Particular Solution to Non-homogeneous Second Order DE

In summary, the value of c in the particular solution for the given differential equation is determined by substituting the solution into the equation and solving for c. The suggested solution in the textbook is incorrect and the correct value is c = 10.5.
BOAS

Homework Statement

Find a particular solution to
##y'' - 3y' + 2y = 6x^2##

I don't understand how/why the value of c has been determined. I'm hoping it is a mistake in the solution, but knowing me, it's probably my mistake.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

assume a solution of the form ##y = ax^2 + bx + c##, then

##y' = 2ax + b## and

##y'' = 2a##

Subbing this into our DE gives

##2a - 6ax - 3b + 2ax^2 + 2bx + 2c = 6x^2##.

##a = 3## to complete the ##x^2## terms.

##b = 9## to cancel the ##x## term.

and I think ##c = 10.5## but the solution states that ##c = 2.5##

What's going on here?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:

Homework Statement

Find a particular solution to
##y'' - 3y' + 2y = 6x^2##

I don't understand how/why the value of c has been determined. I'm hoping it is a mistake in the solution, but knowing me, it's probably my mistake.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

assume a solution of the form ##y = ax^2 + bx + c##, then

##y' = 2ax + b## and

##y'' = 2a##

Subbing this into our DE gives

##2a - 6ax - 3b + 2ax^2 + 2bx + 2c = 6x^2##.

##a = 3## to complete the ##x^2## terms.

##b = 9## to cancel the ##x## term.

and I think ##c = 10.5## but the solution states that ##c = 2.5##

What's going on here?

Thanks.
Your solution is correct, c=10.5.

Likes BOAS
BOAS said:
and I think c=10.5 c = 10.5 but the solution states that c=2.5 c = 2.5

What's going on here?
It's very easy to check, and something that you should always do.
Substitute your solution, y = 3x2 + 9x + 10.5 into the differential equation to see if you get 6x2. Doing this should convince you that your solution is correct. If you do the same with the textbook's solution, you can see that it is incorrect.

Related to Particular Solution to Non-homogeneous Second Order DE

1. What is a particular solution to a non-homogeneous second order differential equation?

A particular solution to a non-homogeneous second order differential equation is a specific solution that satisfies the given equation and all of its initial conditions. It is a unique solution that is determined by the specific form of the non-homogeneous term in the equation.

2. How is a particular solution different from a general solution?

A general solution to a non-homogeneous second order differential equation includes both a particular solution and the complementary function. The complementary function is the solution to the associated homogeneous equation. A particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the given non-homogeneous equation and initial conditions, while the complementary function is any solution that satisfies the associated homogeneous equation.

3. Can a particular solution be found without knowing the complementary function?

Yes, a particular solution can be found without knowing the complementary function. This is because the particular solution is determined by the specific form of the non-homogeneous term in the equation and the initial conditions, which can be used to solve for the coefficients in the particular solution.

4. How can the method of undetermined coefficients be used to find a particular solution?

The method of undetermined coefficients is a common method for finding a particular solution to a non-homogeneous second order differential equation. It involves assuming a particular form for the particular solution, plugging it into the equation, and solving for the coefficients by equating coefficients of the terms on both sides of the equation.

5. When is the method of variation of parameters used to find a particular solution?

The method of variation of parameters is used to find a particular solution to a non-homogeneous second order differential equation when the non-homogeneous term is not a polynomial or when the method of undetermined coefficients fails. It involves finding a particular solution by using a linear combination of the complementary function and its derivatives.