(P.20) Angular Acceleration

In summary, the grindstone initially at rest is given a constant angular acceleration and makes 20.0 revolutions in the first 8.00 seconds. To find the angular acceleration, the equation α= Δω/ΔT can be used. However, this equation assumes constant angular velocity, which is not the case in this scenario. To find the correct answer, the equation for angular displacement in an angular accelerated motion should be used. The graph of the angular velocity over time can be used to create this equation, resulting in an angular acceleration of 3.93 rad/s^2.
gcombina
A grindstone,initially at rest,is given a constant angular acceleration so that it makes 20.0 rev?
A grindstone,initially at rest,is given a constant angular acceleration so that it makes 20.0 rev in the first 8.00 s. What is its angular acceleration

Answer is 3.93 rad/s^2

My attempt:

α= Δω/ΔT

I converted 20 rev/8s to radians and I got 15.7 rad/s, then I plugged in the numbers into the equation above ^

α= 15.7 rad/s (wrong answer)

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
gcombina said:
What am I doing wrong?
Your work assumes that the stone moves at constant angular velocity.

Draw a graph of radians versus time, that should help.

gcombina said:
A grindstone,initially at rest,is given a constant angular acceleration so that it makes 20.0 rev in the first 8.00 s. What is its angular acceleration

You answered the question as if it said:
"A grindstone, initially at rest, is given a constant angular acceleration so that it is going 20.0 rev/s after the first 8.00 s"

See the difference?

so i guess I should figure out the angular velocity first right?
such

ω = Θ/t

so later I do the other equation.

is this correct?

so to solve for ω, i have

ω = Θ/t
= 20 (2∏) / (what should I put here in time if time wasn't given)

Use the equation for angular displacement in an angular accelerated motion. You don't have to waste time calculating angular velocities

gcombina said:
so to solve for ω, i have

ω = Θ/t
= 20 (2∏) / (what should I put here in time if time wasn't given)

That would be average (not final) angular velocity.

Imagine the graph of the angular velocity over time. What is special about that graph? How can you use that to create an equation for the angular displacement?

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity with respect to time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's angular velocity is changing. It is typically measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²).

2. What is the formula for angular acceleration?

The formula for angular acceleration is α = (ω₂ - ω₁) / (t₂ - t₁), where α is the angular acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and t is time.

3. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the radius of rotation. The formula for linear acceleration, a = αr, shows that linear acceleration is directly proportional to angular acceleration and the radius of rotation.

4. What causes angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is caused by a net torque acting on an object. When a torque is applied to an object, it causes the object to rotate, resulting in angular acceleration.

5. How is angular acceleration measured?

Angular acceleration can be measured using various instruments such as an accelerometer, gyroscope, or tachometer. These devices measure the angular velocity of an object and can calculate the angular acceleration using the formula α = (ω₂ - ω₁) / (t₂ - t₁).