Partial differential equation boundary

In summary, the conversation involves a problem where the goal is to calculate the stationary temperature field inside a room with convective heat exchange occurring at the two windows. The diffusion equation is used to calculate the temperature, and boundary conditions are set to satisfy the problem. The solution involves finding constants E and F, and the use of thermal conductivity (λ) and convective heat coefficient (h). The conversation also discusses the possibility of solving the problem without using a program like Matlab.
ficku1

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the stationary field inside a room.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the diffusion equation to calculate the temperature, which is
T(x,y)=(Eeknx+Fe-knx)cos(kny),
k=(n*pi/a), a is the length of the room.
Now i have to satisfy boundary conditions
-λdT/dx(x=0,y)=h((T(0,y)-T1) and
-λdT/dx(x=a,y)=h((T2-T(a,y)).

h is convective heat coefficient.
I am wondering if this is possible to solve without the use of Matlab or some programme?
I can't figure out how to get constants E and F with these two BCs.

I tried and i got

-λk(E-F)cos(ky)=h((E+F)cos(ky)-T1) but i don't know how to continue. Do you mulltiply it by cos(kmy) and then integrate it? But I can't come to any reasonable result, i can't get the E or F out of it.

If anybody has any advice i would be very happy to hear it.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the actual problem that you are solving?

I am solving this problem:
House: a room (see figure) has perfectly isolated walls, except the two windows where a convective heat exchange takes place (with the same transfer coefficient). Outside temperature in front of a sun-faced wall-sized panoramic window is T1, while at the back it is T2. Calculate the stationary temperature field inside the room. You can also play by adding an additional energy flux through the front window due to a sunlight at an angle φ.

Attachments

• room.docx
    170.6 KB · Views: 141
I guess you are supposed to assume that this is a pure heat conduction problem, with no natural convection currents in the air. Suppose both windows were the same size. Would you be able to solve the problem then? What would you get?

ficku1 said:

Homework Statement

I have to calculate the stationary field inside a room.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the diffusion equation to calculate the temperature, which is
T(x,y)=(Eeknx+Fe-knx)cos(kny),
k=(n*pi/a), a is the length of the room.
Now i have to satisfy boundary conditions
-λdT/dx(x=0,y)=h((T(0,y)-T1) and
-λdT/dx(x=a,y)=h((T2-T(a,y)).

h is convective heat coefficient.
I am wondering if this is possible to solve without the use of Matlab or some programme?
I can't figure out how to get constants E and F with these two BCs.

I tried and i got

-λk(E-F)cos(ky)=h((E+F)cos(ky)-T1) but i don't know how to continue. Do you mulltiply it by cos(kmy) and then integrate it? But I can't come to any reasonable result, i can't get the E or F out of it.

If anybody has any advice i would be very happy to hear it.
Thank you.
In your boundary conditions, what is ##\lambda##? Why do you have no "##n##" on your E and F; that is, should the solution be
$$T(x,y) = \sum_{n} \left( E_n e^{k_n x} + F_n e^{-k_n x} \right) \cos (k_n y) ? $$

Also, you should explain briefly how the ##k_n = n \pi/a## arise, and show briefly how you obtained your formula for ##T(x,y)##. For all we know you might have made a mistake, but we cannot tell if you don't supply more details.

Last edited:
Yes, the equation should be like that.
λ is thermal conductivity.
I have attached a document where you can see my calculations.

Attachments

• Room.docx
    20.3 KB · Views: 164
ficku1 said:
Yes, the equation should be like that.
λ is thermal conductivity.
I have attached a document where you can see my calculations.

Why are two of your boundary conditions given as
$$-\lambda \frac{\partial}{\partial x} T(x=a,y) = h [T(a,y)-T_1]\;\; \text{and} \; -\lambda \frac{\partial}{\partial x} T(x=0,y) = h[T_2 - T(0,y)]$$
instead of just ##T(a,y) = T_1## and ##T(0,y) = T_2##?

Last edited:

1. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A partial differential equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe how a function changes in relation to those variables.

2. What is a boundary condition in a PDE?

A boundary condition in a PDE is a set of constraints that are applied to the variables in the equation at the boundaries of the domain. These conditions are used to determine the behavior of the solution at those boundaries.

3. Why are boundary conditions important in solving PDEs?

Boundary conditions are important in solving PDEs because they help define a unique solution to the equation. Without boundary conditions, there would be an infinite number of solutions that could satisfy the equation.

4. What types of boundary conditions exist in PDEs?

There are three main types of boundary conditions in PDEs: Dirichlet boundary conditions, Neumann boundary conditions, and Mixed boundary conditions. Dirichlet boundary conditions specify the value of the function at the boundary, Neumann boundary conditions specify the derivative of the function at the boundary, and Mixed boundary conditions combine both Dirichlet and Neumann conditions.

5. How do boundary conditions affect the solution of a PDE?

Boundary conditions can significantly affect the solution of a PDE. They can determine whether a solution exists or not, and they can also impact the behavior of the solution at the boundaries. In some cases, boundary conditions may also influence the convergence and accuracy of numerical methods used to solve the PDE.