Particle Dacay with four vectors (not too hard)

E3 + m3 + E4 + m4 + E5 + m5 + E6 + m6 E1 = (E3 + m3 + E4 + m4 + E5 + m5 + E6 + m6) - (m1 + E2)In summary, to make strange particles in a 'fixed target' experiment, the threshold kinetic energy of the beam must be calculated by equating the total four-momentum of the initial and final states and solving for the kinetic energy of the beam. For the reactions (a) p + p --> \Lambda + K(+) + p and (b) p + p --> K+ + K− + p + p, the four
Zeebo
Problem:
Given that the [tex]\Lambda[/tex] has Q=0, B=1, S=-1 and the K(+) has Q=1, B=0, S=1 and the K− is its
antiparticle, show that the following reactions are suitable for making strange particles. Calculate
the threshold kinetic energy of the beam for producing these reactions in a ‘fixed target’ experiment.
(a) p + p --> [tex]\Lambda[/tex] + K(+) + p
(b) p + p --> K+ + K− + p + p

Attempt at a Solution:
I had no trouble showing that the two sides conserve Q,B and S. I'm simply having trouble setting up the four vectors for part 2. If someone could simply show me the setup for a), including the components of the four vectors, I should be fine.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what the momentum of the target is, so I'm not sure how to calculate it.Solution: Part (a): The four vectors for this reaction are: Beam: p + P --> \Lambda + K(+) + pInitial state: (p1,m1), (P2,m2)Final state: (\Lambda3,m3), (K(+)4,m4), (p5,m5)Conservation of four-momentum requires that: p1 + P2 = \Lambda3 + K(+)4 + p5The threshold kinetic energy of the beam can be found by equating the total four-momentum of the initial and final states and solving for E1, the kinetic energy of the beam. p1 + P2 = \Lambda3 + K(+)4 + p5 E1 + m1 + E2 + m2 = E3 + m3 + E4 + m4 + E5 + m5 E1 = (E3 + m3 + E4 + m4 + E5 + m5) - (m1 + E2)Part (b): The four vectors for this reaction are: Beam: p + P --> K+ + K− + p + p Initial state: (p1,m1), (P2,m2)Final state: (K(+)3,m3), (K(-)4,m4), (p5,m5), (p6,m6)Conservation of four-momentum requires that: p1 + P2 = K(+)3 + K(-)4 + p5 + p6 The threshold kinetic energy of the beam can be found by equating the total four-momentum of the initial and final states and solving for E1, the kinetic energy of the beam. p1 + P2 = K(+)3 + K(-)4 + p5 + p6 E1 + m1 + E2

Related to Particle Dacay with four vectors (not too hard)

1. What is particle decay with four vectors?

Particle decay with four vectors is a process in which a particle breaks down into smaller particles, and the energy and momentum of all the particles involved are conserved. The four vectors refer to the four-dimensional vectors used to describe the energy and momentum of the particles in special relativity.

2. How is particle decay with four vectors different from regular particle decay?

In regular particle decay, only the energy is conserved, while in particle decay with four vectors, both energy and momentum are conserved. This is because the four-dimensional vectors take into account the effects of special relativity, which plays a crucial role in high-energy particle interactions.

3. What is the significance of studying particle decay with four vectors?

Studying particle decay with four vectors allows us to better understand the fundamental forces and interactions at play in the subatomic world. It also helps us to make predictions and calculations about particle interactions, which can have practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy and particle accelerator technology.

4. Can you provide an example of particle decay with four vectors?

One example of particle decay with four vectors is the decay of a neutral pion (π0) into two photons (γ). In this process, the energy and momentum of the initial pion are conserved, as well as the energy and momentum of the resulting photons.

5. Is particle decay with four vectors a difficult concept to understand?

Particle decay with four vectors can be a complex concept, especially for those without a strong background in physics. However, with proper explanation and visualization, it can be understood by anyone interested in learning about the subatomic world and its interactions.