Partial Fraction Decomposition

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the partial fraction decomposition for the function ##\frac{1}{\left(x^2-1\right)^2}##. The discussion involves using simultaneous equations to solve for the values of ##A## and ##C## in the decomposition. The suggestion is made to use different equations that provide more information about the individual values of ##A## and ##C##.
opus
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the partial fraction decomposition for:

##\frac{1}{\left(x^2-1\right)^2}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see my attached images. I think the image shows my thought process better and it would take me well over an hour to type all that out!

Im stuck at the very end, where it results in a true statement, yet I'm trying to get values for A and C (Step iv-c)

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Please see attached. The second image is Page 1.

Attachments

• 0958D8E0-A450-4049-88FD-4F08FBA8B3E5.jpeg
    0958D8E0-A450-4049-88FD-4F08FBA8B3E5.jpeg
    11.2 KB · Views: 390
  • EDF5BF1D-73D9-46AF-8129-6A82AAC8CCDA.jpeg
    EDF5BF1D-73D9-46AF-8129-6A82AAC8CCDA.jpeg
    32 KB · Views: 392
Try solving the simultaneous equations
## -A - 2B - C + 2D = 0##
## A + B - C + D = 1 ##
instead of the two you choose.

If you add the two equations you choose, you can see that ##A## and ##C## are eliminated from the result, which suggests the two you selected don't provide information about the individual values of ##A## and ##C##.

Likes Delta2 and opus
Great thank you!

Likes Delta2

What is partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is a mathematical method used to break down a rational function into simpler fractions. This allows for easier integration and simplification of complex functions.

Why is partial fraction decomposition important?

Partial fraction decomposition is important because it allows for the integration and simplification of complex rational functions, making it easier to solve equations and understand the behavior of functions.

How do you perform partial fraction decomposition?

To perform partial fraction decomposition, the rational function is first written in the form of a numerator over a denominator. Then, the denominator is factored into linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Finally, the coefficients of each factor are determined using a system of equations.

What is the purpose of factoring the denominator in partial fraction decomposition?

Factoring the denominator in partial fraction decomposition allows for the identification of the simpler fractions that make up the original rational function. This makes it easier to integrate and simplify the function.

What types of functions are suitable for partial fraction decomposition?

Partial fraction decomposition is suitable for rational functions, which are functions with polynomials in the numerator and denominator. These functions can be integrated using partial fraction decomposition to simplify and solve equations.