Particle in finite well (Schroedinger)

It's nearly 4 am here.In summary, the problem involves a particle with energy greater than the potential in three defined regions. The complete solutions to the Schrodinger equation for each region, including the time and space components, must be written. The condition for the width of the potential to maximize the transmission of a wave from the left must be determined, as well as the minimum possible value for the transmission and the conditions for the width of the potential to satisfy this. The time-independent Schrodinger equation can be used to solve for the spatial part, after which the complete time-and-space solution can be obtained by combining the two pieces. The expressions for k1 and k2 must be corrected, and the expression for T must
elninio0397

Homework Statement

A particle with energy greater than the potential is defined as below:

V(x) = Vo (x<0)

V(x) = 0 (0<x<a)

V(x) = Vo (x>a)

a) Write the complete solutions (time and space) to the S. Eqn for the 3 regions

b) What condition must the width of the potential satisfy for the transmission of a wave from the left to be a maximum?

c) What is the minimum possible value for the transmission? What conditions must the weidth of the potential satisfy for this?

Homework Equations

None, really. It seems more conceptual.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I am not mistaken, this represents a simple harmonic oscillator.
I believe to have figured out the answer to part A.
Region 2 has the Schrodinger equation:
(-h(bar)/2m)(d2[tex]\psi[/tex]/dx2) + 1/2kx2[tex]\psi[/tex] = ih(bar)d[tex]\psi[/tex]/dt
whose bound state solutions are [tex]\psi[/tex](x,t)=[tex]\psi[/tex](x)e^(-iEt/h(bar))

The solution for Region 1 = Region 3 is:
(-h(bar)/2m)(d2[tex]\psi[/tex]/dx2) + 1/2kx2[tex]\psi[/tex] = ih(bar)d[tex]\psi[/tex]/dt
[tex]\psi[/tex]''(x)=(alpha)2[tex]\psi[/tex](x) where (alpha)2 = (2m/h(bar)2)(V(x)-E)

For problem b, I have an idea that since the wave function is Asinkx, the length (x) would have to be long enough so that it reaches a maximum at the second barrier (sin(pi/2)).

I could be going about this problem completely wrong. I've read through the textbook many times and it just doesn't reach this level of detail.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
elninio0397 said:

Homework Statement

A particle with energy greater than the potential is defined as below:

V(x) = Vo (x<0)

V(x) = 0 (0<x<a)

V(x) = Vo (x>a)

a) Write the complete solutions (time and space) to the S. Eqn for the 3 regions

b) What condition must the width of the potential satisfy for the transmission of a wave from the left to be a maximum?

c) What is the minimum possible value for the transmission? What conditions must the weidth of the potential satisfy for this?

Homework Equations

None, really. It seems more conceptual.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I am not mistaken, this represents a simple harmonic oscillator.
You are mistaken. You're told what V(x) equals, and it's clearly not V(x)=1/2 kx2.
I believe to have figured out the answer to part A.
Region 2 has the Schrodinger equation:
whose bound state solutions are [tex]\psi[/tex](x,t)=[tex]\psi[/tex](x)e^(-iEt/h(bar))

The solution for Region 1 = Region 3 is:
[tex]\psi[/tex]''(x)=(alpha)2[tex]\psi[/tex](x) where (alpha)2 = (2m/h(bar)2)(V(x)-E)

For problem b, I have an idea that since the wave function is Asinkx, the length (x) would have to be long enough so that it reaches a maximum at the second barrier (sin(pi/2)).

I could be going about this problem completely wrong. I've read through the textbook many times and it just doesn't reach this level of detail.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Use the time-independent Schrodinger equation. You're given the potential, so just plug it in and solve, with the assumption that E>V0. The idea is to solve the equation in the three regions and then join the solutions together smoothly at the boundaries. At x=0, you require [itex]\psi(0^-)=\psi(0^+)[/itex] and [itex]\psi'(0^-)=\psi'(0^+), and you have similar conditions at x=a.

I'm afraid you have me confused then. How is it that I can use the time-independant S. Equation when the problem specifically asks for a complete time and space solution?

I've reworked my solution for part a and have come up with the following solutions:

For the region in the well - [tex]\psi[/tex](x,t) = Aexp(ik2x)exp(iwt) + Bexp(-ik2x)exp(-iwt) where k2=((2mE)^-1/2)/hbar.

For the region outside the well - d^2[tex]\psi[/tex]/dx^2 + 2m/hbar^2 (E-V0)[tex]\psi[/tex] = 0 which has the solution [tex]\psi[/tex](x) = Aexp(ik1x)exp(-iwt) + Bexp(-ik1x)exp(-iwt) where k1=((2m(E-V0))^-1/2)/hbar.

Assuming this is correct, how are parts b and c accomplished?

My work for part b)
T=1 occurs when sin^2(k1a)=0 from the equation T= 1 + (sin^2(k1a))/(4(E/V0)((E/V0-1)) = 1

I'm still stumped for part c. How can this equation become lower than 1 and how could I find this minimum value?

Last edited:
elninio0397 said:
I'm afraid you have me confused then. How is it that I can use the time-independent S. Equation when the problem specifically asks for a complete time and space solution?
Sorry, I missed that. In any case, the time dependence separates out, so you use the time-independent equation to solve for the spatial part and put the two pieces together to get the complete time-and-space solution. Your book should show how that works. Or you can refer to http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/SchroedingerEquation.html.
elninio0397 said:
I've reworked my solution for part a and have come up with the following solutions:

For the region in the well - [tex]\psi[/tex](x,t) = Aexp(ik2x)exp(iwt) + Bexp(-ik2x)exp(-iwt) where k2=((2mE)^-1/2)/hbar.

For the region outside the well - d^2[tex]\psi[/tex]/dx^2 + 2m/hbar^2 (E-V0)[tex]\psi[/tex] = 0 which has the solution [tex]\psi[/tex](x) = Aexp(ik1x)exp(-iwt) + Bexp(-ik1x)exp(-iwt) where k1=((2m(E-V0))^-1/2)/hbar.
You have made some algebra errors. The expressions for k1 and k2 are wrong. You need to fix those before you go on.
Assuming this is correct, how are parts b and c accomplished?

My work for part b)
T=1 occurs when sin^2(k1a)=0 from the equation T= 1 + (sin^2(k1a))/(4(E/V0)((E/V0-1)) = 1

I'm still stumped for part c. How can this equation become lower than 1 and how could I find this minimum value?
Your expression for T is wrong. It can't exceed 1.

...Misread my own notes for T. =1 should read ^-1.

Thank you for all your help thus far. I'll get back at it in the morning..

How exactly do I find the expressions for k1 and k2? The ones that I took came from a similar example done in class. I can't find any information regarding how k is found, I can only find concrete values for specific examples.

Well, you really shouldn't be taking them from anywhere. You should be solving the Schrodinger equation and deriving the results on your own.

In the middle region (0<x<a), you have V(x)=0, so the time-independent Schrodinger equation reduces to

[tex]-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}\psi''(x) = E\psi[/tex]

After a little rearranging, you get

[tex]\psi''(x)+\frac{2mE}{\hbar^2}\psi(x)=0[/tex]

This is a simple, second-order linear differential equation with constant coefficients. What are its solutions?

Related to Particle in finite well (Schroedinger)

What is a particle in a finite well?

A particle in a finite well is a physical system in which a particle is confined to a finite region by a potential barrier. This system is often described using the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of studying particles in finite wells?

Studying particles in finite wells allows us to understand the behavior of quantum particles in confined systems. This has important applications in many areas of physics, such as solid state physics and nuclear physics. It also helps us to develop a better understanding of quantum mechanics and its underlying principles.

How is the Schrödinger equation used to describe a particle in a finite well?

The Schrödinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantum system, such as a particle in a finite well, evolves over time. It takes into account the potential energy of the system and the parameters that describe the particle, such as its mass and energy. By solving the Schrödinger equation, we can determine the probability distribution of the particle's position and momentum in the finite well.

What are the energy levels of a particle in a finite well?

The energy levels of a particle in a finite well are quantized, meaning they can only have certain discrete values. The lowest energy level, called the ground state, has the most probability of containing the particle. Higher energy levels have more nodes and correspond to higher energy states for the particle.

What boundary conditions are used to solve the Schrödinger equation for a particle in a finite well?

The boundary conditions used to solve the Schrödinger equation for a particle in a finite well depend on the shape of the potential barrier. For a rectangular well, the boundary conditions are that the wave function must be continuous and differentiable at the boundaries of the well. For a triangular well, the boundary conditions are that the wave function must go to zero at the boundaries of the well.