Partial derivative second order

In summary, the student is having trouble understanding how to approach the partial equation and wants some advice.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I am have a problem with the question displayed below:

upload_2017-2-15_23-33-6.png
[/B]

Its 6.1 ii) I am really not sure how I am suppose to approach this. I am new to partials, so any advice would be great.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have:
$$\frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{-x}{r^3} $$

using quotient rule:

$$=[\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(-x)(r^3)-(-x)(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}r^3)]/r^6$$

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}r^3=3r^2\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=3r^2*(x/r)=3rx$$

subbing the above into the quotient and simplifying
I get
$$\frac{-r^2+3x^2}{r^5}$$

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Taylor_1989 said:
using quotient rule:
might not be the best thing to do. How did you find ##\partial f\over\partial x## ?
And: was 6 i) all right and clear ? How come 6 ii) is then problematic ?

[edit] Stupid me o:) . Your working is completely correct. Well done...
'Quotient rule' confused me, but it works just fine. My approach would be to use the chain rule -- with, of course, the same result. Matter of preference, not matter of 'best thing to do'.

Last edited:
Taylor_1989 said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys, I am have a problem with the question displayed below:

View attachment 113277[/B]

Its 6.1 ii) I am really not sure how I am suppose to approach this. I am new to partials, so any advice would be great.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have:
$$\frac{\partial ^2 f}{\partial x^2}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\frac{-x}{r^3} $$

using quotient rule:

$$=[\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(-x)(r^3)-(-x)(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}r^3)]/r^6$$

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}r^3=3r^2\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=3r^2*(x/r)=3rx$$

subbing the above into the quotient and simplifying
I get
$$\frac{-r^2+3x^2}{r^5}$$
[/B]

Your answer is correct. It is a matter of taste whether you leave your final numerator as ##3x^2-r^2##, or re-write it as ##2x^2-y^2-z^2##.

BTW: Remove all those offensive bold fonts: it looks like you are yelling at us.

thank for the responses. I will remove bold next, i did not even notice it was bold.

What is a partial derivative of second order?

A partial derivative of second order is a mathematical concept that involves taking the derivative of a function with respect to two or more independent variables. It represents the rate of change of the function with respect to one variable while holding the other variables constant.

How do you calculate a partial derivative of second order?

To calculate a partial derivative of second order, you first take the partial derivative with respect to one variable, treating the other variables as constants. Then, you take the partial derivative of the resulting expression with respect to another variable, again treating the remaining variables as constants.

What is the difference between a partial derivative of second order and a total derivative?

A partial derivative of second order is only concerned with the rate of change of a function with respect to two or more independent variables. A total derivative, on the other hand, takes into account the effects of all independent variables on the function, including those that are not explicitly mentioned in the derivative.

Why are partial derivatives of second order important in science?

Partial derivatives of second order are important in science because they allow us to study the behavior of a multivariable function in a more detailed way. They can help us understand how changes in one variable affect the overall behavior of the function and how different variables interact with each other.

Can a partial derivative of second order be negative?

Yes, a partial derivative of second order can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing in the direction of that particular variable. However, it is important to note that the partial derivative only describes the rate of change of the function in one direction, and the overall behavior of the function may still be increasing or decreasing in a different direction.