Why is my partial fraction decomp. wrong?

In summary: Thanks for your helpIn summary, the conversation discusses the decomposition of the fraction 2(1-2x^2)/x(1-x^2), with the attempted solution resulting in A=2, B=-1, C=1. However, the online calculators and steps shown suggest that the correct solution is A=2, B=1, C=1. The conversation also addresses a potential typo in using x-1 instead of 1-x under the B term in the decomposition. After further analysis, it is determined that the initial solution is actually correct and recomposes to the original equation.
kostoglotov

Homework Statement

Decompose [itex]\frac{2(1-2x^2)}{x(1-x^2)}[/itex]

I get A = 2, B =-1, C = 1, but this doesn't recompose into the correct equation, and the calculators for partial fraction decomposition online all agree that it should be A = 2, B = 1, C = 1.

Here is one of the online calculator results with steps shown: http://www.emathhelp.net/calculators/algebra-2/partial-fraction-decomposition-calculator/?numer=2(1-2x^2)&denom=x(1-x)(1+x)&steps=on

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
[tex]\frac{2(1-2x^2)}{x(1-x^2)} = \frac{2(1-2x^2)}{x(1-x)(1+x)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{A}{x} + \frac{B}{1-x} + \frac{C}{1+x} = \frac{2(1-2x^2)}{x(1-x)(1+x)}[/tex]

[tex]A(1-x)(1+x) + Bx(1+x) + Cx(1-x) = 2(1-2x^2)[/tex]

Let (i) x = 0, (ii) x = +1, (iii) x = -1

[tex]x = 0, A = 2(1-0), A = 2[/tex]
[tex]x = 1, B(1)(1+(1)) = 2(1-2) = -2, 2B = -2, B = -1[/tex]
[tex]x = -1, C(-1)(1-(-1)) = 2(1-2) = -2, -2C = -2, C = 1 [/tex]

This of course recomposes to

[tex]\frac{2(1-x^2)-2x^2}{x(1-x)(1+x)}[/tex]

not the original equation.

The only thing the online calculator really did differently from me is change a term in the denominator from [itex]1-x^2[/itex] to [itex]x^2-1[/itex]. I used a shortcut of subbing in the roots of the denominator in order to quickly find the constant numerator values, but even if I use the long method of matching the term coefficients as the online calculator used, I still get my wrong values for A,B and C...why does changing [itex]1-x^2[/itex] to [itex]x^2-1[/itex] matter?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kostoglotov said:

Homework Statement

Decompose [itex]\frac{2(1-2x^2)}{x(1-x^2)}[/itex]

I get A = 2, B =-1, C = 1, but this doesn't recompose into the correct equation, and the calculators for partial fraction decomposition online all agree that it should be A = 2, B = 1, C = 1.

Here is one of the online calculator results with steps shown: http://www.emathhelp.net/calculators/algebra-2/partial-fraction-decomposition-calculator/?numer=2(1-2x^2)&denom=x(1-x)(1+x)&steps=on

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
[tex]\frac{2(1-2x^2)}{x(1-x^2)} = \frac{2(1-2x^2)}{x(1-x)(1+x)}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{A}{x} + \frac{B}{x-1} + \frac{C}{x+1} = \frac{2(1-2x^2)}{x(1-x)(1+x)}[/tex]

[tex]A(1-x)(1+x) + Bx(1+x) + Cx(1-x) = 2(1-2x^2)[/tex]

Let (i) x = 0, (ii) x = +1, (iii) x = -1

[tex]x = 0, A = 2(1-0), A = 2[/tex]
[tex]x = 1, B(1)(1+(1)) = 2(1-2) = -2, 2B = -2, B = -1[/tex]
[tex]x = -1, C(-1)(1-(-1)) = 2(1-2) = -2, -2C = -2, C = 1 [/tex]

This of course recomposes to

[tex]\frac{2(1-x^2)-2x^2}{x(1-x)(1+x)}[/tex]

not the original equation.

The only thing the online calculator really did differently from me is change a term in the denominator from [itex]1-x^2[/itex] to [itex]x^2-1[/itex]. I used a shortcut of subbing in the roots of the denominator in order to quickly find the constant numerator values, but even if I use the long method of matching the term coefficients as the online calculator used, I still get my wrong values for A,B and C...why does changing [itex]1-x^2[/itex] to [itex]x^2-1[/itex] matter?
Is there a reason you use ##x-1## instead of ##1-x## under the "B"?:
[tex]\frac{A}{x} + \frac{B}{x-1} + \frac{C}{x+1} = \frac{2(1-2x^2)}{x(1-x)(1+x)}[/tex]

Samy_A said:
Is there a reason you use ##x-1## isntead of ##1-x## under the "B"?:

typo, will fix, thanks.

As ##\frac{2(1-x^2)-2x^2}{x(1-x)(1+x)}=\frac{2-2x^2-2x^2}{x(1-x)(1+x)}=\frac{2-4x^2}{x(1-x)(1+x)}=\frac{2(1-2x^2)}{x(1-x²)}##, I don't see why you say that it recomposes to something different from the original expression.

Your result looks correct to me.

Samy_A said:
As ##\frac{2(1-x^2)-2x^2}{x(1-x)(1+x)}=\frac{2-2x^2-2x^2}{x(1-x)(1+x)}=\frac{2-4x^2}{x(1-x)(1+x)}=\frac{2(1-2x^2)}{x(1-x²)}##, I don't see why you say that it recomposes to something different from the original expression.

Your result looks correct to me.

Selective blindness strikes again...that's worse news actually, because that means it wasn't the part frac decomp where I've messed up the solution to this larger diff eq problem.

1. Why does my partial fraction decomposition not match the solution in my textbook?

Partial fraction decomposition can have multiple solutions, so it is possible that your textbook shows a different solution than the one you have calculated. It is also possible that there was an error in your calculations or in the given problem.

2. How can I check if my partial fraction decomposition is correct?

You can check your partial fraction decomposition by combining the individual fractions and simplifying the resulting expression. This should give you the original rational function. You can also use a calculator to graph both the original function and the decomposed fractions and see if they match.

3. What are some common mistakes that can lead to incorrect partial fraction decomposition?

Some common mistakes include not simplifying the rational function before decomposition, missing a term in the decomposition, or incorrectly setting up the equations for the unknown coefficients. It is also important to be careful with signs and exponents when expanding the fractions.

4. Can I use partial fraction decomposition for any rational function?

Partial fraction decomposition can only be used for proper rational functions, which are functions where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator. Improper rational functions can be divided to become proper, and then partial fraction decomposition can be used.

5. Is there a faster way to do partial fraction decomposition?

There are some techniques that can make partial fraction decomposition faster, such as using a cover-up method for repeated linear factors or using a matrix method for larger systems of equations. However, these methods also have their limitations and may not always be applicable.