Can Two Particle-in-a-Box Systems Interact to Affect Entropy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of compression work and the presence of a hot particle-in-a-box on the energy states and entropy of a quantum particle-in-a-box. The conclusion is that the hot particle-in-a-box will transfer energy to the original particle, causing it to inhabit higher energy levels and increase the entropy. However, there is some uncertainty about the correct answer, as the details of the problem are not provided.
WombatWithANuke
It is interesting to consider why sufficiently slow work does not tend to increase entropy. We can model atoms as a collection of quantum particle-in-a-box’s; Compression work will tend to squeeze the size of these quantum boxes, reducing L.

Now, suppose instead that you left this quantum particle-in-a-box next to a second “hot” particle-in-abox; What effect would this have on the energy states of the original particle-in-a-box? What effect would this have on what states the particle can inhabit? What effect does this have on the entropy?

My thought for the answer is that the hot particle-in-a-box will loose energy giving it to the original particle-in-a-box which will increase the entropy and this would cause the particle to inhabit energy levels higher than ground state.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you wrote is basically correct, but I do have to say that I fail to see the point.

I realize I didn't really add a point to the post haha, this is a problem from homework that I wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly. Because I did posted to another forum and they seemed to think that the original particle-in-a-box would decrease in energy and the entropy would decrease but that didn't make sense to me because the original particle-in-a-box already seemed to be in the ground state. So it couldn't loose more energy. Is my reasoning correct?

WombatWithANuke said:
Is my reasoning correct?
I have no idea. You'll have to post the problem in the homework forum so we can see the details.

1. What is the Particle-in-a-box problem?

The Particle-in-a-box problem is a simplified model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of a particle confined within a one-dimensional box. The box represents the boundaries within which the particle is confined, and the particle is assumed to have no potential energy outside the box.

2. What is the significance of the Particle-in-a-box problem?

The Particle-in-a-box problem is significant because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, such as wave-particle duality and the quantization of energy. It also serves as a building block for more complex quantum mechanical systems.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Particle-in-a-box problem?

The Particle-in-a-box problem makes the following assumptions: the particle is confined within a one-dimensional box, the potential energy outside the box is zero, and the walls of the box are infinitely high.

4. How is the Particle-in-a-box problem solved?

The Particle-in-a-box problem is solved by applying the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. The solution yields a set of allowed energy levels and corresponding wave functions for the particle within the box.

5. What are the applications of the Particle-in-a-box problem?

The Particle-in-a-box problem has various applications in physics, chemistry, and materials science. It is used to understand the electronic structure of atoms and molecules, the behavior of electrons in semiconductors, and the properties of nanoscale materials. It also has applications in fields such as quantum computing and quantum information processing.