Partial differential equation - change of variables.

In summary, if f is a differentiable function of one variable, then the PDE above is satisfied by z= f(x+2y). Additionally, the change in variables t=x+2y, s=x reduces the PDE to dz/dt=0.
mathman44

Homework Statement

Consider the PDE:

[tex]2dz/dx[/tex] - [tex]dz/dy[/tex] = 0

How can I show that if f(u) is differentiable function of one variable, then the PDE above is satisfied by z = f(x +2y)?

Also, the change in variables t = x+2y, s=x reduces the above PDE to [tex]dz/dt[/tex] = 0. But how can I show this?

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply don't understand, these are my notes from class today and I want to understand while it's early... All I know is that this involves the chain rule.

Physics news on Phys.org
Shameless bump. This is driving me nuts!

mathman44 said:

Homework Statement

Consider the PDE:

[tex]2dz/dx[/tex] - [tex]dz/dy[/tex] = 0

How can I show that if f(u) is differentiable function of one variable, then the PDE above is satisfied by z = f(x +2y)?
Let u= x+ 2y and use the chain rule: [itex]\partial f/\partial x= (df/du)(\partial u/\partial x)[/itex]= f'(u)(1)= f'(u) and [itex]\partial f/\partial y= (df/du)(\partial u/\partial y)= f'(u)(2)= 2f'(u)[/itex]. Put those into the equation and see what happens.

Also, the change in variables t = x+2y, s=x reduces the above PDE to [tex]dz/dt[/tex] = 0. But how can I show this?
If t= x+ 2y and s= x, then x= s and t= s+ 2y so 2y= t- s and y= (t-s)/2. Now, [itex]\partial z/\partial x= (\partial z/\partial t)(\partial t/\partial t)+[/itex][itex] (\partial z/\partial s)(\partial s/\partial x)[/itex][itex]= 1(\partial z/\partial t)+ 1(\partial z/\partial s)= \partial z/\partial t+ \partial z/\partial s[/itex] and [itex]\partial z/\partial y= (\partial z/\partial t)(\partial t)\partial y)+ (\partial z/\partial s)(\partial s/\partial y)[/itex][itex]= 2 \partial z/\partial t+ 0\partial z/\partial s= 2\partial z/\partial t[/itex].

Putting those into [itex]2\partial z/\partial x-\partial z/\partial y= 0[/itex] and it becomes [itex]2(\partial z/\partial t+ \partial z/\partial s)- 2\partial z/\partial t= 0[/itex].

The two "[itex]2\partial z/\partial t[/itex]" terms cancel leaving [itex]2\partial z/\partial s= 0[/itex] which is equivalent to [itex]\partial z/\partial s= 0[/itex] which says that z does not depend upon s at all. Since any dependence on t alone satisfies that, z= f(t), for t any differentiable function, satisfies that equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply don't understand, these are my notes from class today and I want to understand while it's early... All I know is that this involves the chain rule.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much, that makes it seem very intuitive.

Related to Partial differential equation - change of variables.

1. What is a partial differential equation?

A partial differential equation (PDE) is a mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to model and describe physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is a change of variables in a PDE?

A change of variables in a PDE refers to the process of transforming the independent variables in the equation to a new set of variables. This is done to simplify the equation or make it easier to solve.

3. Why is a change of variables useful in solving PDEs?

A change of variables can transform a complex PDE into a simpler form that is easier to solve. It can also help to reveal important properties of the equation, such as symmetries or invariances.

4. What are the common types of changes of variables used in PDEs?

The most commonly used changes of variables in PDEs include linear transformations, polar coordinates, and Fourier transforms. Other techniques, such as separation of variables and similarity transformations, are also commonly used.

5. Are there any limitations to using change of variables in solving PDEs?

While change of variables can be an effective tool in solving PDEs, it is not always possible to find a suitable transformation that simplifies the equation. In some cases, the transformed equation may be more complex or difficult to solve than the original equation.