Paid, year long undergraduate internship opportunites in accelerator science

In summary, the conversation discussed the search for paid internship opportunities in accelerator science and engineering for undergraduate students, preferably located anywhere in the world and accessible for Canadian students. The individual has looked into places like SLAC and CERN but has not found anything suitable due to being from a non-member state. They are considering graduate school in physics or engineering but are also interested in a more applied career path, such as accelerator science/engineering. They mentioned an upcoming exchange program and are looking for other opportunities that would allow them to make money while gaining experience in their field of interest. The conversation also included a list of potential internship opportunities within Canada.
nicholls
I was wondering if anybody knew of any good paid internship opportunities in the field of accelerator science/engineering or related fields for undergraduate students? They could be located anywhere in the world, but at least accessible for Canadian students. These internships would be approximately one year in length, and would be taken between say the third and fourth year of university.

I've looked into places like SLAC and CERN but have not found anything suitable. CERN offers exactly what I am looking for, however, I would have to be from a member state which I am not, so I cannot participate. I am wondering if anybody knows of any smaller companies or research institutes located anywhere in the world which may offer such internships.

A little extra information so you don't have to ask:
I am going into my third year of engineering physics at the university of toronto in Canada and I am planning out what I will be doing one year from now. Currently I am planning on participating on an exchange to DESY/university of hamburg in which I will go to class like a standard college exchange but will also participate in a year long research project in the Internation Max Planck Research School for Ultra Fast Imaging and Structural Dynamics. This is a great opportunity for me as I will get the chance to produce and publish a paper in a field I am interested in. However, money is an issue, and I will not be getting paid during this exchange. Thus I am trying to see if maybe I could find something equally as beneficial with which I could make money at the same time.

Right now I am considering graduate school in physics or engineering. I have a strong interest in high energy physics, and I have the academic capabilities to pursue this interest in graduate school, but I am debating as to whether it is the right career path for me. I am considering a more applied career path in which it might be a bit more easy for me to find a decent job, earlier in life (maybe before I'm 30). Accelerator science/engineering interests me as it is very applied and requires both substantial physics and engineering. It also is the backbone of research in experimental high energy physics plus many other important fields.

tldr: read the first paragraph

Physics news on Phys.org
I TLDR'd (okay, I skimmed the rest--I highly suggest you don't plan on going to grad school for the money / prestige).

We have a few of these in our own backyard. Granted, not as high-powered or high-price-tagged, but there's still good science going on there (and you're more likely to qualify and get paid for the internship or summer research / NSERC / NRC).

TRIUMF (TRI-University Meson Facility)
http://www.triumf.ca/home/employment-opportunities/undergradute-students/awards-scholarships

CLS (Canadian Light Source)
http://www.lightsource.ca/careers/

NRC Canadian Neutron Beam Centre
http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/ibp/cnbc.html

Do well at any of the above, and you'll probably find a contact or few (and their references) who probably knows / conferences with a guy / gal at one of the bigger names (pay may still be an issue--that's academia for you...)

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Paid, year long undergraduate internship opportunites in accelerator science

1. What is an accelerator science internship?

An accelerator science internship is a year-long opportunity for undergraduate students to work in a research laboratory or facility that focuses on the study and development of particle accelerators. These internships offer hands-on experience in a variety of areas such as accelerator design, operation, and maintenance.

2. Why should I consider a paid internship in accelerator science?

A paid internship in accelerator science provides students with the opportunity to gain valuable skills and experience in a cutting-edge field. It also allows for networking with professionals in the field, and can potentially lead to future job opportunities.

3. What are the qualifications for a year-long internship in accelerator science?

The specific qualifications for a year-long internship in accelerator science may vary depending on the program or institution offering the opportunity. Generally, applicants should be undergraduate students majoring in a science or engineering field and should have a strong academic record and relevant coursework. Some programs may also require letters of recommendation and/or a statement of purpose.

4. How do I find available internships in accelerator science?

There are several ways to find available internships in accelerator science. One option is to search online for programs or institutions that offer internships in this field. Another option is to network with professionals in the field and inquire about any available opportunities. Your university's career center or science department may also have information about internships in accelerator science.

5. Can I receive college credit for a year-long internship in accelerator science?

Many universities allow students to receive college credit for completing a year-long internship in accelerator science. However, this may vary depending on your institution's policies and the specific program you are participating in. It is important to discuss this with your academic advisor or internship supervisor beforehand to ensure you are meeting all necessary requirements.