Parametric hypothesis, uniform distribution

In summary, a sample of 100 is tested and found to have a uniform distribution with estimated parameters of a=1.01 and b=3. A null hypothesis of b=3 is tested using percentiles and the calculated value falls outside of the accepted interval, indicating that the chosen value for b may not be accurate. Further testing suggests that the true value of b may be between 3.001 and 3.076 due to the possibility of larger elements in the overall sample.
Deimantas

Homework Statement

We are given a sample of size 100. After some tests (histogram, Kolmogorov) we deduce the sample X is distributed uniformly. The next task is to presume the parameters are equal to values of your choice, and test if such hypothesis is true.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Uniform distribution has two parameters, a and b. My estimated parameters are a=1.01 (minimum value in the sample) and b=3 (max value in the sample).

I'm testing null hypothesis: b=3. The value of parameter a is known (1.01).

Mn= ((Xmax-b)*100)/(b-a) = 0

The percentiles are calculated using this formula:

hp=ln(p). So
h0.025=ln(0.025)=-3.6888794541139363
h0.975=ln(0.975)=-0.0253178079842899

The value of Mn should fall in the interval between h0.975 and h0.025 for the hypothesis to be accepted as correct.

This must be wrong, because I chose b value that is equal to the max value of the sample X, which should be a good estimate, and so the hypothesis should be accepted. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I might have got it. The reason values like 2.99 or 2.999 won't work is because b value is the maximum, and we already have a maximum of 3 in our sample of 100 elements. So the real value of parameter b can't be smaller than the one we already have in our sample, only equal or larger. I calculated, using the confidence interval formulas, that the real value of b should be in the interval of 3.001 and 3.076. It's because there might be larger elements in the general sample. Kinda makes sense, though it's a pity my estimated paramater b value of 3 doesn't fall in the interval and has to be rejected..

Related to Parametric hypothesis, uniform distribution

1. What is a parametric hypothesis?

A parametric hypothesis is a statement or prediction about a population parameter, such as the mean or standard deviation. It is based on a specific probability distribution, such as the normal distribution, and is used to make inferences about the population.

2. How is a parametric hypothesis tested?

A parametric hypothesis is typically tested using a statistical test, such as the t-test or ANOVA. These tests compare the observed data to the expected distribution under the null hypothesis, and determine whether there is enough evidence to reject the null hypothesis and support the parametric hypothesis.

3. What is a uniform distribution?

A uniform distribution is a probability distribution in which all outcomes have an equal probability of occurring. This means that the data is evenly spread out and there are no peaks or clusters. It is often used to represent situations where all outcomes are equally likely, such as rolling a fair die.

4. How is a uniform distribution different from other distributions?

Unlike other distributions, such as the normal distribution or exponential distribution, the uniform distribution has a constant probability for all outcomes. This means that there is no skewness or asymmetry in the data, and all outcomes have an equal chance of occurring.

5. What are some real-life examples of a uniform distribution?

A real-life example of a uniform distribution is the distribution of birth dates in a population. Assuming all births are equally likely throughout the year, the number of births per day should follow a uniform distribution. Another example is the distribution of numbers on a roulette wheel, where each number has an equal probability of being spun.