Parametric Equations of an ellipse

In summary, the ellipse \frac{x^2}{3^2} + \frac{y^2}{4^2} = 1 can be drawn with parametric equations. If x=3cos(t), then y=4\sin t. However, y=4*sin(t) is incorrect.
ProBasket
The ellipse [tex]\frac{x^2}{3^2} + \frac{y^2}{4^2} = 1[/tex]
can be drawn with parametric equations. Assume the curve is traced clockwise as the parameter increases.

If [tex] x=3cos(t)[/tex]

then y = ___________________________

wouldnt i just sub x into the ellipse equation and solve for y?

well i did that and got [tex]\sqrt{(-1/16*((3*cos(t))^2/9)+1)}[/tex]

but there's a negative sign inside the sqrt function, so it's not possible

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\sqrt{(-1/16*((3*cos(t))^2/9)+1)}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{(-1/16*(9cos^2(t)/9)+1)}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{(-cos^2(t)/16+16/16)}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{(16-cos^2(t))}{16}} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{16-cos^2(t)}}{4} [/tex]

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{(4-cos(t))(4+cos(t))}}{4} [/tex]

Im sure that can simplify more, but I'm out of ideas.

Last edited:
Also consider that a circle is an ellipse with a = b = 1, in which case the parametric equations are:

[tex] x(t) = a cos(t) = cos(t) [/tex]
[tex] y(t) = b sin(t) = sin(t) [/tex]

Okay.I think it's not too difficult to show that
[tex] y=4\sin t [/tex]

Daniel.

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{(4-cos(t))(4+cos(t))}}{4} [/tex]

and y = 4*sin(t) is incorrect. I really get and understand how you got 4*sin(t). but anyone know why these answers are incorrect?

[tex] \frac{y^{2}}{16}=1-\cos^{2}t=\sin^{2}t\Rightarrow y^{2}=(4\sin t)^{2}\Rightarrow y=\pm 4\sin t [/tex]...U can choose the "-" sign ([tex] y\searrow \ \mbox{when} \ t\nearrow [/tex])...

Daniel.

The answer would be [tex] y = -4sin(t) [/tex] because the particle moves clockwise, and as [tex] t \nearrow, sin(t) \mbox { travels counter clockwise.} [/tex]

For [tex] sin(t) \mbox{ to travel clockwise you would need to multiply the parameter by -1} [/tex]

[tex] y(t) = 4sin(-t) \mbox{ which equals } y(t) = -4sin(t) \mbox{ by properties of the sin function} [/tex]

Well,what do you know,it's the same thing with what I've written...:-p

Daniel.

I was explaining to him why :)

whozum said:
Im sure that can simplify more, but I'm out of ideas.

Sure you were...:wink: However,i still think the OP needs to do some thinking on this problem.

Daniel.

Related to Parametric Equations of an ellipse

1. What are parametric equations of an ellipse?

The parametric equations of an ellipse are a set of equations that describe the coordinates of points along the perimeter of an ellipse. They are typically written in terms of a parameter, usually denoted as t, which varies between 0 and 2π as it moves around the ellipse.

2. How do you graph parametric equations of an ellipse?

To graph parametric equations of an ellipse, you can plot a series of points by substituting different values of t into the equations and then connecting the points. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or computer software to create a more accurate graph.

3. What is the difference between parametric equations and Cartesian equations of an ellipse?

The main difference between parametric equations and Cartesian equations of an ellipse is that parametric equations use a parameter to describe the curve, while Cartesian equations use x and y coordinates. Parametric equations are useful for describing the motion of a point along the ellipse, while Cartesian equations are better for finding specific points on the ellipse.

4. How do you convert parametric equations of an ellipse into Cartesian equations?

To convert parametric equations of an ellipse into Cartesian equations, you can use the trigonometric identities sin²θ + cos²θ = 1 and cosθ = x/r and sinθ = y/r, where r is the radius of the ellipse. This will allow you to eliminate the parameter t and rewrite the equations in terms of x and y.

5. What is the significance of the parameter t in parametric equations of an ellipse?

The parameter t in parametric equations of an ellipse represents the angle that a point on the ellipse makes with the center of the ellipse. As t varies between 0 and 2π, the point moves along the perimeter of the ellipse, tracing out its shape.