Associated Laguerre Polynomial

In summary, Justin is a physics student working in a lab with Fortran code based on Quantum field theory. He is trying to solve a problem by changing some pieces of the code and is wondering if it's possible to solve the Associated Laguerre Polynomials with fractional order and if those solutions will return real numbers. Someone suggests writing the equation in a form that is either a Hypergeometric or Confluent Hypergeometric equation, while another suggests reverting back to the general solution of the Legendre function. Justin thanks them for the suggestions and plans to look into them.
khauna
Hello,
(quick backgroun info) : I am a physics student who has gone through pre quantum type material and a little of quantum mechanics. I am working in a lab with fortan code based on Quantum field theory.

Anyway I am working to change some pieces of this code to attempt to solve a problem by a different way. What I would like to know is:

Does anyone know if its possible to solve the Associated Laguerre Polynomials with fractional order? Normally you must use integers which we have done in our fortran coding. I need to change that but I want to know if using fractional order is possible with laguerre polynomials and will those solutions return real numbers?

Thanks for any help and let me know if I need to be more clear or provide more information,

~ Justin

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect that you should be able to write the equation in a form that is either a Hypergeometric or Confluent Hypergeometric equation, then you can have fractional orders.

hmm i will look into this.

~ Justin

I'd listen to Dr Transport over me, but I believe the AL polynomials are specific solutions for the more general Legendre function (when l,n are integers). You might be safer to revert back to that general solution. If your z is within a certain range, the Legendre function can be expressed by "Laplace's first integral", which doesn't deal with contour integration. If neither of those yield fruit, this is one I'm pretty positive I've seen solved numerically for arbitrary real numbers.

Yea I see what your getting at. I'll be sure to look into that also.

Thanks,
~ Justin

Related to Associated Laguerre Polynomial

What is the Associated Laguerre Polynomial?

The Associated Laguerre Polynomial, also known as the generalized Laguerre polynomial, is a type of special function used in mathematics and physics. It is a polynomial that satisfies a certain differential equation and has important applications in quantum mechanics, statistics, and other fields.

What is the formula for the Associated Laguerre Polynomial?

The formula for the Associated Laguerre Polynomial is Ln(α)(x) = Σk=0n (-1)k (n+α choose n-k) xk / k!, where n is a non-negative integer and α is a real or complex parameter. This formula is used to calculate the polynomial for a given value of n and α.

What are the properties of the Associated Laguerre Polynomial?

Some important properties of the Associated Laguerre Polynomial include: orthogonality, recursion, generating function, and Rodrigues' formula. These properties make it a useful tool in solving differential equations, finding roots of polynomials, and in probability and statistics.

What are the applications of the Associated Laguerre Polynomial?

The Associated Laguerre Polynomial has many applications in physics, particularly in quantum mechanics where it is used to solve the Schrödinger equation and in the study of the hydrogen atom. It is also used in probability and statistics for modeling continuous probability distributions and in numerical analysis for approximating functions.

What is the difference between the Associated Laguerre Polynomial and the Laguerre Polynomial?

The Associated Laguerre Polynomial is a generalization of the Laguerre Polynomial, which is only defined for integer values of the parameter α. The Associated Laguerre Polynomial extends this definition to include real and complex values of α, making it a more versatile and powerful function. Additionally, the Associated Laguerre Polynomial satisfies a different differential equation than the Laguerre Polynomial, which leads to different properties and applications.