Parabola: Vertex =(?,0) and know 2 arbitrary points. How solve x?

In summary, the author is seeking a way to solve for x at the vertex point of a given upwards opening parabola. They know the vertex point, and 2 arbitrary points on the parabola that are separated by a small step size. They can solve for x using the equation y = A (x + xo) ^2 + yo, where yo is set to 0. However, when they try to plug in their known points into the equation, they still have the same unknowns. They eventually find a function that solves for x and x0 using the known points (-6, 54) and (-5, 36), and X0 is set to -3+√6 and -3-√
FGD
Summary:: I have a upwards opening parabola where I know the Y vertex point = 0. I also know 2 arbitrary points separated by a step size on the parabola. How can I solve for x at the vertex point?

X=horizontal plane
Y=vertical plane

I have a upwards opening parabola where I know the Y vertex point = 0. I also know 2 arbitrary points on the parabola separated by a small step size. How can I solve for x at the vertex point?

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the generic equation for a parabola and see what you can fill in.

y = A (x + xo) ^2 + yo
yo=0
√(y/A) = x+xo
Can you explain how this helps find vertex x position?
I don't know x or the x offset.
I was hoping if I knew a slope of a point on the parabola and y vertex=0 there was a formula for that.

FGD said:
y = A (x + xo) ^2 + yo
yo=0
FGD said:
How can I solve for x at the vertex point?
FGD said:
Can you explain how this helps find vertex x position?
What happens when you fill in your known points into the equation of the curve? How many equations with how many unknowns do you end up with? :smile:

Sorry I meant A and xo are unknown. Plugging in my known points does not seam to get me any closer.
For example: This is all the data I have to go off.
2 pointes (x,y) = (-6 , 54) and (-5 , 36)
vy = 0

working the problem, I still seam to have the same unknowns. am i missing something?

FGD said:
y = A (x + xo) ^2 + yo
yo=0

FGD said:
Sorry I meant A and xo are unknown. Plugging in my known points does not seam to get me any closer.
For example: This is all the data I have to go off.
2 pointes (x,y) = (-6 , 54) and (-5 , 36)
vy = 0
Substitute the known points (-6, 54) and (-5, 36) for x and y in the equation at the top. You will get two equations in the unknowns A and x0, so you should be able to solve for A and x0.

Ok, so here are the 2 solutions.
1st (-6, 54)
A = 54 / (-6-X0)2

X0 =
xo.jpg

2nd (-5, 36)
A = 36 / (-5-X0)2

X0 =
xo2.jpg

Ok, I think I get what you are saying.
54 / (-6-X0)2 = 36 / (-5-X0)2
X0 =-3+√6 and X0 =-3-√6
Why are there 2 values for X0 when Y0 = 0 ?

Last edited:
One of them is an artifact from taking the square root, it's not an actual solution. If you plug that back into the original equation (for one of the two points) you'll see that only one fits.

Thank you guys for your help. I got a function that works now.
I wrote a function where v1 = (x,y) coordinate on the parabola, and v2 = another (x,y) coordinate a step apart. It returns the 2 results for the x vertex. It appears the x2 value is the correct one where x1 is wrong.

x1 = (v1.y * v2.x - v1.x * v2.y
- v2.x * Math.Sqrt(v1.y * v2.y)
+ v1.x * Math.Sqrt(v1.y * v2.y)) / (v1.y - v2.y);

x2 = (v1.y * v2.x - v1.x * v2.y
+ v2.x * Math.Sqrt(v1.y * v2.y)
- v1.x * Math.Sqrt(v1.y * v2.y)) / (v1.y - v2.y);

Parabolla.jpg

Now, my next question is why is this not used in gradient descent?
Seems like it gives an instant answer if vertex Y=0.
Example YouTube

Last edited:
FGD said:
v2 = another (x,y) coordinate a step apart.
What do you mean "a step apart"?
FGD said:
why is this not used in gradient descent?
What do you mean by "gradient descent"?

FGD said:
Now, my next question is why is this not used in gradient descent?
Seems like it gives an instant answer if vertex Y=0.
For parabolas that have a vertex at y=0, but not for anything else. If you know the function is a parabola with that property you don't use gradient descent.

Ok, thanks for the help. For my solver my goal is minimum error which would be zero. So, this will probably work better than gradient descent.
Thanks for the help
Keep up the good work.

1. What is the vertex of a parabola with a vertex of (h,0)?

The vertex of a parabola with a vertex of (h,0) is located at the point (h,0) on the coordinate plane. This is the highest or lowest point on the parabola, depending on whether it opens upwards or downwards.

2. How can I find the x-coordinate of the vertex if I know the vertex and two other points on the parabola?

To find the x-coordinate of the vertex, you can use the formula x = (x1 + x2)/2, where x1 and x2 are the x-coordinates of the two given points. This is because the x-coordinate of the vertex is always the midpoint between any two points on the parabola.

3. Can I find the y-coordinate of the vertex with only two arbitrary points on the parabola?

No, the y-coordinate of the vertex cannot be determined with only two arbitrary points on the parabola. The y-coordinate of the vertex is only dependent on the equation of the parabola, not on specific points.

4. How do I solve for x if I know the vertex and two arbitrary points on the parabola?

To solve for x, you can use the equation of the parabola in standard form: y = a(x-h)^2 + k. Plug in the coordinates of the vertex (h,k) and one of the given points (x,y) to create a system of equations. Then, solve for x using algebraic methods.

5. Is it possible to have more than one parabola with the same vertex and two arbitrary points?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one parabola with the same vertex and two arbitrary points. This is because there are an infinite number of parabolas that can pass through any given set of three points, as long as they are not all on the same line.