Solving the wave equation with change of variables approach

In summary, the textbook approach is to use the change of variables to get the solution for the wave equation. The second approach is to use separation of variables.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Kindly see the attachment below
Relevant Equations
D'Alembert approach (change of variables )
I am refreshing on the pde's, and i am trying to understand how the textbook was addressing change of variables, i find it a bit confusing. I will share the textbook approach, then later share my own understanding on change of variables approach. Here is the textbook approach;

1638706553231.png

1638706654514.png

My approach on this change of variables would look like this,
Let the pde be of the form;
##au_{xx}+bu_{xt}+cu_{tt}+du_x+eu_t+fu=0##
Consider the pde; ##u_{tt}= c^2u_{xx}## then we may use the change of variables as indicated by literature into working out the solution...

Now letting, ##ξ = x +ct## and ##η= x-ct##, then it follows that,
##u_x##=## u_ξ⋅ξ_x + u_η⋅η_x## =##u_ξ + η_x##
##u_{xx}## = ##u_x⋅u_ξ⋅ξ_x + u_x⋅u_η⋅η_x## = ##u_x⋅u_ξ+u_x⋅u_η## = ##[u_ξ⋅ξ_x + u_η⋅η_x]⋅u_ξ +[u_ξ⋅ξ_x + u_η⋅η_x]⋅u_η## = ##u_{ξξ} + 2u_{ξη} + u_{ηη}##
Similarly, i can show that,
##u_t## =## cu_ξ - cu_η ## ... Note that ##[u_t## =##u_ξ ⋅ξ_t + u_η ⋅η_t]##
##u_{tt}##= ##u_t⋅u_ξ⋅ξ_t +u_t ⋅u_η⋅ η_t##=... ##c^2u_{ξξ}-2c^2u_ξ⋅u_η +c^2u_{ηη}##
also,
##u_{xt}##= ##u_x⋅u_ξ⋅ξ_t + u_x⋅u_η⋅η_t##

My point is that, since i understand this quite well then i should not bother with the textbook approach as both ways would work towards the same solution...right?

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
HI,

You left out a chunk of the text in the book, and now compare the section intended to show that the classification of PDEs is independent of the coordinate system ## -## for which they consider a change of variable ##-## with one specific change of variable that works for your wave equation.

So in your case both ways are equivalent, yes.

##\ ##

Likes chwala
This is a continuation of the same 'subject' content...now looking at the highlighted part...
1638762517432.png

I want to be certain that i am getting it right,...on substituting for ##u_{xx}## and ##u_{tt}##we shall end up with;
##-4c^2u_{ξη}=0##
which simplifies to ##u_{ξη}=0##...

the other parts seem to be straightforward; ie
1638764275397.png

we can get the highlighted solution by integrating,
##cφ^{'}(x)-cΦ^{'}(x) ##=## g(x)##
On integration, we shall get;
##cφ(x)-cΦ(x)##=##\int_{x_0}^x g(s)ds##...from this we can establish that;
##φ(x) - Φ(x)##=## \frac {1}{c}## ##\int_{x_0}^x g(s)ds##...(1)
##φ(x) + Φ(x)##=##f(x)##...(2)

solving (1) and (2) simultaneously yields the highlighted solution ##Φ(x)## ... the second solution can also be found in a similar approach.

In the second approach to solving this, i.e by use of... separation of variables... using ##u(x,t) = X(x) T(t)## seems to be straightforward...phew

Last edited:
Likes Delta2

1. What is the wave equation and why is it important in science?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves, such as sound waves or electromagnetic waves. It is important in science because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of waves, which are fundamental to many natural phenomena and technologies.

2. What is the change of variables approach in solving the wave equation?

The change of variables approach is a mathematical technique used to solve the wave equation. It involves substituting new variables into the equation, which can simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. This approach is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve complex wave equations.

3. How does the change of variables approach differ from other methods of solving the wave equation?

The change of variables approach differs from other methods in that it involves transforming the original equation into a new form, rather than directly solving it. This can make the equation easier to solve, but it may also introduce new variables that need to be accounted for.

4. What are some practical applications of solving the wave equation with the change of variables approach?

The change of variables approach is used in a variety of practical applications, such as acoustics, electromagnetics, and fluid dynamics. It is also commonly used in the design and analysis of structures, such as bridges and buildings, to predict how they will respond to waves, such as earthquakes or wind.

5. Are there any limitations to using the change of variables approach in solving the wave equation?

While the change of variables approach can be useful in solving complex wave equations, it may not always be the most efficient or accurate method. In some cases, other techniques, such as numerical methods, may be more suitable. Additionally, the change of variables approach may not be applicable to all types of wave equations, so it is important to consider the specific problem at hand when choosing a method for solving the wave equation.