Parametrizing a Self-Intersecting Rectangle

• Thread starter Karnage1993
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rectangle
In summary, the problem asks to find a parametrization for a self-intersecting rectangle in ##\mathbb{R}^3## given by the implicit equation ##x^2-y^2z=0##. One approach is to let ##z=f(x,y)## and use the parametrization ##\Phi(u,v)=(u,v,\frac{u^2}{v^2})##, but finding the limits for ##u## and ##v## proves difficult. Another approach is to consider the level curves when ##z=c^2##, which results in two intersecting straight lines. By letting one of the parameters be ##z=c^2## and the other be ##y=y##, the
Karnage1993

Homework Statement

Let S be the self-intersecting rectangle in ##\mathbb{R}^3## given by the implicit equation ##x^2−y^2z = 0##. Find a parametrization for S.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my first encounter with a surface like this. The first thing that came to my mind was letting ##z = f(x,y)## so that the parametrization can be given as:

##\Phi(u,v) = (u,v,\displaystyle \frac{u^2}{v^2})##

The problem I'm having is finding the limits for ##u## and ##v##. When I plugged the implicit equation into Mathematica, the surface looks like an X shape from above, though I had to expand the range for the axes by a very large amount for it to look like that. I do know that ##v## has to be non-zero, but that's pretty much it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Karnage1993 said:

Homework Statement

Let S be the self-intersecting rectangle in ##\mathbb{R}^3## given by the implicit equation ##x^2−y^2z = 0##. Find a parametrization for S.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my first encounter with a surface like this. The first thing that came to my mind was letting ##z = f(x,y)## so that the parametrization can be given as:

##\Phi(u,v) = (u,v,\displaystyle \frac{u^2}{v^2})##

The problem I'm having is finding the limits for ##u## and ##v##. When I plugged the implicit equation into Mathematica, the surface looks like an X shape from above, though I had to expand the range for the axes by a very large amount for it to look like that. I do know that ##v## has to be non-zero, but that's pretty much it.

If you look at the traces when ##z = c^2## for you get ##x^2-y^2c^2=0## so the level curves of that surface are ##(x+cy)(x-cy)=0##, which is two intersecting straight lines. I would think about letting one of the parameters be ##z=c^2,\ y = y## and doing it as two pieces. That would certainly solve your range problem and also eliminates your problem when ##c=0##.

I don't quite get why you set ##z = c^2 \ge 0##. For example, if ##x=0,y=0## and ##z## negative, that also satisfies the equation, right?

Karnage1993 said:
I don't quite get why you set ##z = c^2 \ge 0##. For example, if ##x=0,y=0## and ##z## negative, that also satisfies the equation, right?

Yes. It's a bit strange though. The ##z## axis solves the equation alright, but there is no surface if ##z<0##. You just have the bare axis. I wouldn't include it as part of the parameterization, but your mileage may vary.

Okay, so suppose one piece of the surface is when ##x = cy##. How would I go about finding the limits for ##c,y##?

Karnage1993 said:
Okay, so suppose one piece of the surface is when ##x = cy##. How would I go about finding the limits for ##c,y##?

You know ##c## parameterizes the ##z## axis which is ##z\ge 0## for our purposes, and we are using ##c^2## for convience, so ##c\ge 0## is easy. Then those straight lines go forever so you wouldn't have any limit on ##y##. Have you tried a parametric plot to compare with your original plot?

Related to Parametrizing a Self-Intersecting Rectangle

1. How do you parametrize a self-intersecting rectangle?

A self-intersecting rectangle can be parametrized by breaking it into two separate parametric equations, one for each side of the rectangle. The first equation should represent the top and bottom sides, while the second equation represents the left and right sides.

2. What is the importance of parametrizing a self-intersecting rectangle?

Parametrizing a self-intersecting rectangle allows us to represent it as a single continuous curve, rather than two separate curves that intersect. This makes it easier to calculate properties such as arc length, area, and curvature.

3. Can a self-intersecting rectangle be parametrized in multiple ways?

Yes, a self-intersecting rectangle can be parametrized in multiple ways. The choice of parametrization depends on the specific properties or features of the rectangle that we want to highlight or analyze.

4. How does the parametrization of a self-intersecting rectangle affect its curvature?

The parametrization of a self-intersecting rectangle can affect its curvature by changing the direction and magnitude of the curvature at different points along the curve. For example, a parametrization that emphasizes the corners of the rectangle may result in higher curvature at those points.

5. Can parametrizing a self-intersecting rectangle be applied to other shapes as well?

Yes, parametrizing a self-intersecting rectangle can be applied to other shapes as well, such as polygons, circles, or more complex curves. It is a useful tool in mathematics and physics for analyzing and understanding various geometric shapes.