Parallel vector, I need a bit of explanation

• I
  • Thread starter lioric
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the solution to the given problem involves finding a vector u that, when added to the vector c multiplied by 3 and the vector d, creates a parallel vector to i + 3j. This is achieved by making the ratio of the x and y lengths of the vectors equal, resulting in the need to multiply c by 3. The concept of parallel vectors is based on the idea that they have the same direction, and the factor 3 comes from the ratio of x and y lengths.
lioric
TL;DR Summary
If we are making the vector parallel to i+3j, why do we multiply 3 with the i of the resultant vector ?
Given that c = 3i + 4j and d = i - 2j, find u if uc + d is parallel to i + 3j,

this is the question

in the solution,
it says that we have to multiply the 3 with the i

i do know that this is the ”method“ to do this question but I’d like a bit of explanatio.
I don’t understand why the 3 is multiplied with the i when in the question it says 3j.

thank you for your time.

Attachments

• 03E66D91-94ED-43E9-8892-99A9ADB34CAE.jpeg
    03E66D91-94ED-43E9-8892-99A9ADB34CAE.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
What is the vector ## \mu c + d## in terms of i and j? What does it mean for one vector to be parallel to another?

-Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes DrClaude
The answer the OP, vectors ai + bj and ci + dj will be parallel if b/a = d/c. So vector ai + bj will be parallel to i + 3j if b = 3a. This is where the factor 3 comes from.

Likes Lnewqban, FactChecker, topsquark and 1 other person
topsquark said:
Hint:
What is the vector ## \mu c + d## in terms of i and j? What does it mean for one vector to be parallel to another?

-Dan
If one vector is parallel that means the direction is the same. In terms of i and j the parallel vectors are always some multiple of the direction

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes FactChecker
DrClaude said:
The answer the OP, vectors ai + bj and ci + dj will be parallel if b/a = d/c. So vector ai + bj will be parallel to i + 3j if b = 3a. This is where the factor 3 comes from.
This speaks to me a lot. If something is parallel, the ratio of x to y lengths should be the same. Thank you very much. It makes so much more sense now.
I’ll propos this thread solved. Thank you all.
i love the way that you teach stuff

Likes Lnewqban, FactChecker and DrClaude

1. What is a parallel vector?

A parallel vector is a vector that has the same direction as another vector, but may have a different magnitude or length. This means that the two vectors are always pointing in the same direction, but one may be longer or shorter than the other.

2. How do you determine if two vectors are parallel?

To determine if two vectors are parallel, you can use the dot product. If the dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of their magnitudes, then the vectors are parallel. Another way is to compare the direction of the vectors. If they are pointing in the same direction or in opposite directions, then they are parallel.

3. What is the significance of parallel vectors in mathematics?

Parallel vectors are important in many mathematical applications, such as geometry, physics, and engineering. They are used to represent forces, velocities, and other physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. They also play a role in linear algebra, where they are used to solve systems of equations and perform transformations.

4. Can parallel vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, parallel vectors can be added or subtracted. When adding or subtracting parallel vectors, the resulting vector will still be parallel to the original vectors. The magnitude of the resulting vector will depend on the magnitude and direction of the original vectors.

5. How are parallel vectors used in real life?

Parallel vectors are used in many real-life applications, such as navigation, construction, and transportation. For example, in navigation, parallel vectors are used to represent the direction and magnitude of a ship's velocity. In construction, they are used to determine the direction and force of a structure's support beams. In transportation, they are used to calculate the speed and direction of a moving vehicle.