Parametrised Circle Trajectory: Particle in x≤0 Half-Plane

• Thread starter Poetria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the conversation discusses different parametrizations of the unit circle and the importance of the direction of the path in line integrals. The correct trajectory of a particle is a semi-circle contained in the x≥0 half-plane.
Poetria
Homework Statement
There is a unit circle, where x(t)=sin(t), y(t)=cos(t)
0≤t<pi
Relevant Equations
x^2+y^2=1
The trajectory of a particle is a semi-circle contained in the x≤0 half-plane.

Well, this is somewhat weird. I have come across examples with x(t)=cos(t), y(t)=sin(t) and not the other way round.
By the way, my answer is wrong but I don't know why. This is probably silly. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Those parametrizations are just different parametrizations of the unit circle.

Likes Poetria
Those are actually different paths going in different directions. For ##t \in (0,\pi)##, (cos(t),sin(t)) stays in the upper half-plane and goes counter-clockwise from (1,0) to (-1,0). The counter-clockwise, starting at (1,0), parameterization occurs often in complex analysis and elsewhere, but usually goes all the way around the circle.
(sin(t),cos(t)) stays in the right half-plane, starts at (0,1) and goes in a clockwise direction to (0,-1). That is an unusual parameterization.
When line integrals are studied, the correct direction of the path is critical. And the ends of the paths are always critical.

• Love
Likes Poetria
Orodruin said:
Those parametrizations are just different parametrizations of the unit circle.
Ok, I got it. Many thanks. But why is my answer wrong then? :rolleyes:

Great, I understand everything now. Many thanks. 😍

Poetria said:
Ok, I got it. Many thanks. But why is my answer wrong then? :rolleyes:
Hard to say because you never told us what the question actually was!

Likes Poetria
"The trajectory of a particle is a semi-circle contained in the x≤0 half-plane." - this one is wrong. There were several options in this problem.
The right one: The trajectory of a particle is a semi-circle contained in the x≥0 half-plane.

Thank you very much. I know this is easy but I was confused.

Likes benorin and Delta2

1. What is a parametrised circle trajectory?

A parametrised circle trajectory is a mathematical concept that describes the path of a particle moving along a circular path. It is defined by a set of equations that relate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle at any given time.

2. What is the significance of x≤0 in the half-plane?

The condition x≤0 in the half-plane refers to the restriction that the particle is only allowed to move in the left half of the x-axis. This constraint can arise in certain physical systems, such as when a particle is confined to a specific region or when there are external forces that limit its movement.

3. How is the parametrised circle trajectory related to circular motion?

The parametrised circle trajectory is a specific case of circular motion, where the particle moves along a circular path with a constant speed. The equations that describe the trajectory can be derived from the principles of circular motion, such as centripetal force and angular velocity.

4. Can the parametrised circle trajectory be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, the parametrised circle trajectory can be applied to real-world situations where a particle moves along a circular path. Examples include the motion of planets around the sun, the motion of a pendulum, and the motion of particles in a circular accelerator.

5. How can the parametrised circle trajectory be visualized?

The parametrised circle trajectory can be visualized using graphs or animations that show the position of the particle at different points in time. Additionally, mathematical software programs can be used to plot the trajectory and provide a visual representation of the particle's movement.