Can anyone explain to me this infinite series problem?

Sn for n=1, n=2, n=3, n=4... What do you observe?When I find the Antiderivative I get - 1/xWhere does the π come from ??In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of a series and using partial fraction decomposition to solve it. The initial attempt at a solution involves using an antiderivative, but it does not lead to the desired solution. The conversation then shifts to discussing the p-series test and its application to finding the value of a series. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to write out the sum of the series and observe a pattern.
paulfr

Homework Statement

eq0015MP.gif
empty.gif

and in this case we have,

[PLAIN]http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/ConvergenceOfSeries_files/eq0016MP.gif[PLAIN]http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/ConvergenceOfSeries_files/empty.gif

Homework Equations

I can not see how they get either of the 3 terms or where the 3/4 term comes from.
Once given the expression, its easy to see it converges to be 3/4.

The Attempt at a Solution

Even if I limit shift to either i=0 or i=1, I can not see this solution. Wolfram Alpha confirms 3/4 is the correct answer. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
paulfr said:

Homework Statement

eq0015MP.gif
empty.gif

and in this case we have,

[PLAIN]http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/ConvergenceOfSeries_files/eq0016MP.gif[PLAIN]http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcII/ConvergenceOfSeries_files/empty.gif

Homework Equations

I can not see how they get either of the 3 terms or where the 3/4 term comes from.
Once given the expression, its easy to see it converges to be 3/4.

The Attempt at a Solution

Even if I limit shift to either i=0 or i=1, I can not see this solution. Wolfram Alpha confirms 3/4 is the correct answer. Thanks for your help.
Is this from a course?

If so, what is the main topic of coverage?

Try partial fraction decomposition of ## \displaystyle \ \frac{1}{i^2-1} \ ##

Last edited by a moderator:
Infinite Series convergence and divergence.

PFD will give A / i +1 + B / i - 1 and that does not look in any way like the given solution.

paulfr said:

PFD will give A / i +1 + B / i - 1 and that does not look in any way like the given solution.

Work out ##A## and ##B## and keep going!

paulfr said:

Surely you don't mean ##\frac A i + 1 + \frac B i - 1##, which is what you wrote.

If you meant ##\frac A {i + 1} + \frac B {i - 1}##, you need to at least write this as A/(i + 1) + B/(i - 1); i.e., using paretheses.

paulfr said:

You shouldn't expect it to because you're comparing apples to oranges. The decomposition is of just 1/(i2-1), but the expression you're trying to derive is for sn. Note that one expression involves the variable ##i## while the other involves ##n##. You have to do a bit more work to connect the two.

Yes, the stated problem says to find the limit for sn. Can you give me a clue what to do to get on track here ?

Follow PeroK's advice and keep going.

I did and got A = - 1/2 and B = 1/2 ==> [ - (1/2) / ( i + 1 ) ] + [ (1/2) / ( i - 1 ) ] which does not seem to help. Where is that 3/4 coming from ?
I do not understand what vela is trying to tell me.
I know I am way off base here.

paulfr said:
I did and got A = - 1/2 and B = 1/2 ==> [ - (1/2) / ( i + 1 ) ] + [ (1/2) / ( i - 1 ) ] which does not seem to help. Where is that 3/4 coming from ?
Write out the sum Sn for n=1, n=2, n=3, n=4... What do you observe?

Likes SammyS
OK how about an easier question.
Why is limit n=> inf ∑ 1 / n2 = π2 / 6 ??

When I find the Antiderivative I get - 1/x
Where does the π come from ??

paulfr said:
OK how about an easier question.
Why is limit n=> inf ∑ 1 / n2 = π2 / 6 ??
This isn't actually an easier problem. Using the advice given in this thread are you able to finish the original problem in this thread?

No I can not.
But a p-series is rather basic so if I knew how to do this one
I will likely induce how to do others. First problem is the hardest one.
I know I need to work an improper integral, but can not get to π2 / 6

paulfr said:
No I can not.
But a p-series is rather basic so if I knew how to do this one
I will likely induce how to do others. First problem is the hardest one.
I know I need to work an improper integral, but can not get to π2 / 6
I don't think an improper integral is any help in this problem.

The p-series test tells you whether a series of the form ##\sum_{n = 1}^\infty \frac 1 {n^p}## converges. It doesn't tell you what such a series converges to.

Have you made any progress on the series you first asked about? That one is an example where you can actually find the value the series converges to.

The advice already given in this thread is enough to solve the problem you started with. By decomposing ##\frac 1 {i^2 - 1}## I was able to get exactly what it asks you to show.

Last edited:
ehild said:
paulfr said:
I do not understand what vela is trying to tell me.
I know I am way off base here.

Write out the sum Sn for n=1, n=2, n=3, n=4... What do you observe?
Similar to @ehild 's advice

Consider n=5:
Write out the four terms obtained from ##\displaystyle \ \frac12\frac1{(i-1)}\ ## for ##\ i =\,## 2, 3, 4, 5 . Don't bother to sum these.​

Similarly,
Write out the four terms obtained from ##\displaystyle \ \frac{-1}2\frac1{(i+1)}\ ## for ##\ i =\,## 2, 3, 4, 5 . Don't bother to sum these either.​
Now consider that you need to sum these 8 terms. What pops out at you?.

Sammy S
Thank you.
I can see the 3/4 when I find the 8 terms for n= 2,3,4,5.
It telescopes after 2 iterations of n.
And if the second term of the solution in the OP were not - 1/2n but was
+ 1/ 2(n+1) I would have it understood completely. [Maybe the teacher made an error ?]

I did the Integral Test and got 1/3 not 3/4.
Can not explain that but now I see that the convergence, if there is one, will
be the finite value of the integral.
Still very shaky understanding this but that's what keeps me coming back for more.
Smile
Thanks again.

paulfr said:
Sammy S
Thank you.
+ 1/ 2(n+1) I would have it understood completely. [Maybe the teacher made an error ?]
No. As written, it is correct. When you expand the summation, write terms for, say, n = 2, 3, 4, 5, as well as terms for n-3, n-2, n-1, and n. You should see that you will have the 3/4 term, but will also have a couple more.
paulfr said:
The integral test just tells you whether the series converges or diverges -- it doesn't give you the sum of the series.
paulfr said:
No. The integral is only loosely related to the summation.

Thanks Mark44
Yes if the integral is finite, the series is convergent.
I did the integral again and got 0.549 as a lower bound
Adding in f(N) = f(2) = 1/3, the upper bound is 0.882 and 3/4 fall between these bounds.
This lower/upper bound information is from Wiki ; Integral Series Test.
Thanks again.

paulfr said:
Sammy S
Thank you.

Still very shaky understanding this but that's what keeps me coming back for more.
Smile
Thanks again.
Clearly, you are missing the point.

There is no integral involved.

Had you done what I suggested you would have gotten the following.

Consider n=5:
Write out the four terms obtained from ##\displaystyle \ \frac12\frac1{(i-1)}\,,\ ## for ##i=## 2, 3, 4, 5 .
##\displaystyle \frac12, \frac14, \frac16, \frac18 ##​
Write out the four terms obtained from ##\displaystyle \ -\frac12\frac1{(i+1)}\,,\ ## for ##i=## 2, 3, 4, 5 .
##\displaystyle -\frac16, -\frac18, -\frac1{10}, -\frac1{12} ##​

Some terms cancel when you add these. Which ones don't cancel?
What happens if n = 12 instead of 5 ?

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto and ehild
Almost the same as @sammy-s hint...
The sum Sn can be written as ##S_n=\sum_2^n={\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{i-1}-\frac{1}{i+1}\right)}=\sum_2^n{a_i}##
Write up the terms ##a_i=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{i-1}-\frac{1}{i+1}\right)## for i=2, 3, 4, 5...
##a_2=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{2-1}-\frac{1}{2+1}\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{3}\right)##
##a_3=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{3-1}-\frac{1}{3+1}\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{4}\right)##
##a_4=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{4-1}-\frac{1}{4+1}\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{5}\right)##
##a_5=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{4-1}-\frac{1}{4+1}\right)=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{4}-\frac{1}{6}\right)##
What is S5, for example? You have to sum the ai-s.
##S_5=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{1}-\frac{1}{3} + \frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{4}+\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{5}+\frac{1}{4}-\frac{1}{6}\right)##
Some terms cancel... Which are the remaining terms? Which are the remaining terms in Sn?

Likes SammyS

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a mathematical concept that refers to a sum of an infinite number of terms. It is represented in the form of Σn=1∞ an, where n is the index of the terms and an is the value of each term.

2. How do you solve an infinite series problem?

Solving an infinite series problem involves finding the sum of all the terms in the series. This can be done by using various mathematical techniques, such as the geometric series formula, telescoping series, or power series. The approach taken will depend on the specific series and its properties.

3. What is the purpose of studying infinite series?

Infinite series are used in various fields of mathematics and science, such as calculus, physics, and engineering. They are particularly useful in approximating functions, solving differential equations, and analyzing the convergence and divergence of sequences.

4. What are some common types of infinite series?

Some common types of infinite series include arithmetic series, geometric series, harmonic series, and alternating series. These series have specific patterns and properties that can be used to determine their sums.

5. How do you know if an infinite series converges or diverges?

The convergence or divergence of an infinite series depends on the behavior of its terms. If the terms approach a finite limit, the series converges. If the terms do not approach a limit, the series diverges. There are various tests, such as the ratio test, integral test, and comparison test, that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.