Overall rate of reactions of decomposition of dimethyl ether

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem in chemical kinetics involving the thermal decomposition of dimethyl ether. The individual reactions and their rate constants are given, and the use of steady-state assumption and small initiation and termination coefficients is suggested. The ultimate goal is to find an expression for the rate of change of dimethyl ether concentration over time, with a possible factor of '^n'. The speaker is seeking help with understanding this factor and asks for assistance with their attempted solution.
ralden
Hi Guys, I'm solving this for almost a week, this is a part of our probset in chemical kinetics:
The thermal decomposition of dimethyl ether:
CH3OCH3 ---K1--> CH3' + OCH3'
CH3' + CH3OCH3 ---K2--> CH4 + CH2OCH3'
CH2OCH3' + --k3---> CH3' + HCHO
CH3' + CH2OCH3' ---k4--> C2H5OCH3

using steady-state assumption and usual approximations of small initiation and termination coefficients show that

-d[CH3OCH3]/dt = Ko [CH3OCH3]^n

i tried to solved this but up until now i really don't have an idea how come that the right expression will have '^n' factor?please guys please help me thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
ralden said:
Hi Guys, I'm solving this for almost a week, this is a part of our probset in chemical kinetics:
The thermal decomposition of dimethyl ether:
CH3OCH3 ---K1--> CH3' + OCH3'
CH3' + CH3OCH3 ---K2--> CH4 + CH2OCH3'
CH2OCH3' + --k3---> CH3' + HCHO
CH3' + CH2OCH3' ---k4--> C2H5OCH3

using steady-state assumption and usual approximations of small initiation and termination coefficients show that

-d[CH3OCH3]/dt = Ko [CH3OCH3]^n

i tried to solved this but up until now i really don't have an idea how come that the right expression will have '^n' factor?

please guys please help me thanks

Please show us what you tried.

What were your approximations for the various k's?

What is dimethyl ether?

Dimethyl ether (DME) is a colorless gas with a faint, sweet odor. It is commonly used as a propellant in aerosol products and as a fuel in certain countries.

What is the overall rate of reaction for the decomposition of dimethyl ether?

The overall rate of reaction for the decomposition of dimethyl ether depends on various factors such as temperature, pressure, and presence of catalysts. Generally, the reaction follows a first-order kinetics, meaning that the rate of reaction is directly proportional to the concentration of DME.

What are the products of the decomposition of dimethyl ether?

The products of the decomposition of dimethyl ether are typically carbon monoxide, methane, and hydrogen. The exact ratio of these products depends on the conditions of the reaction.

How does temperature affect the rate of reaction for the decomposition of dimethyl ether?

An increase in temperature usually leads to an increase in the rate of reaction for the decomposition of dimethyl ether. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the molecules to collide and react with each other.

Why is the decomposition of dimethyl ether important?

The decomposition of dimethyl ether is important because it is a potential alternative fuel source that can reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. It also produces fewer emissions compared to traditional fuels, making it a more environmentally friendly option.