Particle in a changed box

In summary, the problem-statement is to find the smallest possible expectation value of energy, <E>, and the corresponding values of c₁ and c₃.
Ashkan95
Homework Statement
Use variation method and Find approximate answer for enegies and coefficient c1 and c2
Relevant Equations
The all equations in the photo
darkFuzzy01.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @Ashkan95 ,
:welcome: ##\qquad## !​
Your 'please tell me' is NOT a problem statement. See PF guidelines , where we also 'ask' you to post an attempt at solution. Then we can help.

The ##f## you quote are for an unmodified box. Are they valid here ?

##\ ##

BvU said:
Hello @Ashkan95 ,
:welcome: ##\qquad## !​
Your 'please tell me' is NOT a problem statement. See PF guidelines , where we also 'ask' you to post an attempt at solution. Then we can help.

The ##f## you quote are for an unmodified box. Are they valid here ?
But I don't know anything about this problem, phi is a function that we choose to guess the enegies and c1 and c3 and f1 and f3 because c2 is zero, in fact with changing in the shape of the box we want to find enegies E1 and E 3

Ah, I see. So there IS a problem statement :wink: . Read it to us, carefully.

Basically you haven't collected enough equations to start doing anything :nb) .
What equations do the unknown variables and the unknown function have to satisfy ?

##\ ##

Last edited:
BvU said:
Ah, I see. So there IS a problem statement. Read it to us, carefully.

Basically you haven't colected enough equations to start doing anything.

##\ ##
What equations should I collect?my master said this is all we need.please help me 🥺😔

Your master thinks you know what to do. You don't. Apparently you have forgotten something.

You still haven't posted a problem statement. Do that and I'll ask you an 'oh, of course!' question.

I have to go. Ask yourself: is this an approximate ##\phi## we are looking for, or an exact one ?
Whatever, it has to satisfy the Schroedinger equation. And I suppose you are looking for a steady state ? Aha!

##\ ##

BvU said:
I have to go. Ask yourself: is this an approximate ##\phi## we are looking for, or an exact one ?
Whatever, it has to satisfy the Schroedinger equation. And I suppose you are looking for a steady state ? Aha!

##\ ##
I posted a problem statement, now please help me 😂, and yeah I want approximate answer for enegies and c1 and c3

Ashkan95 said:
I posted a problem statement
Where? Which words are the problem statement?

berkeman said:
Where? Which words are the problem statement?
I can't understand what do you people want , what do you mean by problem statement?

Your modified version is a lot better already than "please tell me" :smile: !
Use variation method and Find approximate answer for enegies and coefficient c1 and c2
Even answers some of my questions ! (new: did c3 disappear? And you found c2 = 0; how?)

So it's an approximation we are looking for. Something gets varied and something gets minimized. You must have something in your notes(textbook, handout, ...) that should be added to the list of equations we are going to solve !

I find it an interesting exercise, but it's been a while since I did things like that, so you'll have to help me a little bit too.

##\ ##

Ashkan95 said:
... what do you mean by problem statement?
Hi @Ashkan95. Maybe you can confirm (or otherwise) that the problem-statement is this:
For the potential well and wave functions (f₁ and f₃) given in the Post #1 diagram, consider the wave function Φ = c₁f₁ + c₃f₃. Us the variational method to find (for Φ) the smallest possible expectation value of energy, <E>, and the corresponding values of c₁ and c₃.​
Note:
It might be that the actual question is to estimate the ground-state energy, E₀. But the method is the same – we find <E>. Since <E> is equal to or larger than E₀, that means <E> is an upper limit on the value of E₀. And if Φ is a decent approximation to the true ground-state wave function, then <E> will be a decent approximation to E₀.

Likes PhDeezNutz and berkeman

1. What is a particle in a changed box?

A particle in a changed box is a theoretical concept in physics that involves a particle confined within a box with changing dimensions or properties.

2. How does a particle behave in a changed box?

The behavior of a particle in a changed box is dependent on the specific changes made to the box. In general, the particle's behavior can be described using mathematical equations such as the Schrödinger equation.

3. What is the significance of studying a particle in a changed box?

Studying a particle in a changed box allows scientists to better understand the behavior of particles in confined spaces and to make predictions about their behavior in more complex systems.

4. Can a particle in a changed box exist in the real world?

While the concept of a particle in a changed box is a useful tool for understanding physics, it is a theoretical construct and does not exist in the real world.

5. What are some real-world applications of the particle in a changed box concept?

The concept of a particle in a changed box has been applied in various fields such as quantum mechanics, nanotechnology, and materials science to study the behavior of particles in confined spaces and to design new materials with specific properties.