective strengths. However, this may add complexity to the control system and require careful programming to ensure smooth coordination between the two motors.

4. Which type of motor is more expensive, servo or stepper?

In general, servo motors tend to be more expensive than stepper motors. This is because servo motors often require additional components, such as an encoder and a closed-loop control system, to accurately position the motor shaft. Stepper motors, on the other hand, can be controlled using a simpler and less expensive open-loop system.

5. Are there any other types of motors that can be used for a robotic leg?

Yes, there are other types of motors that can be used for a robotic leg, such as brushed DC motors, brushless DC motors, and linear actuators. Each type has its own strengths and weaknesses, so it's important to consider the specific requirements of the robotic leg before choosing a motor type.