P,Q,R notation in Vector Fields

In summary, P,Q,R notation is a commonly used notation in vector fields to represent the three components of a vector. It is typically written as a vector with angled brackets, and the components are separated by commas. This notation simplifies the representation and calculation of vector fields, which are used to describe physical quantities in three-dimensional space. P,Q,R notation is related to other notations such as i,j,k and unit vector notation, but it is more general and can be used in any coordinate system. It can also be used in two-dimensional vector fields, with the third component R being omitted.
says

Homework Statement

Vector field is given by:
[PLAIN]http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/LineIntegralsVectorFields_files/eq0001M.gif[PLAIN]http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcIII/LineIntegralsVectorFields_files/empty.gif
I'm just reviewing line integrals of vector fields and I was wondering what P, Q and R represent?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is P,Q,R notation in Vector Fields?

P,Q,R notation is a commonly used notation in vector fields to represent the three components of a vector. P represents the x-component, Q represents the y-component, and R represents the z-component. This notation is used to simplify the representation of vector fields and make calculations easier.

2. How is P,Q,R notation written?

P,Q,R notation is typically written as a vector with angled brackets, such as . The components are separated by commas, with P being the first component, Q being the second, and R being the third.

3. What is the purpose of P,Q,R notation in Vector Fields?

P,Q,R notation is used to describe the direction and magnitude of a vector in a three-dimensional space. It allows for easy visualization and calculation of vector fields, which are used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and electric/magnetic fields.

4. How is P,Q,R notation related to other notations in Vector Fields?

P,Q,R notation is closely related to the i,j,k notation and the unit vector notation. In i,j,k notation, the components are represented by the unit vectors i, j, and k. In unit vector notation, the components are represented by the unit vectors x, y, and z. P,Q,R notation is a more general notation that can be used in any coordinate system, whereas i,j,k and unit vector notation are specific to Cartesian coordinates.

5. Can P,Q,R notation be used in two-dimensional vector fields?

Yes, P,Q,R notation can be used in two-dimensional vector fields as well. In this case, the vector will only have two components, with P representing the x-component and Q representing the y-component. R can be omitted since there is no z-component in a two-dimensional space.