Partial derivatives extensive use

In summary, the conversation discusses transforming expressions in terms of partial derivatives with respect to polar coordinates. The problem involves finding the second partials of u with respect to r and θ, using the chain rule and a diagram to understand the relationships between the variables. The method involves differentiating u with respect to r and θ, and then differentiating those results with respect to r and θ again.
shivam jain

Homework Statement

let u be a function of x and y.using x=rcosθ y=rsinθ,transform the following expressions in the terms of partial derivatives with respect to polar coordinates:(d^u/dx^2(double derivative of u with respect to x)+d^2u/dy^2(double derivative of u with respect to y)

Homework Equations

chain rule in partial derivatives

The Attempt at a Solution

first i differentiated u with respect to theta by using chain rule and then with respect to r also by using chain rule.first has no r term wheras 2nd has r terms so no way the terms can cancel also.please tell me how to proceed or method i should use to solve this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
shivam jain said:

Homework Statement

let u be a function of x and y.using x=rcosθ y=rsinθ,transform the following expressions in the terms of partial derivatives with respect to polar coordinates:(d^u/dx^2(double derivative of u with respect to x)+d^2u/dy^2(double derivative of u with respect to y)
Are these the partials you need to find?

$$ \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial r^2}~ \text{and}~\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial^2 \theta}$$

If so, what did you get for these first partials?
$$ \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}$$
$$ \frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}$$

For problems like this I find it helpful to draw a diagram of the relationships between all the variables.
Code:
      x ------ θ
 /
u
  \  y -------r

Although I can't show them, there are also lines between x and r and between y and θ.

The idea is that there are two ways to get from u to θ (through x and y), and there are two ways to get from u to r (also through x and y). This helps to get across the idea that each partial involves the sum of two terms.

Using subscripts to indicate partials, and letting u = f(x, y), we have
uθ = fx * xθ + fy * yθ, and
ur = fx * xr + fy * yr

To get the second partials (we don't call them double partials), you need to differentiate uθ with respect to θ, and differentiate ur with respect to r.

shivam jain said:

Homework Equations

chain rule in partial derivatives

The Attempt at a Solution

first i differentiated u with respect to theta by using chain rule and then with respect to r also by using chain rule.first has no r term wheras 2nd has r terms so no way the terms can cancel also.please tell me how to proceed or method i should use to solve this problem

Related to Partial derivatives extensive use

1. What is the definition of a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures how a function changes with respect to one of its variables while keeping all other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ (partial differential) and is used in multivariate calculus to solve problems involving multiple variables.

2. How are partial derivatives used in science and engineering?

Partial derivatives are extensively used in science and engineering to solve complex problems involving multiple variables. They are particularly useful in physics, where they are used to calculate rates of change in physical quantities, such as velocity, acceleration, and temperature. They are also used in economics, biology, and other fields to analyze and model real-world phenomena.

3. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative measures the change in a function with respect to one variable, while keeping all other variables constant. On the other hand, a total derivative measures the overall change in a function with respect to all its variables. In other words, a partial derivative considers only one direction of change, while a total derivative considers all directions of change.

4. Can you give an example of a real-life application of partial derivatives?

One example of a real-life application of partial derivatives is in economics, specifically in the field of optimization. Companies use partial derivatives to determine the optimal production level that will maximize their profits. By taking the partial derivative of the profit function with respect to the production level, they can find the production level that will result in the highest profit.

5. How can I improve my understanding of partial derivatives?

To improve your understanding of partial derivatives, it is essential to have a strong foundation in calculus and multivariate calculus. It is also helpful to practice solving problems involving partial derivatives and to seek additional resources, such as textbooks and online tutorials. Additionally, working with real-life applications of partial derivatives can also improve your understanding and help you see the practical uses of this concept.