Parametric Equations of Osculating Circle

In summary, to find the parametric equations of the osculating circle to the given helix at t=pi, we first calculate the center and radius using the formula C(t) = r(t) + (1/k(t))N(t). Then, we use the standard form of a circle equation to get the parametric equations for the circle, which are x(t) = -3 + 2cos(t), y(t) = 2sin(t), z(t) = pi.
ns5032

Homework Statement

Find parametric equations of the osculating circle to the helix r(t)=cos(t)i+sint(t)j+tk corresponding to t=pi. Recall that the osculating circle is the best possible circle approximating a curve C at a given point P. It lies in the osculating plane (i.e., the plane containing T and N) of the curve at the point P, touches the curve at P, and its radius is equal to the reciprocal of the curvature of C at point P.

Homework Equations

T(t) = r'(t) / [length of r'(t)]
N(t) = T'(t) / [length of T'(t)]
curvature k(t) = [r'(t)Xr''(t)] / [length of r'(t)]^3

The Attempt at a Solution

(I think these are correctly calculated! Please check!)
So r(t) = <cos t, sin t, t>. At t=pi, r(t)= <-1, 0, pi>
r'(t) = <-sin t, cos t, 1>. At t=pi, r'(t)= <0, -1, 1>
length of r'(t) = sqrt(2)
r''(t) = <-cos t, -sin t, 0>. At t=pi, r''(t)= <1, 0, 0>
k(t)= 1/2
So since the radius is 1/curvature, then the radius is 2.
T(t)= 1/sqrt(2) <-sin t, cos t, 1>. At t=pi, T(t)= <0,-1/sqrt(2), 1/sqrt(2)>
N(t)=<-cos t, -sin t, 0>. At t=pi, N(t)= <-1, 0, 0>

Now... how do I find the center? I believe I must use the normal vector to the curve somehow, but can someone explain how exactly?

After finding the center and radius, how do I get the parametric equations of the circle?

Please help ASAP! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

To find the center of the osculating circle, you can use the following formula: C(t) = r(t) + (1/k(t))N(t), where C(t) is the center of the circle, r(t) is the position vector of the curve, k(t) is the curvature, and N(t) is the normal vector. Plugging in the values you have calculated, you should get C(t) = <-1, 0, pi> + 2 <-1, 0, 0> = <-3, 0, pi>. Therefore, the center of the osculating circle at t=pi is <-3, 0, pi>.

To get the parametric equations of the circle, you can use the standard form of a circle equation: (x-Cx)^2 + (y-Cy)^2 + (z-Cz)^2 = r^2, where C is the center of the circle and r is the radius. Plugging in the values you have calculated, you should get the following parametric equations for the osculating circle at t=pi:

x(t) = -3 + 2cos(t)
y(t) = 2sin(t)
z(t) = pi

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies.

Related to Parametric Equations of Osculating Circle

What are parametric equations of an osculating circle?

The parametric equations of an osculating circle describe the x and y coordinates of points on the circle in terms of a parameter t. These equations are used to represent the curvature of a curve at a specific point.

What is the significance of the osculating circle?

The osculating circle is significant because it provides a geometric interpretation of the curvature of a curve at a specific point. It is the circle that best approximates the curve at that point, and its radius is equal to the radius of curvature of the curve at that point.

How are the parametric equations of an osculating circle derived?

The parametric equations of an osculating circle are derived by considering the tangent and normal vectors to the curve at a specific point. The tangent vector represents the direction of the curve and the normal vector represents the direction of the curvature. By finding the intersection point of these two vectors, the center of the osculating circle can be determined, and the radius can be found using the distance formula.

What is the difference between the osculating circle and the circle of curvature?

The osculating circle and the circle of curvature are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. The osculating circle is the best approximation of the curve at a specific point, while the circle of curvature is the circle that best approximates the curve within a certain interval around that point.

How are parametric equations of an osculating circle used in real-world applications?

Parametric equations of an osculating circle are used in various applications, such as computer graphics, robotics, and motion planning. They are also used in physics to describe the motion of objects and in engineering to design smooth and efficient curves for roads and tracks.