Order of subgroup G - representing triangular prism

In summary, Rajan03 was struggling to solve a problem and found that by looking in a textbook again, he was able to find the answer.
rohan03
Please see attached diagram

here is what I have done in order to answer this question
Triangular prism above represents the group G of all symmetries of the prism as permutation of the set {123456}
Part a: is to describe geometrically the symmetries of the prism represented in the cycle for by (14)(26)(35) and (13)(46)
My working out is :
(14)(26)(35) is rotation through pi about axis through the midpoints of edges 14 and plane 2365
And for (13)(46) is the reflection in the plane thorugh the edge 25 and the midpoints of the edges 46 and 13

Part b was to write down all the symmetries of the prism describing geometrically
My working :
• {e} the identity
• (456)(123) rotation through 2pi/3
• (465)(132)- rotation through 4pi/3
• (14)(26)(35) – roation through pi
• (25(16)(34) again rotation through pi –
• (36)(15)(24) rotation through pi-
(I have cut down the description such as centre of the edges and plane etc for all of these just to speed up the writing process)

Then I described indirect symmetries as follows:
• e o (14)(36)(25)= (14) (36) (25)
• (456)(123) o (14) (36) (25) = (153426)
• (465)(132)o(14) (36) (25) = (162435)
• (14) (26) (35) o(14) (26)(35) =(32)(56)
• (36) (15)(24)o(14) (36) (25) = (12) (45)
• (25) (16) (34)o (14) (36) (25) =(13) (46)

I also know there geometric description

Part c is to work out conjugacy classes so this is what I worked out :
• C1 = the identity {e}
• C2- the rotation through pi about the axis through the centre of the edge 14 and lane 2365, the centre of the edge 25 and plane 1365 and edge 36 and the plane 1254 giving
• {(14) (26) (35), (25) (16) (34), (36) (15) (24)}
• C3- rotation through 2pi/3 4pi/3 etc giving
• {(456) (123), (465) (132)}
• C4 – the rflection in the plane through the edges 14 and 56and 23 etc…. giving
{ (32) (56), (12) (45), (13) (46)}
• C5 reflection through vertical PLne giving {(14)(36)(25)}
• C6 is basically
• {(153426) (162435)}
Upto this point I have no problem where I can't progress and don’t understand how to go about it is following part:
Determine a subgroup of G of order2, a subgroup of order 4 and subgroup of order 6. And deciding if the subgroup is normal or not.

Now I have a slight idea but what I fail to understand is how to workout number of elemnts in each conjugacy classes and the order of this subgroup – I guess this is a S3 so order of subgroup must divide by 12 by Lagrange’s theorem but this is just a guess and if I am on right line- I still havent’ got a clue how to go about finding this out. So please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is your diagram?

hi this question is resolved- I have posted another question under homework section under calculus - riemann integral- can you please look at it? Thanks

I can have a look, can you post diagram for this one also though as a student of mine is also looking for it and it may be helpful

Hi May I ask what do you do? Seems like you are a teacher- so it should be pretty straightforward for you to sketch one for your student.

I will have a look but chances are slim as I delete every document that I am done with.

I am a maths tutor, no problem if you don't have it, it just will save me time, as I am not good with sketching on comp! Thanks

rohan03 how did you solve the problem you had here? I too am struggling with this.

By looking in the textbook again.

Which method did you end up using though?

1. What is the definition of the "Order of Subgroup G"?

The order of a subgroup G refers to the number of elements in the subgroup. In other words, it is the number of elements that make up the subgroup.

2. How is the order of subgroup G related to the order of the whole group?

The order of subgroup G must be a factor of the order of the whole group. This means that the number of elements in subgroup G must be a divisor of the number of elements in the whole group.

3. How does the order of subgroup G affect the structure of the group?

The order of subgroup G determines the number of cosets in the group. Cosets are sets of elements that are obtained by multiplying a fixed element of the group by all the elements of the subgroup. The number of cosets is equal to the order of the whole group divided by the order of the subgroup.

4. What is the relationship between the order of subgroup G and the identity element?

The order of subgroup G must be a divisor of the order of the identity element. This is because the identity element must be a member of every subgroup, and therefore the order of the subgroup must be a factor of its order.

5. How does the order of subgroup G affect the symmetry of a triangular prism?

The order of subgroup G determines the number of rotational symmetries of a triangular prism. This is because the number of rotational symmetries is equal to the number of elements in the subgroup, and each element corresponds to a unique rotation of the prism.