Particle Decay After a Certain Distance

In summary: Never mind, I just tried using that and didn't really see anything promising so I'm assuming that's not what you were alluding...In summary, the particle will only see the distance of how fast its traveling V * how long its traveling for t.
PatrickStar

Homework Statement

A certain elementary particle lives only a time [T][/0] = 5 sec (proper time) before disintegrating. What velocity must the particle have if it is to reach the Earth from the Sun before disintegrating? Distance between the Earth and Sun is 1.5x10^11 meters.[/B]

Homework Equations

I don't necessarily know which equations would be most relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been working on this problem for several hours now and cannot seem to get an answer, I have tried every which way but no luck so far.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi PatrickStar and welcome to PF.

Surely you can do better than this. Maybe you are new, but we do expect to see some initial effort on your part.
PatrickStar said:
I don't necessarily know which equations would be most relevant.
What topics are you covering in class now or have covered recently? Make a list of these equations, eliminate the ones you think are irrelevant and post the rest.
PatrickStar said:
I have been working on this problem for several hours now and cannot seem to get an answer, I have tried every which way but no luck so far.
Show all the ways you have tried. We will steer you away from blind alleys and point out what looks promising.

kuruman said:
Hi PatrickStar and welcome to PF.

Surely you can do better than this. Maybe you are new, but we do expect to see some initial effort on your part.

What topics are you covering in class now or have covered recently? Make a list of these equations, eliminate the ones you think are irrelevant and post the rest.

Show all the ways you have tried. We will steer you away from blind alleys and point out what looks promising.
Sorry, excuse my lack of effort, I have just been working on this question for nearly 7 hours and have no sight of solving it and am pretty defeated.
I have tried using several equations, such as v=d/t where I subbed out t for the [t][/0]/(sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) to account for the time dilation that would occur when the particle approaches the speed of light but that didn't get me anywhere a long with several other strategies. A push in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Using d/t is the correct equation. Look at the question from the particle's point of view. The particle lives for 5 s in its own frame, so that's the t in the denominator. What is the distance in the particle's own frame that the particle covers in that amount of time?

Likes PatrickStar
kuruman said:
Using d/t is the correct equation. Look at the question from the particle's point of view. The particle lives for 5 s in its own frame, so that's the t in the denominator. What is the distance in the particle's own frame that the particle covers in that amount of time?
The distance would be the total length, i.e. 1.5x10^11 wouldn't it? Or would it be 5 seconds * its Velocity?

PatrickStar said:
The distance would be the total length, i.e. 1.5x10^11 wouldn't it?
Nope. That's the distance s measured by someone at rest with respect to the Sun-Earth system. Remember, the particle "sees" that distance moving relative to it.

Likes PatrickStar
kuruman said:
Nope. That's the distance s measured by someone at rest with respect to the Sun-Earth system. Remember, the particle "sees" that distance moving relative to it.
So the particle will only see the distance of how fast its traveling V * how long its traveling for t?

PatrickStar said:
So the particle will only see the distance of how fast its traveling V * how long its traveling for t?
That's the left hand side of the equation, v*t. What is the right hand side? In other words, what is an expression for the Earth-Sun distance when viewed from a frame moving at velocity v relative to the Earth-Sun system?

kuruman said:
That's the left hand side of the equation, v*t. What is the right hand side? In other words, what is an expression for the Earth-Sun distance when viewed from a frame moving at velocity v relative to the Earth-Sun system?
I'm not sure I'm following.

Can you answer the following question?
You have a meter stick that is moving relative to you with velocity 0.8c. You measure the length of the stick while it's moving. What do you get for an answer?

Ohh so are you saying that we have to use the length contraction of L`= L/gamma ?

kuruman said:
Can you answer the following question?
You have a meter stick that is moving relative to you with velocity 0.8c. You measure the length of the stick while it's moving. What do you get for an answer?
Never mind, I just tried using that and didn't really see anything promising so I'm assuming that's not what you were alluding to?

Precisely. The Earth-Sun distance is shortened by gamma in the particle's reference frame.

Likes PatrickStar
PatrickStar said:
Never mind, I just tried using that and didn't really see anything promising so I'm assuming that's not what you were alluding to?
Look again. One side of the equation is v*t. The other side is L/γ and γ has v in it. So ...

Likes PatrickStar
kuruman said:
Precisely. The Earth-Sun distance is shortened by gamma in the particle's reference frame.
I tried solving for v in that case and I got stuck. My process is as follows:
vt = L/gamma
vt = L * sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
vt/L = sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
(v^2 * t^2)/L^2 = 1-v^2/c^2
then to v^2/c^2 = 1 - (v^2 * t^2)/L^2
but after that I just feel like I am going no where

PatrickStar said:
but after that I just feel like I am going no where
Not so. Multiply things out and you'll get a fourth order polynomial in v that looks like Av4+Bv2+C = 0. Replace v2 with y and you have a quadratic equation in y that you can solve. Then v is the appropriate square root of y.

Likes PatrickStar
PatrickStar said:
vt = L/gamma
vt = L * sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
L/gamma is not L * sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). gamma = sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

On edit: It actually is. Sorry for confusing you. gamma = 1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). I must have had a brain lapse.

Last edited:
Likes PatrickStar
kuruman said:
So it would be vt = L/(1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)) or is it just L/(sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)) ?

kuruman said:
As of now, I have worked it out to y^2/c^2 - y + L^2/t^2 = 0 after subbing y = v^2. Does that look right so far?
I went with vt = L / (1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2))

An easy way to remember which way it goes is that γ = sqrt(1-v^2/c^2) is greater than 1. So if you want a shorter length you need to put it in the denominator.

PatrickStar said:
I went with vt = L / (1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2))
You shouldn't have. See post #20.

On edit: I take it back, you should have. I missed the extra 1.

Last edited:
Likes PatrickStar
kuruman said:
Yeah, I wrote it like that but have actually been solving it as if L / (1/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2))
Which has brought me to a stand still at y^2/c^2 - y + L^2/t^2 = 0 after subbing y = v^2. And not knowing how to progress from here

kuruman said:

On edit: I take it back, you should have. I missed the extra 1.
I think I have the right answer of 7.7*10^4.

If that is in m/s it is too slow. Can you show the algebraic expression you used? Also, I apologize for confusing you a bit, but I got confused and turned around, see post #17.

kuruman said:
If that is in m/s it is too slow. Can you show the algebraic expression you used? Also, I apologize for confusing you a bit, but I got confused and turned around, see post #17.
So I went from vt = L/(1/sqrt(1-V^2/C^2)) to
sqrt(1-V^2/C^2) * vt = L
then divided by t
the squared both sides giving me
v^2 * (1 - V^2/C^2) = L^2/t^2
then multiplied out the v^2
set y = v^2
y - y^2/c^2 = L^2/t^2
is that right so far?

$$\frac{L}{\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}} =L~\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}$$
You put the radical on the wrong side before you squared.

Likes PatrickStar
kuruman said:
$$\frac{L}{\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}} =L~\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}$$
You put the radical on the wrong side before you squared.
But now I got 79372 as the answer.
I started with vt = L*sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
then squared both sides
then divided by t^2 and (1-v^2/c^2)
giving me
v^2 / (1-v^2/c^2) = L^2 / t^2
then separated the v^2 into
v^2 - v^2 / v^2 / c^2 = L^2 / t^2
which then I cancled the V^2's
v^2 - c^2 = L^2 / t^2
then added the c to both sides
plugged in L = 1.5 * 10^11 and t = 5 and c = 3 * 10^8
and solved for v giving me 79372

PatrickStar said:
I started with vt = L*sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)
then squared both sides
At this point you get $$v^2t^2=L^2(1-v^2/c^2)$$
Remove the parentheses by distributing L2, then move the v2 over to other side and then factor it out because you have two v2 terms on the left. Then solve for v.

kuruman said:
At this point you get $$v^2t^2=L^2(1-v^2/c^2)$$
Remove the parentheses by distributing L2, then move the v2 over to other side and then factor it out because you have two v2 terms on the left. Then solve for v.
So I did that and got 2.9999 * 10^8. Which is coincidentally the speed of light? or very close to it?

Related to Particle Decay After a Certain Distance

1. What is particle decay after a certain distance?

Particle decay after a certain distance refers to the process in which a particle, such as an atom or subatomic particle, spontaneously breaks down into smaller particles or energy after traveling a certain distance.

2. What causes particle decay after a certain distance?

Particle decay after a certain distance is caused by the instability of certain particles. This instability is due to the imbalance of forces within the particle, leading to the release of energy in the form of radiation or the creation of smaller particles.

3. How is particle decay after a certain distance measured?

Particle decay after a certain distance is measured using various techniques such as particle detectors, accelerators, and spectroscopy. These methods allow scientists to observe the particles and their decay products to determine the distance traveled before decay.

4. What is the significance of studying particle decay after a certain distance?

Studying particle decay after a certain distance helps scientists understand the fundamental properties of matter and the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. This knowledge is crucial for advancements in fields such as nuclear physics, particle physics, and cosmology.

5. Can particle decay after a certain distance be controlled or manipulated?

No, particle decay after a certain distance is a spontaneous process and cannot be controlled or manipulated. However, scientists can study the factors that influence decay to better understand and predict its behavior.