Understanding Parallel Vectors: Solving for t with c = 3i + 4j and d = i -2j

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of t if two vectors, d-tc and -2i+3j, are parallel. The solution involves equating the coefficients of i and j in the two vectors, which can also be described as finding the same "slope" between the two. Additionally, it is mentioned that if two vectors are parallel, one is multiplied by a scalar. The conversation also notes that one must be careful if one of the coefficients is zero.
phospho
Reading through a book and this question popped up, but the question didn't actually cover parallel vectors so I'm not sure what to make of it:

Given that c = 3i + 4j and d = i -2j find

t if d-tc is parallel to -2i + 3j

I done d - tc and got (1-3t)i + (-2-4t)j but I'm not quite sure how to equate this to the parallel vector -2i + 3j

in the solutions for some reason they have done the coefficient of i in vector -2i + 3j and multiplied it by the coeffecient of j in d-tc and done the same for j, so they have

-2(-2-4t) = 3(1-3t)

but I don't really know how they got that, if anyone could explain thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If two vectors are parallel, what can you say about the coefficients of i and j ?

oay said:
If two vectors are parallel, what can you say about the coefficients of i and j ?

I have no idea

edit: searched around and if two vectors are parallel then one of them is multiplied by a scalar, so

(1-3t)i + (-2-4t)j = k[-2i+3j]

so 1-3t = -2k , -2-4t = 3k

k = (1-3t)/-2

-2-4t = 3((1-3t)/-2)
t = -1/17

Last edited:
phospho said:
t = -1/17
Right! :smile:

Alternatively, you could say that they have the same "slope", so

(-2-4t) / (1-3t) = 3 / (-2)

ie the ratio of the i and j coefficients are the same.

(One has to be careful if one of the coefficients is zero, though.)

oay said:
Right! :smile:

Alternatively, you could say that they have the same "slope", so

(-2-4t) / (1-3t) = 3 / (-2)

ie the ratio of the i and j coefficients are the same.

(One has to be careful if one of the coefficients is zero, though.)

thanks

What are parallel vectors?

Parallel vectors are two or more vectors that have the same direction. This means that they are either pointing in the same direction or in the opposite direction.

How do you solve for t with given parallel vectors c = 3i + 4j and d = i - 2j?

To solve for t in this case, we can use the formula t = (cx - dx) / (dx - dy), where cx and dx are the x-coordinates of the vectors c and d, and dy and dy are the y-coordinates of the same vectors. In this case, cx = 3, dx = 1, and dy = -2. Plugging these values into the formula, we get t = (3 - 1) / (1 - (-2)) = 2/3.

Are parallel vectors always the same length?

No, parallel vectors do not have to be the same length. As long as they have the same direction, they can have different magnitudes or lengths.

Can we determine the magnitude of a parallel vector by solving for t?

No, solving for t only gives us a scalar value that represents the ratio between the two vectors. To determine the magnitude of a parallel vector, we need to know the magnitudes of the individual vectors and use the formula |c| = |d| * t.

How can understanding parallel vectors be useful in real-world applications?

Parallel vectors are used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics, to represent and manipulate directions and forces. They can be useful in solving problems involving motion, design of structures, and creating realistic visual effects.