Orthogonality of Associated Laguerre Polynomial

In summary: I explained it in that post! Just write the equation two times for ## L_m^k ## and ## L_n^k##. Then multiply the first by ## L_n^k## and the second by ## L_m^k ## and subtract one from the other. Then find an integrating factor and multiply the equation by it. You'll find out how to continue but come back if you didn't.
Muh. Fauzi M.
I have a problem when trying to proof orthogonality of associated Laguerre polynomial. I substitute Rodrigue's form of associated Laguerre polynomial :

upload_2015-3-17_17-49-19.png

to mutual orthogonality equation :

upload_2015-3-17_17-49-40.png

and set, first for
upload_2015-3-17_17-50-7.png
and second for
upload_2015-3-17_17-50-20.png

But after some step, I get trouble with this stuff :

upload_2015-3-17_17-50-31.png

I've already search solution for this form but still no light. Any body here could help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way is using the differential equation. Write it for ## L^k_n ## and ## L^k_m ##. Then multiply the first by ## L^k_m## and the second by ## L^k_n ##. Then subtract one from the other. Come back if you encounter a problem!

Last edited:
Shyan said:
The best way is using the differential equation. Write it for ## L^k_n ## and ## L^k_m ##. Then multiply the first by ## L^k_m## and the second by ## L^k_n ##. Then subtract one from the other. Come back if you encounter a problem!
Well I still didn't get it. ## L^k_n ## has a rodrigues form and also associated Laguerre polynomial. Which one I need to use?

Muh. Fauzi M. said:
Well I still didn't get it. ## L^k_n ## has a rodrigues form and also associated Laguerre polynomial. Which one I need to use?
I said the differential equation, which is:
## x \frac{d^2 L_n^{k}}{dx^2} +(k+1-x) \frac{dL_n^{k}}{dx} +n L_n^k =0##

Shyan said:
I said the differential equation, which is:
## x \frac{d^2 L_n^{k}}{dx^2} +(k+1-x) \frac{dL_n^{k}}{dx} +n L_n^k =0##
Nah... I got it. But still, I am stuck when connecting it with the orthogonality...

Muh. Fauzi M. said:
Nah... I got it. But still, I am stuck when connecting it with the orthogonality...
I explained it in that post! Just write the equation two times for ## L_m^k ## and ## L_n^k##. Then multiply the first by ## L_n^k## and the second by ## L_m^k ## and subtract one from the other. Then find an integrating factor and multiply the equation by it. You'll find out how to continue but come back if you didn't.

What is the definition of Orthogonality of Associated Laguerre Polynomial?

The Orthogonality of Associated Laguerre Polynomial is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two polynomials, Lm(x) and Ln(x). This concept states that if the degree of the two polynomials is different, then the integral of their product over a certain interval is equal to 0. This means that the two polynomials are perpendicular to each other in a higher-dimensional space.

How is Orthogonality of Associated Laguerre Polynomial used in mathematics?

Orthogonality of Associated Laguerre Polynomial is used in various mathematical fields, such as quantum mechanics, differential equations, and numerical analysis. In quantum mechanics, it is used to solve the Schrödinger equation for hydrogenic atoms. In differential equations, it is used to find solutions to the associated Laguerre equation. In numerical analysis, it is used to approximate functions and solve integrals.

What is the significance of Orthogonality of Associated Laguerre Polynomial in physics?

In physics, Orthogonality of Associated Laguerre Polynomial is important because it allows for the accurate description of physical systems, such as atoms and molecules. It also plays a crucial role in the study of quantum mechanics, as it helps in determining the energy levels of atoms and the probabilities of transitions between these energy levels.

What are the properties of Orthogonality of Associated Laguerre Polynomial?

The main properties of Orthogonality of Associated Laguerre Polynomial are symmetry, completeness, and orthogonality. Symmetry means that the polynomials are symmetric with respect to the origin, completeness means that they form a complete set of basis functions, and orthogonality means that the integral of the product of two different polynomials is equal to 0.

How is Orthogonality of Associated Laguerre Polynomial related to other mathematical concepts?

Orthogonality of Associated Laguerre Polynomial is closely related to other mathematical concepts, such as orthogonal polynomials, inner product spaces, and the Gram-Schmidt process. It is also related to other orthogonal polynomial families, such as Legendre polynomials and Hermite polynomials. Additionally, it has applications in other mathematical concepts, such as Fourier series and wavelets.